(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Re: SF Systems Checkout Test Ride a Success

Post by rogerh »

Hey Dick,
Thanks for your post.
I know I've seen folks go as far as powder-coating the rims silver argent, but of course that has to occur BEFORE the tires get mounted!
One more thing to keep Mark busy thru the winter.
Last edited by rogerh on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Dick Koch wrote:Mark - The rims are the same color as the Valance and Splashpan. SILVER ARGENT.
Dick.

I agree with Federal Reserve Chairmen Koch on the color should be a gray/argent color. So whatever color you did to the upper and lower valance/gravel pan is good. Only a little bit of the color shows anyhow.... I still have to paint mine this fall.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

Sorry about the bad info on wiper blade length - it's been decades since I bought any for a '59.

Wheel color depends upon whether full wheel covers or just hubcaps came on the car. With full wheel covers, standard on Sport Fury, wheels were painted Argent on the outside, and Black on the inside. That can be seen on the "Two Mile Tryout" video that many folks have, when they discussed Safety Rim wheels (first used in 1941.) With smaller hubcaps, some body colors had matching wheel colors, but not all. Certain colors, like black, also got Argent wheels. Probably all were black or gray on inside, but if anyone has a body-colored original 59 wheel that isn't rusted beyond recognition, please let us know. I'm going by what I've read and seen in old photos, movies, etc. to identify. So the factory choice was Argent or body color, if you want to be original. I agree that black looks better as an open-face wheel, especially with a wide whitewall tire, a very common look in the 50's and 60's. That's how mine was when I got it - black wheels, and the wheelcovers were in the trunk.