Steering shaft insulator?

Looking for something? Post it here!
eroomas

Steering shaft insulator?

Post by eroomas »

I need a steering shaft insulator. does anyone know where I might find one? Would I be replacing just the rubber or do I need the whole part including the metal housing? Does anyone know what the actual name of the part would be? Should I just Google Steering shaft insulator? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Insulator.jpg
Dick Koch

Re: Steering shaft insulator?

Post by Dick Koch »

There is a split pin that needs to be driven out with a punch to separate the steering shaft from the housing. I don't know how but the housing in your picture attaches to the steering box. The brass strip is a ground strip, there is another rubber piece that fits on the bottom of the shaft housing that also has a piece of brass for grounding. Both parts can be had from Gary Goers. There is a link to his catalog on the site. Search Gary Goers. Also search steering shaft.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Mark Merritt

Re: Steering shaft insulator?

Post by Mark Merritt »

Eroomas2; I just did mine last summer,I got the insulater off Andy Bernbaum,I don't know how to do the "link thing" but go to THE FORWARD LOOK NETWORK,and search "steering column removal, whats wrong". It has good info and pics,the steering shaft is separated by removing the roll pin,I used .020 copper shim stock for the "horn ground strap"about 1/2 inch wide maybe 2 inches or so long,it kind of snakes in there when it goes together.let us know how you make out,also searc our tech forum for info. Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!