The Suburban

jaydogg

The Suburban

Post by jaydogg »

IMG_1081.JPG

So this project started a few years ago and was going to be a quick get her back on the road in original condition project.....
It is now a frame off resto with some modifications: new rearend with 3:55 posi and A 518 overdrive tranny (727 with an overdrive).
Here are a few pics

IMG_1837.JPG
IMG_1702.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG
IMG_1784.JPG
IMG_2091.JPG
IMG_2157.JPG
The original 59 engine was replaced with a 62 318 so I could use the 518 without an adaptor
IMG_2165.JPG
Tranny fits...need to get new crossmember made to fit behind the original one
IMG_2166.JPG
Todays project complete...dual carb intake on and torqued down.

Had a problem with the frame going to the ground after the engine was put in....Then I figured out I put the torsion bars in while the car wheels were flat on the ground...therefore no torsion..oops...So I pulled them out today and decided to make sure that I didnt mix the right and the left one... The right (passenger) said R 606 ...so I must be good....but I checked the left side anyhow and it said R 604...????????? So somewhere in the life of this wagon someone replaced the driver torsion bar or there was a serious screw up in the factory in 1959....I suspect it was the former. After discussing it with John Fowlie and looking at the parts manual I have decided that I have a torsion bar for the right for a 6 cylinder wagon (MP1) and a torsion bar for the right for a 8 cylinder wagon (MP2)..... Im glad I looked this could have been bad once this is on the road.
So thats where Im at...once the new transmission crossmember is in I will measure for the new drive shaft and this part will get put away and the body started on...May have to modify the tranny tunnel a bit due to the new overdrive but thats what a plasma cutter and welder are for.
more pics to follow.
Dick Koch

Re: The Suburban

Post by Dick Koch »

Jaydog - I've recently seen torsion bar sets for sale on ebay. A member Ed Eckerson listed a pair on ebay, I do not know if he still has them or not.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Opps, sorry John F.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
jaydogg

Post by jaydogg »

I appreciate the heads up on ebay. John is looking for me now so will see what he comes up with.
J
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Nice work!
Love those wagons
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
MAXWEDGECHARLIE

Post by MAXWEDGECHARLIE »

What motor are you using a 360? Was the frame originally a V-8 or 6 Cylinder?
jaydogg

Post by jaydogg »

That is a 1962 318 poly....the original engine was also a 318 but switched to later model due to compatibility issues with the a518 (46rh) transmission. It was originally a 3 sp manual with or but the od was shot so went with the 518 od..... By the way still have the 59 318 engine if anyone interested.