Cowling removal

And, how not to! Show a fellow member how you did it, here
eroomas

Cowling removal

Post by eroomas »

In the process of attempting to remove the passenger side head, it seems that I will first have to remove or at least loosen the cowling. Is there anything I need to know about the process of removing or loosening the cowling? I'm open to any advise. I really didn't want to have to mess with the cowling but it seems I'm not gonna be that lucky. Thanks for any assistance.
20150120_220854(1).jpg
eroomas

Re: Cowling removal

Post by eroomas »

sorry the photo is upside down I really don't know why that happened. :roll:
20150120_220854(1).jpg
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

The picture being upside down is very confusing, a lot in that picture I do not recognize as being a 59 Plymouth. As far as the cowling goes it is not removable, I thing you are referring to the black heater box. I notice the vent tube is still connected to the valve cover, remove that and then remove the valve cover and the head should come right out.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
big m

Post by big m »

Looks like your car has factory air conditioning, is that so? Even with it, I believe the heads can be removed without pulling the evaporator, with the right tools.

---John
In rust we trust!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Eromas & John - My red and white car with the 318 and dual fours is a factory AC car. The heater and evaporator box looks nothing like the pictures eromas sent. There is plenty of room to get the heads out even if you don't remove the valve covers.

The first picture is My AC car before I installed the dual quads. The second picture is of a non AC car, as you can see there is pleanty of room to remove the heads.
Dick
100_1068_1.JPG
93103683-37sm[1].jpg
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
eroomas

Post by eroomas »

Thanks for your reply Dick and Big M. I did manage to get the valve cover off, I just needed figure out the right angle, getting that back bolt out was the biggest challenge because there wasn't much room to pull that long bolt out, but once that was out it was a piece of cake. Thanks Guys