Correct Mirrors

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Guyman

Correct Mirrors

Post by Guyman »

Wanting to purchase correct mirrors for my 59 plymouth sport fury....notice there is a "2 stut" and a "3 strut" variation(s) ...Need to know which one is correct for my '59.

Thanks., Guy
Dick Koch

Re: Correct Mirrors

Post by Dick Koch »

Guy - Either one is correct as far as I know. The Three strut uses the middle strut for a remote adjustment cable mounted on the dash below the headlight switch for the driver side. The passenger side has three matching struts but is not adjustible from the interior. The correct three strut mirrors have a rounded smooth enterior. There is a mirror that came out in the early sixties with a ridge/indentation that runs around the exterior of the mirror and that is not correct for 1959. The two post mirrors were another option for 1959 and are only manually adjustable, they were available at less cost and were mostly supplied on the Fury, Belvedere and Savoy.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

OK., well that explains the three strut model then. I have been seeing two strut and three strut , my sport fury has the hole in the dash for the remote, so will get the three strut model then....I like the two strut better, but wanna put the remote one back on the car....I have a round remote one on there now...they look OK but not correct.

Thanks., Guy
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

Bought a really really really nice fender mirror off ebay , almost looks NOS...that I think may work for my '59 SF., but not 100% sure. I think the main mirror housing/portion is correct, but has another secondary metal base on it too...it's a remote mirror for the driver's side...

The main mirror assembly has # D60078-401 on the base and has a metal adapter attached also that I am sure I don't need and I could cut off...the adapter has # 2299969 embossed on it.

So not sure what the bottom adapter is for or what this whole assembly is for?...If it's a rare mirror, I won't cut it up and find another for my '59.

Thanks., Guy
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

Here is a picture of the mirror I got off ebay...., any one know if the top mirror part is the correct one?..i can always cut off the bottom adapter.

thanks< Guy
mirror.jpg
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Guyman - If I'm not mistaken that mirror was introduced in 1961. The correct mirror does not have that indentation around the outer edge. All my 59 Plys. and my 60 Desoto have the rounded edge exterior mirror. My Desoto came from the factory with the correct mirrors. That said if you find a decent pair that's correct they will be expensive.
Dick.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Oh, by the way the bases are different also.
Dick.
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

You wouldn't happen to have any nice close up referance pictures you cab send me do you?

I don't have any Plymouth owners around me...I have '56 mirrors on there now and wanna put orig. back on.

You mentioned an indentation....are you referring to the back of the mirror head?

If you have a few ref Picts...post them or email them to me please.

Thanks guy
Guysgt390@yahoo.com
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Guyman - Yes, the indentation is around the edge of the head. I've attached some pictures. These Mirrors are the same on all my cars.
Dick.
100_0043.JPG
100_0044.JPG
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

The mirrors that Dick has are the correct 1959 mirrors.

Mirrors with the groove in the housing can be found on some later 1960 models
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

Thanks for the pictures...I have a set of '56 mirrors on my '59 now...will keep them on there until I can find the right '59 mirrors.

Thanks a bunch...,Guy
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Guy,

Here is the hard to find passenger side deluxe mirror!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MoPar-Side-Mirr ... aa&vxp=mtr
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”