59 Plymouth Convertible courtesy lights

Got a question? This is the place to ask
58 coronet

59 Plymouth Convertible courtesy lights

Post by 58 coronet »

Hi. I am installing the little round courtesy lights for the sport Fury on the rear pockets of a 1959 Plymouth convertible. Since the pockets were from a 1959 Plymouth Belvedere convertible they did not have these lights. I purchased reproduction lights on ebay. My question is:
-Can someone tell me the exact location of the lights ?
-how do they attach to the pockets ?
-what size bulbs and socket were used ?
- also how were they wired ?
Pictures would be a big help. Thanks John
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: 59 Plymouth Convertible courtesy lights

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

I did the same thing to my Belvedere convert when I upgraded to the Sport Fury interior I added those same lights. I had purchased my lights from a guy who had parted out a SF convert. It sounds like you do not have the base flanged assembly if you are asking about the wires and bulbs to it. Also, I did not use the thin single chrome strip on the interior panel as the SF did not use them only the Belvedere did, of course your choice on that one.

I know that you can buy just the replacement lenses on e bay but thought that it was just the lenses only. On location on the interior quarter window pocket panel, I took location measurements from a SF Convert a few years ago at the Carlisle show to locate mine. I can take measurement from what I did for you and also pop off the lenses to show the base structure of the flanged socket assembly, I know this base socket assembly has two holes in the flange that you put two small metal screws thru it to hold the base assembly to the metal pocket panel.

Also, these courtesy lights get tied into the under dash map light, so when you open the door all three lights come on.

I am having a knee replacement this AM so I won't be able to take some pictures or measurement till next week or so. Maybe a SF convert owner like Mark Evans, can provide these pictures and measurements for you while I am out recuperating from this surgery. If not, when I am able I can do this for you.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
58 coronet

Post by 58 coronet »

Thanks for the reply John Q . It sounds like I am missing the base structure that holds the bulb socket. The lens assembly must snap onto this. If I know what it is like maybe I can make it.
I will wait for the pictures.
Good luck with the surgery. If Mark or anyone else has access to this information I would like to hear from them to. Thanks John
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - Go to the search box at the top of this page and type in "courtesy lights" after the page come up go to the bottom of the page and click on the second to last link and you will find a picture of John Q's panels with the courtesy lights installed. Doing a search on almost any question you have will most of the time give you the answer.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
58 coronet

Post by 58 coronet »

Dick- I did find the pictures of John Q's panels with the courtesy lights installed. I was hopping to get a little more detail. I need some measurements to get them in the right spot. I have the reproduction lenses and bezels and I presume they are very close to the originals. Looking at them I would say that they must snap onto the backing with the socket. I need to know what bulb they use to get a socket that will work. If anyone has the backing part with socket that they could post some detailed pictures of it would be a big help. Finding these parts will be next to impossible but I feel I can make them up if I have something to go by. John
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - I was very lucky to find a pair of complete courtesy lights for my convertible restoration, thier bulb sockets are very unique so the lens and bezel can just snap on and will be very hard to duplicate. As soon as I get home (10 days) I will send you pictures of what they look like. I have seen one on ebay not too long ago and suggest you do an extensive search or wait until some come up on ebay. I do a daily (automatic) search everyday on ebay. I look at 57, 58, 59 Plymouth, 59, 60 Desoto, Dodge and Chrysler. Many of their parts are interchangeable.
Dick.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

For what it's worth, the courtesy lights were used in years after 1959, in Chrysler-badged cars such as the 63 NY 2-dr coupe.
In those years, they were located on either side of the center console. Very scarce items! You probably have the repro lenses and bezels only, and still need the bases. I hope you can find the bases ...try Murray Park, in Ohio, maybe Benny Buckner, maybe Wildcat in Oregon, ebaymotors, WPC Club, allpar, Len Dawson...and so on and so forth....Imperials did NOT use these.
Last edited by rogerh on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Good point Roger! They were indeed used in succeeding years on Chryslers. I will keep an eye out for them. I am back from the hospital and getting my total knee replacement done. (ouch!) but doing well. On a walker for a couple of weeks. I can get to my car and give you my dimensions for locations. I used a Greenlee hole saw to drill out the main hole in the curvy part of the interior pocket panel. Then when you do get the base sockets you can mark the two small screw holes that retain the base socket to the panel as a template.

Guys like Mark Evans and Earl Hess who have original SF's can give more precise locations. I measured Earl's Convert a couple years ago and confirmed it with a 58 De Soto convert here in town for my locations. Looks about right when you see how mine look. (at least I think they do!)

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - Glad to hear you had a successful surgery and wish you a speedy recovery.
Dick
58 coronet

Post by 58 coronet »

Hi John Q
I am glad to hear that the surgery went well. When you can, send me the location and some more detailed pictures of the sockets. I can wait for you to heal so do take the time. It was good to hear that they were used on other cars. Maybe some will show up. As a last resort I feel that I could make something up if I had something to go by. Thanks for now. Jolhn
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

John,

I do have the Orig set up. I can send you some Photos if you wish by the week end ,my car is at the Uph. shop having the Top installed and fitting the interior

I have one for you,
What is the Back of the rear seat back covered with over the Gap that shows the back springs when you look in from the rear window with the top up.
What Mat'l and color.

My car is all most complete and will be closing things up.Let me know if you need any other info soon and I will try to help.

You can buy the Courtesy Lite wiring harness from the source in Canada.I forgot his name, It plugs into the tail light plug under the dash and runs along the drivers floor to the right lite and then under the rear seat to the other side.
It is connected to the switch under the dash controlled by that switch. My switch was bad. Just buy a 2 way switch from Radio shack and you can make the bracket until you find one. The back lights also come on when you open the doors.
My lens were melted a bit due to the wrong bulb , I found some 4 Candle Power bulbs vs the 8 that I replaced, Hope that works.
Gary G also has the lens covers
Mark
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

THERE'S Mark Evans! Glad to hear from you again!
Don't forget to have a top well made. The vinyl well keeps the folded top contained, and keeps the back-seat springs out of sight. The original one had a drain fixed at the bottom w/ little tube that ran thru the floor of the car, so any moisture would have a way to drain out.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Mark - Glad to hear from you again. Rogers right the top well will cover some of the seat springs but not all. The rear of the rear seat is covered with vinyl upholstery material as far down as necessary to cover the springs so you don't see the springs from the rear of the car with the deck lid open.
Dick.
58 coronet

Post by 58 coronet »

Hi Mark
My seats have nothing on them right now. (bare springs) The pictures I took prior to taking them apart show Vinyl going down the back side a short distance to cover the gap. The seats had
been redone in the past. I am guessing that what was there was similar to the original.
When I got the car there was no well so I will need pictures or any information you can give as to how it is made and fastened in. And yes do send pictures of the rear pocket courtesy light bases when you can. Thanks John
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

John,

Thanks ,I am going with the matching vinyl for the Gap
I will send and post some Photos by next week. When I get my car back
Gary Goers made my Conv Top Well pocket. It looks and fits great.
Mark