Car Hibernation Preparedness Assistance Please

And, how not to! Show a fellow member how you did it, here
eroomas2

Car Hibernation Preparedness Assistance Please

Post by eroomas2 »

Hello All :)

Andy and I think we have a pretty good idea of how to get our car ready for the long storage season ahead (winter! ugh! :cry: ) but we would like some feedback, etc. as this is the first time we've had to put a car away to 'hibernate' through the winter months. In addition, what things should be done during the winter (if anything) to keep the car running properly?

Some things I think you'll ask:

1. Yes, it's in a temperature controlled room.
2. Yes, we bought one of those really thick, ultra - everything car covers.
3. We assume we'll have to put it up on those stilt things (I'm sure Andy knows what they're called ... I'm not the gear head, just the Fury wife :wink: )to prevent tire damage.
4. Yes, we plan on starting it about once a week.

Thanks everyone!! :D
RICKYMOPAR

Re: Car Hibernation Preparedness Assistance Please

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Jack stands? I personally seldom use them. Hanging the unsprung weight on the shock absorbers can damage them. Maybe just raise the vehicle close to the limit.

You do sound really prepared.

I would drive the vehicle if possible, every couple of months.

I lay a large piece of cardboard under the vehicle being stored will help pinpoint leaks that need attention, if you ever get one. Makes cleanup a snap, floor stays clean. Rick
eroomas2

Post by eroomas2 »

Hi Rick,

Thanks so much for your reply. I've a few of follow up questions:

1. As you mentioned you seldom use jack stands, what do you suggest we use in lieu of them?

2. Also, Illinois restricts driving antique cars (unless it's your everyday car, with a different license plate) driving from 1 November through 31 March. During that time, it can only be driven for shows or service (additionally, I must say, they don't know how to take care of the roads down here (I'm from Wisconsin originally and the winter maintenance here never ceases to amaze ... in a bad way) at all). I'm not so sure we'd want to drive it during that time anyways given the road conditions here. Are there alternatives to driving it?

3. We have an oil pan (I think they're called ... flat sheets of aluminium to put under the car to catch leaky stuff) and some card board already under the car. But using it to pinpoint leaks is something I didn't think of ... thanks so much for the tip :D

Thanks again :D
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

I do use jack stands, just not very often. I have heard of an inflatable bladder, but I know of no advantage to using one. I do use full tire or wheel caster cart trays to avoid flat spotting tires. Post Script; Does not work on racing tires.

Fully warming up your vehicle and being able to move it even a few yards, will help keep seals lubed and immerse transmission parts and the entire pinion and ring in oil.

We are very spoiled here in Colorado. We have generally low humidity and occasional warm days through out the winter. I will take the cars out for some serious shake down runs. As John Q. Can attest. No restrictions on our Collector Series Plates yet. Rick
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

And how! No restrictions to us out here. I even run on 1959 Colorado Plates (the antique plates are in the trunk!) Take them out as you see fit! I do drive mine in the winter when there is no snow or sand on the streets. Mostly to church and the super market just for grins :P

Close the car up nice and tight to keep the mice out. Fill the tank with gas and out some Sta-Bil in the tank. This will keep the gas from going sour even during the winter months. I do this for my lawn mower too. Air up the tires good too! Car cover in the garage will do fine to keep dust and critters out. Hate spiders!

Change the oil, top off the radiator, Rick's idea of cardboard under the car will ID the leaks to attend to in the spring. I am sure if your roads are clear once or twice around the block to get the car up to operating temperatures and gaskets and seals lubricated will go along way to have a happy Spring Time fire up. Chances are slim the cops are waiting for you to do this.

See you in the spring!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/