Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Faulkner

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Faulkner »

eroomas wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 3:56 pm I need to do this
...and I need to get my butt in gear! I'm surprised Dick hasn't hollered at me for not getting back out to the garage. Well, it all has to do with a family trip to Ireland that begins next week (four sibs, all told), and the planning that goes along with it. But when I'm back - look out!

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
eroomas

Post by eroomas »

Have fun in Ireland, sounds like it'll be a great trip.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Whew, what a job crating Faulkners splashpan and valence. Crate is 23 x 15 x 76 and weighs a LOT. Will have to ship motot freight, to heavy and big for UPS or FedEx. The parts themselves weigh hardly anhthing its the crate. Let me know when to ship it so someone will be there to receive it.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Holy Smokes, Dick! What a job that must have been.

Thursday evening, Mary Kay and I leave for Ireland, Wales and England. When I return two Sundays later, I'll do my wash, pack up and head to San Fran for a conference (I'll be a zombie, but hey, you know, San Fran). I'm back 5/26. Can I ask you to hold off shipping until then, or will Yvonne have your hide? I hope it's not sitting in your living room... Hey, will it work as a coffee table? :o :P
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Hey, I finally got something done on Faulkner.

I opened up the crate that Dick sent, containing parts that he worked on for Faulkner! 8)

I started off with the Weenie Hammer (TM) and a toy crowbar. But no box that Dick Koch builds will come apart with that! So I called out the big guns:

IMG_3753.JPG
IMG_3754.JPG

Peeking through!

IMG_3755.JPG

See, Dick likes to play this little game with me; I send him banged-up crap, beyond redemption, and he sends me NOS back. Look at the quality of this work:

IMG_3756.JPG
IMG_3757.JPG
IMG_3758.JPG

Hey, I got it, Dick - how 'bout I crate up Faulkner, and just ship him down? I'm gonna check numbers when he comes back, though :o :lol:

Many thanks, yet again, my friend.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

My pleasure, glad you like it. Don't send Faulkner, no room on the lift. I have a better idea, when you finish Faulkner's redo, drive down and the four of us can do Florida stuff.
Dick.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:52 pm ... when you finish Faulkner's redo...
Yeah. "When" being the operative word :oops: :cry: I was hoping you would have shipped the chains with the splash and valance, with Matthew coming I want to seize the opportunity.

Well, that's OK - T.W. SAM got his butt out to the garage today and, despite it being 102 F (Oops! Time to open the windows and drop the screens), I did manage to fix one of the floorboard holes.

IMG_3763.JPG
First, I cleaned out all of the loose rust from the supporting frame under the hole, using a screwdriver and reversing the shop vac
IMG_3764.JPG
Sprayed the hell out of it with Eastwood frame coating
IMG_3765.JPG
Cut a piece of 18 gauge shim stock, drilled for a pop-rivet and used the same to hold in place while I drilled for the others
IMG_3766.JPG
Used some of the Eastwood seam sealer paste that Dick sent up with Matthew (Did I mention he's coming? And that I'm hoping to chain him to Faulkner?)
IMG_3767.JPG
Then set the plate in place with pop-rivets, and seam-sealed the whole shebang.

I'll seam-seal from underneath and coat with rust encapsulator to give it a uniform look.

I have another hole on the passenger side, when I'm done with that I'll rust proof the interior floorboards and start laying down the XMat.

Dan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Who was it that said "little by little". Two 20 inch fans worked for me. Like your seam sealed patch, should last a long time. Get your own chains, I'm keeping mine just in case he comes back.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Some more pichuhs. Doing everything I can, to avoid crawling under the front end to detail it like the rest of the undercarriage. The hole on the passenger side was larger than on the driver's side, but amazingly the rest of the floorboards are in excellent shape. All cleaned up and rust encapsulated - now for X-Mat, and then onto the trunk. Come on down and show me how it's done, Mark! I've got timers.
IMG_3782.JPG
IMG_3783.JPG
IMG_3784.JPG
IMG_3785.JPG
IMG_3786.JPG
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Looking like new! You are doing great 8)
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Man, who lit the fire, keep up the pace and it won't be long before we will be doing Florida stuff!
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Trunk time. As with the interior compartment, my goal was not to remove the undercoating if it was tight, and not cracked. I tested spots with a screwdriver and removed a lot of loose pieces, but some of it remains.

It was not a fun way to spend my day - lying cramped inside a trunk, scraping and wire brushing, ospho-ing and painting. I reached as far forward as I could, I'll put the windows up and give a good dousing with spray. Getting to the rear window lower trim holes was not easy, but I got it done - painted all under-surfaces, including up inside the fins. At one point Nick Sterling must have dropped a bunch of 3d finishing nails in the trunk, a lot of them ended up wedged in the crease between body panels in the license plate area. But lots of screwdriver action with the shop vac loosened them up and out.

Pichuhs. Yeah, I missed a spot! I'll save for another day. I think I'll do the inside of the door skins before I start laying X-Mat - and judiciously use white grease on the pieces parts, like Doc '59 tole me to do. And you know, I do everything he tells me to do...

IMG_3800.JPG
IMG_3801.JPG
IMG_3802.JPG
looking up into the tail fin from ground zero
IMG_3803.JPG
just to keep drippy drabs from oozing out
IMG_3804.JPG
IMG_3805.JPG
Feels good to be (mostly) done!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I thought all those little white pieces were toilet paper and you had just finished shaving your femder. Quit complaining and enjoy yourself, after all you are getting all that labor free. You will have more money to spend doing Florida stuff. Dont loose your vision. Ya doin good.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

95F in the garage today! Balmy Florida weather.

I figured I better deal with some of the things other folks will be doing for me, so they can be working on them while I'm working on Faulkner. So I pulled the radiator today, after removing the headlight buckets. Those pieces parts will need some cleaning up - lots and lots of little projects!

IMG_3826.JPG
IMG_3829.JPG

There's a reputable radiator shop nearby, based on reviews on a local classic car forum. I hope they're open tomorrow, because I'm off. I've seen worse - but, I've seen better. I'll definitely ask if they can add a third row when they recore it.

IMG_3828.JPG
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

OK, the radiator is in the shop for a recore (three rows) - and, to pop that dent out of the top tank that has been bothering me for all these years. It being the Fourth of July and all, and classic cars being as American as you can get, I'm out in the garage fiddling with removing the shroud.

At first I thought, I'll turn this 7/8" night right off that holds the bottom of the shroud to the frame - but, the bolt is turning. Ah! I have to remove the center piece to get to the nut inside the shroud. And what to my wondering eyes should appear:

IMG_3843.JPG
IMG_3839.JPG

It's a collar nut with a flat spot on it. Looks like I have to wedge something between the flat spot and the shroud - front, or back? What have folks done to get this off?

It looks rusty as hell - I wire-brushed it as best I could, and soaked it in liquid wrench. But some of the threads look corroded. I'm hoping for a happy ending here. Thoughts?

Happy Fourth of July everybody!