Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Dick Koch

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Dick Koch »

These pictures are of the 60/40 seats in my Convertible. The seat back stops are mounted with a screw top and bottom on the outside end of the seat. Looks like l need new ones. I checked the green SF with swivel seats and there are none. I had the seats re-upholstered and later added plastic covers so I'm not sure if the swivel seats head them. I will check Charlene tomorrow but it has new upholstery also.
Dick
20171103_210233.jpg
20171103_210252.jpg
20171103_210302.jpg
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:35 pm Answer to hose routing. Go to Dicks Convertible project page 18.
Me.
Thassit! You even got the firewall right.

image.jpeg
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:23 pm These pictures are of the 60/40 seats in my Convertible. The seat back stops are mounted with a screw top and bottom on the outside end of the seat. Looks like l need new ones. I checked the green SF with swivel seats and there are none. I had the seats re-upholstered and later added plastic covers so I'm not sure if the swivel seats head them. I will check Charlene tomorrow but it has new upholstery also.
Dick
Hmmm... I'll have to feel around the upholstery to see if I can find what these screwed into, and if they are still there. I wonder what size that screw is.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

There are 4 water hoses (not counting the 2 to th radiator).
All sides are when you stand in front of the car.

1: the small one that goes from the right side of the water pump to the intake manifold
2: the right side of the heater box goes to the water pump
3: the lower connector from the heater box goes to the left side of the heater control valve (so closest to the hood hinge
4: right side of the heater control valve goes to the front of the intake manifold

The hoses at the heater control valve should cross over as there is an inlet and an outlet
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks, Matthew. This time around, I'm going to get a molded bypass hose from Rock Auto - there was a flexible piece of hose between the water pump and thermostat before, and it flattened out where it bent.

I finished the rockers today, using a 6 foot, 1/2" piece of Schedule 40 PVC, glued to a PVC connector, and taped to my Harbor Freight shop vac. It really worked well, rattling the PVC as I went back and forth. You could tell when it picked up something too big to vacuum up, it would occlude the tubing and the vacuum whine would shift to a higher frequency. I'd pull it back out, remove the shard - lather, rinse, repeat.

I alternated between vacuum and blowing a couple of times, and ended up cleaning out a lot of detritus - both sides. Then, I bombed the hell out of the inner rocker with Eastwood frame coating, through the drain holes - and the same for the outer rocker, through the clip holes. Two cans worth - because, I always do what Dick tells me to do. I could tell it was coating well, by the spray that would come out holes to the left and the right of the hole where I was spraying.

IMG_4914.JPG
IMG_4912.JPG
IMG_4917.JPG
Imported Idaho wasp nest from inside the rocker

Now, to do the insides of the door skins - and oh yeah, I forgot the trunk weatherstrip rail, and the deck lid lip that Dick warned me about. Then, on to detail the engine compartment. Spring paint job? It's starting to look possible.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Wow! We have had our share of wasp nest this year..How they get into these places? Never ceases to amaze me. Ingenious cleaning tool, good thinking.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

A chilly day in the Faulkner garage, so I finally hooked up the heater and turned it on...

IMG_4989.JPG

...and within 15 minutes had to turn it off, it got to be too warm. Of course, it's chilly, not cold - but I'm hopeful this means it will take the edge off during the winter months when I hope to do mechanicals. And when I paint the inner fenders! But first to finish up rustproofing - on to the doorskins.

Years ago - probably fourteen, when I still lived in Haddonfield, NJ - I had used Eastwood red rust encapsulator on the driver's side door. It's held up well, but I only did the bottom. This time, I'm scraping anything loose from the skin and painting or spraying everything I can reach. (The lithium grease is in the mail, Dick.)

IMG_4990.JPG
IMG_4993.JPG

The passenger side needs a lot more attention - everything is now scraped, ready for ospho and encapsulation:

IMG_4977.JPG
IMG_4978.JPG

I'm also removing the dried out weatherstripping as I go (I have replacement from Goers I bought years ago, and never installed).

IMG_4973.JPG
Along the bottom, there's this wire retainer - I guess to prevent sag? Have any of you reinstalled it when you replaced weatherstrip?
IMG_4980.JPG
I took a wire wheel in a drill to the remnants of weatherstrip I couldn't scrape off with a putty knife
IMG_4981.JPG
IMG_4984.JPG
IMG_4986.JPG
IMG_4988.JPG
Lots of rust on the lower edge of the passenger door. This will get the ospho/rust encapsulator treatment
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Well, whadayaknow... It was already at the front door. Amazon delivers on Sunday, doncha know.
IMG_4995.JPG
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Password works, keeping it. What's with the lithium grease? Must be my age.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Remember this post, Dick?
Dick Koch wrote:Dan l recommend you get a tub of white grease and with a light of some kind smear the grease on the window operating mechanisms moving points, sliders, rollers, exposed gears etc. It's a messy job but well worth it. It's easier with your fingers than a brush.
Dick
You know I always do everything you tell me to do...

Dan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Oh yea, l forgetted bout dat. The wondows on vert work so easy its crazy.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Nothing done in the Faulkner garage this past weekend - it was time to clean gutters, rake leaves, stack firewood, etc. And next weekend, I'm off to a conference for work, so it will be a while before I finish the door skins.

But, I did get my heater cores back from the radiator shop!

IMG_5060.JPG
That's Faulkner's on top

Faulkner's heater had been disconnected - I was never sure why, and thought perhaps the core was leaking. When Roger Howard (remember him? :roll: ) offered his stash for sale, I jumped at the chance to buy one from him. And so, it sat on the shelf for another day...

I had them both pressure-checked - the one I removed from Faulkner, and the one I got from Roger. They are both good! So I can only guess there was some other problem with the heater - perhaps it was stuck on. I have a NOS control and lots of heater parts, so I should be able to get things back in working order.

Dan
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

It's great to have good replacement parts., especially heater and cooling system. these are getting rare.

I miss Roger Howard... He had a lot of helpful information
big m

Post by big m »

Dan,

9 out of ten times, it's the heater valve diaphragm that has ruptured causing a water leak. Have you removed and tested the valve?

They are cheap and easy to rebuild.

---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Hi John,
big m wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:36 am 9 out of ten times, it's the heater valve diaphragm that has ruptured causing a water leak. Have you removed and tested the valve?

They are cheap and easy to rebuild.
For a minute there, I thought you were talking about my basement plumbing :oops: I actually have a NOS unit sitting on the shelf, when I put things back together I'll be using it - then, I'll be sending you the old one for refurbishing. (You provide that service, as I recall.)

Dan