1959 Plymouth Suburban For Sale

Hey, I've got this part. Interested in buying it?
Kungfupanda

1959 Plymouth Suburban For Sale

Post by Kungfupanda »

Hello folks. I have a Custom Suburban I am thinking of selling, but I wanted to offer it here first, since I know it wouldn't be chopped up. It has way too much potential for that. It runs good, trans rebuilt, starter, solenoid, battery, tires, etc. I can give more details if requested. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks. So here are the pics.
PC140497.JPG
PC140501.JPG
PC140496.JPG
PC140500.JPG
PC140503.JPG
rogerh

Re: 1959 Plymouth Suburban For Sale

Post by rogerh »

Looks to be a completely un-touched original.
Evidently been thru a few battles...
What in NC causes rust? Pine needles? Do they salt the roads there? Or are you near the ocean? Or did it spend time in another area of the country.........
As you may be looking to sell it on another list, you may want to consider including views of such things as the dashboard (so folks can see various options like does it have manual or auto transmission, torqueflite or powerflite, radio, clock etc,) then try to detail where the rust issues are...also whether it has the third seat in back...it helps the potential buyer make an over-all assessment.
Trying to be helpful..... :)
Kungfupanda

Post by Kungfupanda »

Thanks. I tried to post last night with a lot more pics, but apparently it didn't take. Yep it's auto, radio delete, dealer add on a/c, 9 passenger with original paint. It was originally in Tennessee then up north for a couple years, so I understand. So her are a few more of the good, the bad, and the ugly. attachment=0]PC140499.JPG[/attachment]
PC140498.JPG
PC140502.JPG
PC140507.JPG
PC140499.JPG
PC140504.JPG
Kungfupanda

Post by Kungfupanda »

I'm going to post it on e-bay in the next week or so, with better pics and perhaps video link of it running/driving. Where should I set the reserve? I likely have more in it than I will get back. What I bought it for, plus the $1000.00 or so I recently put in it exceeds 5k. If it doesn't sell for what I need, that's ok too, since I really want to keep it as a daily driver & slowly restore. The half-hearted attempt to sale it may satisfy my wife's desire to scale down my fleet, :lol:
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I can't advise on price, because I know too little about overall condition
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Can you pm me the VIN number?
Also, do you have a pic of the data plate that's behind the passenger side hood hinge? If it has one
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Kungfupanda

Post by Kungfupanda »

Ok lets see. Previous owner had trans rebuilt, front end rebuilt, all brakes & wheel cylinders. I have replaced starter, starter solenoid, voltage regulator, fuel filter, belts, air filter and 4 tires. The interior needs to be replaced, though one trim shop said they could use a lot of the vinyl on the seats & clean up, dye & repair the dor panels. All interior chrome knobs and bezels are there (I have the trans push button bezel missing in pic). I removed A/C unit for access under dash, but it works great. Though I am sure compressor needs rebuild and update to R-134. The engine smoked some after setting two years with no start. After driving last few weaks it no longer smokes like before. I would eventually rebuild carb, but it works fine now. Having owned 318 Mopars, I know you can't kill them. The body needs work, none of which requires new panels. Dents can come out. Rust out in tailgate at bottom & 1 inch hole in rt mid floor. Other than that, floors appear to be solid. Most rust is surface only. All glass is in amazing shape. Any more info needed don't hesitate to ask. Thanks
Kungfupanda

Post by Kungfupanda »

This is a video I took this evening of the engine running. Sorry for the quality. I'll post better pics & videos this weekend. Thanks.
PC210524.AVI
(27.73 MiB) Downloaded 2969 times
Kungfupanda

Post by Kungfupanda »

I need to correct something about my earlier post, with a big thanks to Matthew Keij for researching for causing me to look closer. I worked the tailgate window, but never went in the rear cargo area, which was loaded with the old bias ply tires from previous tire replacement. It is a 6 passenger with locking compartment, NOT a 9 passenger. I was thrown by the spare tire cover on the outside as well. I actually like the 6 passenger better, since I can now put the spare, which was changed to 15" wheels back in the 60's, in the storage compartment so it won't stick out at the bottom. Okay here are some pictures in the daytime. As you will see it needs a complete resto, but it's a running, driving, smoking (lol), classic with lots of potential.
PC230526.JPG
PC230530.JPG
PC230538.JPG
PC230539.JPG
PC230546.JPG
PC230542.JPG
PC230543.JPG
PC230544.JPG
PC230550.AVI
318 2-barrel engine running
(15.08 MiB) Downloaded 2942 times
PC230551.AVI
Driving around.
(10.41 MiB) Downloaded 2912 times
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Just listen to that valve clatter! The 318 is bullet-proof!
The valves and valve guides seem to be the weakest link of the 318.
It is fun to see the ol' girl in motion. Thanks for the movies! :)
Kungfupanda

Post by Kungfupanda »

:lol: I know, right? I work in service at a new car dealer. Of course some of the guys rag on me about the wagon. Most of them like rice burners or chevys. One day I asked them how many 53 year old Nissans are still running, or how many of the new cars on the lot will still be driving 53 years from now. Awkward silence followed. :oops:
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Excellent reply! (sorry, I can't remember the modern expression)
My parents had a 1970 Plymouth Custom wagon, which we drove from NY to CA when we helped them move west. The wagon had minimal rust. The 318's valves got sticky and rattled ...Dad gave the car to me, and I promptly sold it for some ridiculous price of $800 or something. It ran fine once it warmed up. All it needed was a valve job. I wish I had that car today.
Kungfupanda

Post by Kungfupanda »

Yeah, I feel ya on that. I have had several I wish I'd kept, like my '59 Sport Fury with 361 & factory air. I hope I don't feel that way about this one. Probably will. My dad was 84 when he passed and had 75 + personal cars in his lifetime, and that's only the ones he remembered. I guess you can't keep them all. Plus I have to build a garage for my '56 Dodge Royal Lancer that is in great condition, so it can stay that way. Btw, to be fair to the old girl, the '59 engine sounds much better in person than on my cheapy camera/video recorder. Even my wife, who was filming, said it didn't sound like that in person. Well it's on Ebay now, so wish me luck. Merry Christmas
Kungfupanda

Post by Kungfupanda »

Well, it sold. Not quite as much as I had hoped, but I was looking for a quick sale, otherwise I would have kept it. Now I am going to make plans for laying bamboo flooring & concentrate on my '56 Lancer. I'll be looking for a Sport Fury next year, so I'll be around. Thanks for all your help.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I've never seen bamboo flooring in a FL car, but I am not against it. :)
Okay, I might just have been influenced by a Marx Bros. marathon I'm watching on TV..
Best of luck in all your ventures! I too would love to own another 59 P. Best wishes to everyone!