318 engine colours

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Guy

318 engine colours

Post by Guy »

It''s been a while and after nearly two years off the road the Plymouth is hopefully getting sorted. This question has been asked over several forums, I've researched as much data as possible but still confused.

It's the 318 with a 2 barrel stromberg - not sure it's the original engine because the block is a light blue / turquoise ?

I understand the engine colour for the 59 should be silver and ancillaries are black. At the moment the valve covers, air filter cover, sump pan, front engine mounts, bonnet(hood) springs and lower pulley are all painted the red / orange ( Harvester Red / Chrysler Industrial ???).

Is that over kill on the red paint ?

Everything is going to the paint shop in the next couple of days so was hoping some direction / guidance, Hope I don't regret asking .

Thanks in advance
Guy
Dick Koch

Re: 318 engine colours

Post by Dick Koch »

Hello Guy - Thought you fell in a hole somewhere. Go to Showcase, click on Belvedere, on page one click on Tom Fox, Click on the picture of the engine to enlarge it and there's your answer.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thanks for the reply Dick. Yes fell in a hole - just couldn't find a ladder long enough to get out!
I understand that engine aluminium looks best - any thoughts for the rockers covers ?
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hey Dick and all,
My apologies for speaking up here. I am out of the loop for sure, and I do not dispute Tom and his 318 engine colors.
My question is: when were 59 P valve covers done in red? I seem to remember at least one of my 59s having red valve covers to match red hood springs and air cleaner, maybe even the block itself. I've packed away or sold all my color sales brochures, so I thought I'd throw out the question here..
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Just ask me :mrgreen:

According to the original brochure

Long time ago guy!
How's the Fury? Can you email me the vin for my 59 Plymouth register?
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I went to the Showcase @ 59Sportfury.net and looked at Tom Fox's Belvedere. I saw a silver engine block and grey? valve covers. This differs from Mathhew's factory sales brochure. :?:
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Matthew - Not to throw a cog in the wheel but where do you get RED V-belts???????????????? heh, heh.
Dick.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

That was an "engine dress up" option :lol:

Very hard to find now
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Funny!
But back to Guy...does he know which colors to use?
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thanks to all for the feedback. To be honest I thought I was confused before but now I'm not sure. Silver engine, black accessories, red air pan and hood springs seem to be right. It's the rocker covers I'm unsure about. I've seen some info on the WPC website that referred to silver covers for the 59 but the red variant seems the most popular. Matthew, I have the brochure you sent a copy of and the red theme is dominant. Do you think that it was a bit of artistic license for the "all new 1959". Maybe that's where the idea came from to paint the covers red. Looking through the judging notes for the POC it appears there's a great amount of detail for most years other than the 59 - Am I right in thinking there isn't a definitive answer , did it vary from plant to plant ? I'm tempted to go with the red for the valve covers, I quite like the look - should we take a vote ?? I hate making decisions. Does anyone have a Plymouth document that sheds any light ?

Anyway I've more questions relating to cooling/heating and electrical , shall I continue this thread. I know I've got you interested.

Cheers
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I like the red too. As for your other questions, use a different thread with Subject defining the problem, so in the future we can do a search if we have that problem and get some answers.
Dick.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

I know they were grey/silver in 58 and if I have to believe the pics they were red in 59.

If we only had an all original 59 somewhere
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Ref the valve covers.....I read somewhere the red valve covers in brochures are red just for pictoral (don't know if that's right word) effect and correct color is silver. imo the only red under the hood is the air cleaner cover and the hinges.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Interesting! Tom Fox says he did much research on his Belvedere convertible and came to the same conclusion.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Well it's not too late so I've changed my mind (am I allowed to ?) I'll paint the valve covers SILVER, I could do with a change anyway. Not gonna think about it any more, that is unless someone comes up with some Plymouth production information that proves the point either way. Thanks to all for the feedback.