SWITCH FOR ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP.

And, how not to! Show a fellow member how you did it, here
Dick Koch

SWITCH FOR ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP.

Post by Dick Koch »

The pictures are of the ignition switch wiring on Greenie. There is a dark blue wire that runs from the Ignition switch all the way to the coil resistor, it also goes to the Amp and Oil dash lights.
When I first got the car in 2005 unbeknownst to me the coil resistor was dangling in space and shorted out when I was parking at the first car show I took it to. A billowing cloud of smoke was coming from under the hood and under the dash. Turning the Ignition switch off stopped the short. I looked under the hood and found the dangling coil resistor and secured it. When I got home I replaced the burned wire as far as I could into the harness with a new piece of wire. The car has been running fine ever since.

Fast forward to this morning. I'm installing an electric fuel pump switch in the dash and needed to take the ignition switch out so I could get to the terminal posts, I was pulling on it and saw that the insulation had burned off the blue wire all the way to the Ignition switch. I have been running the car with the wires exposed like that for 9 years. It's hard to grasp that kind of luck. That car was a rolling fire bomb all those years. I'm installing a new wire all the way so hopefully there will be no problems in the future.
Dick.
100_0336.JPG
100_0337.JPG
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: SWITCH FOR ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP.

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Dick, looks like you are drawing to many amps on that circuit. Burned off the insulation a lot! Maybe splice in an in-line Fuse holder or a 20 amp Circuit breaker to protect against the excessive amp draw for that device....

Did you put in the same gauge wire? mIght want to upsize the gauge of wire to handle the ampacity of that circuit. The fuel pump is drawing more amps then the wire can support. This will happen again...

Just a thought... :geek:

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - Thanks for the advice but the wire that burned is from the coil resistor to the accessory post on the ignition switch then to the Generator and Oil pressure Idiot lights. I'm replacing that wire with 14 ga. wire.
The fuel pump wiring is another matter altogether, it's 10 ga. wire from the pump to the pump switch with a 10 amp. inline fuse, then a 10 ga. wire from the pump switch to the accessory post on the ignition switch. Did I get that right???
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Yeah you did! I should have known you are up to snuff on Circuit Protection and all. Just glad she did not burn up on you. :D

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - Got ur done, runs great.
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Excellent! And no Fire Dept. had to respond to put out a Car-B-Que too! Makes for a good day!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)