Padded steering wheel center wanted

Looking for something? Post it here!
big m

Padded steering wheel center wanted

Post by big m »

Padded steering wheel center needed for '59 Deluxe wheel. If anyone has one, or knows a source for reproductions, please let me know.

---John
In rust we trust!
Dick Koch

Re: Padded steering wheel center wanted

Post by Dick Koch »

John - That's a tough one, I've seen whole steering wheels on ebay. Rare to find one that's not cracked, I would imagine one could be formed by heating and shaping the vinyl but that's a guess. Contact and send a picture to SMS and see what they say.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

John, as far as I know, no one is reproducing these. I found one in decent shape on eBay, and added it to my wheel after I had Koch's Steering Wheel Restoration recast it (they don't do these anymore, either).

Here's what's left of my original center pad - you're welcome to have it, as well as the chrome center trim, if you think you can do anything with it. It would take a whole lot of vinyl patching! (You can see from the length of the chrome trim, the pad has also shrunken quite a bit.)

Dan
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
big m

Post by big m »

Thanks for the offer, Dan, although I have several in like condition.

Guess I'll have to root around some more!!

---John
In rust we trust!
big m

Post by big m »

A big thanks to Dick Koch for spying a steering wheel with a good horn ring pad on e-bay. Now I just have to rebuild the foam portion.

---John
In rust we trust!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - Go to "Show your Ride" page 2, "Dick's 59 Red and White Sport Fury Restoration", go to page 12. There you will find some pictures of rebuilding my Steering Wheel. I found an excellent blue pad on ebay and painted it the same red as the dash pad, come out nice, I found some foam that was used to ship something to me and used it under the pad. Hope this helps.
Dick.

(Here's a direct link to the topic: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1344&start=165#p13056 -Dan)
schlaaj

Post by schlaaj »

I have one in pretty decent shape. I found an NOS steering wheel center pad from AMS Obsolete Parts out of Fairmont Georgia 706-243-6368. Cost me $410.00. They may have another in their stock. The pad that was on my car faded from a dark brown to a black due to exposure to the sun over the years. When I recieved the new NOS pad I lucked out and the color was the dark brown that I wanted. I got some upholstery paint in a spray can (correct color) and repainted the original from the black to a dark brown. If interested I can send picks of the one I removed.

Also, Just Dashes 1-800-247-3274 has experience recovering this particular pad. I can send a photo of one they redid. Let me know.

P.S. I am looking for a pair of bumper wings for my 59. I am going up to Carlisle Pa. Mopar event this weekend - see if I will luck out and find a pair.

Regards,

Art Schlachter (Danville, Ky)
aschlachter@roadrunner.com
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Dick Koch wrote:John - Go to "Show your Ride" page 2, "Dick's 59 Red and White Sport Fury Restoration", go to page 12. There you will find some pictures of rebuilding my Steering Wheel. I found an excellent blue pad on ebay and painted it the same red as the dash pad, come out nice, I found some foam that was used to ship something to me and used it under the pad. Hope this helps.
Dick.

(Here's a direct link to the topic: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1344&start=165#p13056 -Dan)
Dick, thanks for the helpful tip on the steering wheel center foam! I bought earlier this year an original Un cracked steering wheel off of E bay (the slightly yellowed acrylic type) and have been wondering how to do the foam part but now I know how to do it.

Did you check pin the fabric in with the horizontal Plymouth piece? Or was it glued all the way around after you stretched it?

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Duh! Wa chu talkin bout "check pin". I really don't remember how I secured it, sorry.
Dick
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dick Koch wrote:Duh! Wa chu talkin bout "check pin". I really don't remember how I secured it, sorry.
Dick
Yeah, looking at my post I don't know what I meant by Check Pin, but it was the way you rolled the fabric in to the Horizontal bar (pinning it) but I will figure it out..

thanks!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Jdrich

Post by Jdrich »

Did you ever find one ???

thanks
Jdrich
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Not as of yet, I have my original center piece (now unpadded and in bare metal) and have not spent the time to see if I can put some foam on it and put fabric over it yet.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Ken Jacob

Post by Ken Jacob »

John,

I have one but I want to trade it for a right front bumper extension from a '58 Plymouth.

Ken
Ken Jacob

Post by Ken Jacob »

Ken Jacob wrote:John,

I have one but I want to trade it for a right front bumper extension from a '58 Plymouth.

Ken
Sorry, too late last night when I wrote this. I have the right one. I need the left one. Thanks!

Ken
big m

Post by big m »

I bought the horn ring pad last spring, so I'm good there. If I run across the bumper extension, I'll let you know, but I'm pretty sure I do not have one currently.

---John
In rust we trust!