Differential parts?

Looking for something? Post it here!
eroomas

Differential parts?

Post by eroomas »

It looks like I might need to rebuild my Differential. I have no idea where to start my search for refurbished parts. I sure would appreciate advice. Thanks
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Differential parts?

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Is yours a Sure Grip (Posi style) or an open style (non-posi) of 8 3/4 carrier? I had last year a local shop put in a Pinion seal in mine do to a slow leak, so I know those are available.

But spider gears and such may be harder to find unless they are universal in most of Mopar's 8 3/4 drop out sections. Need more info on what type of rebuild you are thinking you might need. Also get the last 3 digits from the part number cast into the side of the drop out section.

Everything is tied to that number as far as parts to fix them.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
eroomas2

Post by eroomas2 »

Hi John,

Ok, I told Andy about what you need. I think he'll try to get that info in the next day or two. Thanks so much for your help :D
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Mopar Ricky (Rick Clapham) is real good on this stuff. Once we get this info I will make sure Rick has this info to see what parts are still available and what can be swapped out.

He is on the Forum almost daily so he will see it. John Fowlie (Bib M) is pretty well versed too and he has a lot of 59 era cars that have the same 8 3/4" center sections that would work with our tapered axles in his recycling yard in California.

Latter Mopars (all the way into the late 70's) stilled used the 8 3/4" axle but did not have the tapered axle arrangement. That changed over in the early 60's. So there are a lot of 8 3/4"carriers out there to get parts off of or are available in Auto parts stores. There are two types of Sure Grip (posi) methods, one is rebuildable and the other is not.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

eroomas

Post by eroomas »

Denver 59 Fin Convert wrote:Mopar Ricky (Rick Clapham) is real good on this stuff. Once we get this info I will make sure Rick has this info to see what parts are still available and what can be swapped out.

He is on the Forum almost daily so he will see it. John Fowlie (Bib M) is pretty well versed too and he has a lot of 59 era cars that have the same 8 3/4" center sections that would work with our tapered axles in his recycling yard in California.

Latter Mopars (all the way into the late 70's) stilled used the 8 3/4" axle but did not have the tapered axle arrangement. That changed over in the early 60's. So there are a lot of 8 3/4"carriers out there to get parts off of or are available in Auto parts stores. There are two types of Sure Grip (posi) methods, one is rebuildable and the other is not.

John Q.
Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been catching up at work. Thanks alot John for all your help I haven't gotten a good look at it yet, I just know I'm gonna try to tackle it this winter (if I can find the time) lol. I'm not sure what I am getting into yet I just know that it leaks and I'm get some pretty good vibration at higher speeds. I thought I would just open it up and see what I see or I might just have my mechanic do it. Either way as soon as I find out what parts I will need I'll get those numbers, in the meantime I'll try to see which differential I have. Thanks again Thanks again
Last edited by eroomas on Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eroomas

Post by eroomas »

eroomas wrote:
Denver 59 Fin Convert wrote:Mopar Ricky (Rick Clapham) is real good on this stuff. Once we get this info I will make sure Rick has this info to see what parts are still available and what can be swapped out.

John Q.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

This is going to be interesting to follow.

I have a spare axle that I'd like to fix, put new seals in and stuff like that.
Hasn't been under a car for a while.
Would like to get parts for it but for me it was the same thing, where?
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

OK you have my attention; What parts do you need? Matthew you are already covered. Rick
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Yep, need to know what you or your Mechanic says might be wrong with the center section. What lead them to say you need a rebuild? Squeeling, grinding sound in the center section? Or is the axle seals neer the brakes leaking? Which is not a problem with the center section Just needs axles tube seals.

Lots of reasons but what made that mechanic say you needed some work in the Rear end differential. With a center section out you can inspect the gears teeth for chips and wear. Also, a good mechanic can adjust the gears while out of the car for a good meshing of the gear set should that be a problem. Mostly it is the Pinion seal that has a slow leak and that can be fixed quickly and for not much money.

Let us know how this turns out comment wise.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)