New member needs Belvedere steering wheel!

big m

Re: New member needs Belvedere steering wheel!

Post by big m »

Strange that Koch's isn't doing the deluxe wheels any longer, I had one done for me and one for a customer at the same time, and they did a nice job. Wonder if they had a problem with the mold?

---John
In rust we trust!
hawkeye999

Post by hawkeye999 »

Hi John,

Koch's reply just said, "Sorry we are no longer recasting this steering wheel." I have three options so far:

1. I did find a brown horn ring cushion #1856322 for $295, which is encouraging since the rest of the non-metal parts of the wheel look like I could clean them up and SEM paint them along with the new cushion. I would still have to figure out what to do with the chromed metal on the outside wheel though, which Rogerh said was originally covered in clear sparkly resin grips. Dick Koch used rubber hose and some kind of wrap to cover part of the wheel for his Fury. He did a really good job with his, and although I don't prefer that route I suppose I could try to find some clear plastic hose or something and give it a go.

2. I found a brown steering wheel #1943622 but I think it is the standard model and might not include the horn ring and they want $760 for it. Seems like a lot of dough for something I don't really want, but may have to do it.

3. I found a parts car that is supposed to have a really nice interior. Since I need to completely restore the interior in my car i might buy that one also and transfer things over (what are the odds the trim codes will match up???), and that might be the way to go especially if the steering wheel is a deluxe model in good shape. The cost of the parts car might not make much sense at the end of the day, however.

Thanks again for your help.

Jim
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

You need to keep looking. The prices you quoted are outrageous.
The standard steering wheel has no vinyl, no padding, no clear sections (sorry for my earlier flub, the Deluxe grips are solid color while the clear sparkly sections are smooth), and no full-circle-appearing horn blowing ring. There should be plenty of the standard steering wheels out there. Have you contacted John Fowlie (dba Big M Auto Salvage in Williams, CA)?
Your idea of using clear hose isn't so bad! You'd want to glue the split hose (clear silicone or similar) to the rims rather than covering it up with wheel wrap as Dick did.
I will post your news that Koch's no longer casts the 59 Ply Deluxe wheel over on http://www.forwardlook.net, maybe someone there will know of another vendor.
You can also place a Wanted ad on that site, but talk to John Fowlie first. :)
RogerH
Last edited by rogerh on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hawkeye999

Post by hawkeye999 »

Thanks much, Roger. And yes I tried Big M, but no luck even after he scampreed up a lt to look around his loft. Maybe it's a good idea for somebody else to confirm with Koch's before you post anything about it, although I sent them pics of the steering wheel and everything.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I just now put the post on Fowardlook...I said the information was second-hand, left it open to rebuttal.
What's the asking price on the parts car you located?
hawkeye999

Post by hawkeye999 »

1900 asking price which is a lot but if the interior is as "awesome" as advertised and I can use 100 % of it maybe it's worth it
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

$1900 is still reasonable for a parts car. I know you are primarily interested in the interior panels and steering wheel. Hopefully you are fortunate enough to have the space to store a donor car, and if there are any other salvageable parts, don't forget to list them here!
The used-parts market is fickle...sometimes you can sell the excess parts quickly, sometimes you have to wait.
Looks like you'll be jumping into this project with both feet!
hawkeye999

Post by hawkeye999 »

Thanks for your advice and encouragement, once again, Roger. There is no drive line on the parts car and the back end is toast, but I am anxious to see what the trim code is, and will probably buy it if it is anything close, use what I can and part out the rest to my fellow 59 Plymouth brethren.

Jim
big m

Post by big m »

Hi Jim,
I didn't have a decent deluxe wheel, but I do have decent standard wheels if you decide to go that route. They are not too expensive.

---John
In rust we trust!
hawkeye999

Post by hawkeye999 »

Sorry, John, I didn't realize. You have some for sale? If so, could you email me photos and price(s) please ? jhawkeye999@gmail.com.

Thanks much

Jim
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Jim - Before you buy that parts car (Don't forget the cost of freight) you may want to contact SMS in Canby, Oregon. The are doing the door panels (six for a convertible) and supplying the material for the front and back seats for $1,700.00. You can go on thier web site and take a look at the sample panels. All you have to do is send them the stainless trim. They will send you samples of the correct materials, just send them the trim No. of your car. www.smsautofabrics.com.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
hawkeye999

Post by hawkeye999 »

Thanks, Dick. I have indeed been looking at SMS as one of the options and was leaning heavily that way until the steering wheel thing came up. I am supposed to get some photos of the parts car interior early this week and will figure out which way to go then. SMS and originalauto.com are basically the only two games in town for NOS fabric and vinyl, right? By the way, is there such a thing as NOS carpet?

Jim
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Again, I recommend you do your research before sending money to anyone.
SMS is the ONLY known supplier of new upholstery fabric for the Forwardlook cars. They own (or have access) to a computerized loom which weaves these fabrics to their specific order.
They also make re-manufactured door panels, and their work is top-notch. But they are not without their failings. Customers report a wait-time of up to two years, depending on factors which are impossible to categorize. Product may arrive in the wrong color. One common thread seems to be that belligerent customers get pushed to the back of the line. If you order from SMS, be sure to use a credit card, so you have some leverage should problems arise.
There might be something called NOS carpet... are you sure you want to buy 50-year old pre-cut carpet?
Original Auto Interiors sells pre-sewn seat covers, and in my opinion has the best vinyl.
If you know of an auto upholstery shop near you, you should inquire there if they could handle your car's needs. You'd supply them with materials. A local shop could install OAI seat covers. You need to be careful though, that the bulk vinyl and fabric you buy matches any pre-made covers you buy. This fact is why buying the whole package from SMS makes sense.
Dick, $1700 for all six panels AND all the fabric and vinyl you need for a local shop to upholster the seats? Seems like a good price to me. What are your plans for the top boot and well?
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Roger - I'm getting the two front panels, two armrest recovered, two rear panels, and two rear cylinder cover/armrests. The stainless trim that was on the panels I got with the car was from a 1958 Convertible. Thanks to John Quinn he sent me the correct stainless. I polished that up and sent them, the old armrest and the cyl. cover/armrest panels to SMS. They also sent me the correct cloth and silver vinly for the seats that I will have done locally, The same upholsterer that has done work on Charleen and my Green SF. Which by the way I took out of the garage, washed and polished it. It has been almost a year since I had Greenie out last. Started right up and runs like a scalded dog. Has the 361 CI engine, still lights up and tires chirp when going into second gear.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
hawkeye999

Post by hawkeye999 »

Thanks, Roger. I'm gathering a lot of good information from this forum and will be able to pull the trigger on the interior resto soon.