361 Golden Commando question

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

361 Golden Commando question

Post by Faulkner »

This question from Ed Eckerson:
Hello Group

I am in the middle of a 361 COMMANDO restoration project.
I am certain on most of the engine colors except the wire looms that bolt on to the valve covers.

Does anyone have what they feel are origional color looms??
PLEASE ADVISE.

As I investigate--the list gets longer and not shorter as I guess they are easily removed and have been painted by various owners throughout the years!

So far the candidates are..............
GOLD
RED
BLACK
SILVER

Amanda,,could you advise what you believe your loom color is?

Thanks to all

ED ECKERSON
59 COMMANDO PROJECT
57 FURY
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

What are "looms" exactly??
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Matthew,

I believe they are the pieces that the wires snap into between the distributor and the spark plug, separating them and keeping them from touching the block.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Oh yeah, now I know what it is. I always thought they need to be gold in a GC. I'm not sure about that.

I know there is an engine pictured in a brochure. I just looked and it a 318. They always picture what you don't need!
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Goauld

wire looms on 361

Post by Goauld »

Hi. I have a 1959 361 GC that is still all original colors from 1959, my wire loom are still gold but need to be painted really bad. I originally thought they were black but after cleaning them up the gold came through. My dad who gave me the car also said he never painted the engine and he remembers them gold also.
I hope this helps.
Craig (goauld)
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

what worries me about Ed Eckerson's efforts is he may be (purposely or not) creating a new standard of perfection, along the lines of Corvette owners or 57 Chevy owners..that is, "my car is correct and therefore yours isn't"...I hope Ed will always remember that in 1959, there were several variations of our cars. I know wiring harnesses varied slightly. There are other variations depending on which assembly plant produced it, what parts were in the bins at the time, then there were mid-year changes...am I out of line here?