Cherry 59 Belvedere Convertible

Steve Belvedere

Cherry 59 Belvedere Convertible

Post by Steve Belvedere »

Our 59 Belvedere came to us about a year ago. My wife and I had discussed buying a 50's car
when we retire, but that is years from now. Last summer we were driving through the midwest
visiting various relatives. We had been visiting my wife's aunt, about to leave for the next state,
when at we happened to mention wanting a classic car some day. The aunt got all excited and
insisted there was a car we needed to see before we left. It had belonged to another relative by
marriage that had passed away, and now the car was a part of the estate. We said no, thank you, as
we were not ready for one yet, and we were particular because my wife wanted a car with wings (fins)
and I wanted a convertible. The aunt got even more excited, and said we MUST see the car, as it
was a convertible with fins. I must confess, when she told us it was a Belvedere, I really did not
know what a 59 Belvedere looked like. So, we went to see the car and it was love at first sight.
That was about all we talked about for the rest of the trip. A month later, we drover back and
trailered Belvedere home.

At the time we bought it without really knowing what we had. The sellers did not know either,
so we came up with an "as is" price. The engine started, but there was almost no gas in it so we
could not take it for a driver. We looked it over and took a lot of pictures. We had lots of questions
but almost no answers about the car. Now that we have owned it for over a year, I have a better
idea what we have. The car has every option - power top, windows, steering, brakes, adjustable
front seat, dual mirrors, dual antennae, and the Golden Commando engine. It even came with
the original manual. According to it, the only option we are missing is the automatic headlight
dimmer. To top it all off, all the power options work except for the A/C, which still has the
original compressor. We have had to do a lot of cleaning and some basic maintenance on it to get
it in running order, and there is a lot of restoration that should be done to get the car in the
condition it deserves, but it has proven to be a great find and a car my wife and I both love.
Matthew Keij

Re: Cherry 59 Belvedere Convertible

Post by Matthew Keij »

Welcom Steve!

Post a lot of pics!
If you can and me the VIN number and a pic of the data plate for my database I can decode them.
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Welcome Steve! That is a great story to begin with, good to keep the car in the family and in your garage 8)

Show us some pictures and ask all you want to know about the car.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Steve Belvedere

Post by Steve Belvedere »

A few photos from our first look before we bought Belvedere.
59Belvedere1Side1.jpg
59Belvedere5Rear.jpg
59Belvedere6Engine.jpg
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Welcome- and GREAT story! Your excitement was clearly felt thruout your introductory post.

There are several options which your car doesn't display, but going by your list, one has to wonder why a person would buy the
#3 car in Mopar's 1959 line-up (Sport Fury being #1, Fury as #2), and then add so many options. Maybe they particularly liked the simpler Belvedere trim package...no medallions, no gravel guards, no sill stainless, no Sportdeck.....the dealer must have been ecstatic, adding up all the option costs.
I look forward to seeing more of the interior...does it have swivel seats or bench?
I did notice the car's generator has been replaced with an alternator.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Oops, the car DOES have gravel guards.
big m

Post by big m »

Nice Belvedere ragtop!! Factory A/C is a rare option, especially on a convertible.

---John
In rust we trust!
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Great find! Congratulations!

Bob
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

I can spot at least 5 missing options :wink:

Hope there is a data plate!
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Do I see the firewall is white? Revealing the original color?
The drier for the factory A/C...doesn't it sit in a well in the inner fender, and not out in space as this one shows? The stacked horns suggest factory A/C...
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Neat car! Good find of a covertible and in good shape too! I see Kansas plates on it. What state do you live in?

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

rogerh wrote:Do I see the firewall is white? Revealing the original color?
The drier for the factory A/C...doesn't it sit in a well in the inner fender, and not out in space as this one shows? The stacked horns suggest factory A/C...
Roger, I think that small device off the AC compressor is called a "muffler". My dealer add on compressor set up has the same device (not yet istalled on my car yet) that is piped off the compressor.

I will check the manuals for its correct name for it. My 70 Cuda Convertible has this same device too of the compressor but is in a different orientation then this car has,

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Yes, good call...the various "used" driers I could scavenge were much bigger than this "muffler".
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Nice Belvedere Convertible - I'm restoring one right now, they seem to be rarer than the Sport Fury Convertible, how lucky you are. Good luck with it.
Roger - I think the dryer is there and in the right place, notice the piping running behind the horns.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I see that now. The tube on the left heads to the drier in its inner fender "pocket".
When I was putting the factory A/C on my car, I had little to direct me...the A/C came from a 318 parts car in Idaho, and I was trying to install it on a 361. I had some photos supplied by a member in Wisconsin (who has a factory a/c car), but I had neither time nor skills to create a "pocket well" for the (missing) drier. This is only the second factory A/C '59 Plymouth I've ever 'seen'.
Last edited by rogerh on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.