Ignition key core replacement

And, how not to! Show a fellow member how you did it, here
duggar

Ignition key core replacement

Post by duggar »

How do you remove the old ignition key core and replace it with a new one. I looks like it should be fairly simple.
rogerh

Re: Ignition key core replacement

Post by rogerh »

It's been awhile since I dealt with this. Is there a Phillips head screw in the back of the cylinder? Something has to hold the cylinder in place when the key is inserted and turned.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

If you have a few days Matthew can explain it, just recently he replaced the ingnition and the door locks on the cvt. He is in bed now, last week I had the flue and today it's his turn. I remember there was a little pin you had to push in to remove it but it only works if the key is in the switch.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

If you don't have the key to the cylinder you want to replace, you probably have to go to a locksmith for help.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Roger is right, If you have the key in the ignition core, you can rotate the key to the right (Clock Wise) to the first detent postion and then push the little button underneath the ignition switch and it (ignition core) slides right out.

But if you don't have the key then disconnect the swich assembly and take it to the locksmith to have him finangle it out.

Just did it to my Convert to have the doors and the ignition the same key codes. A locksmith could make you a key for the existing core and then you can do the procedure mentioned in th first Sentence of my ramblings! :P

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
duggar

Post by duggar »

I purchased a new ignition core and keys. The one that I have now is ok I just wanted to upgrade to new. I looked in my manual and it souonds fairly simple, however everthing I do with my Plymouth that sounds simple always turns in a nighmare with dollar bills attached. I need all the helpful tips I can get. Thanks