Window installation procedure..

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Window installation procedure..

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Ok, I am at the point where I put the glass back in the doors on the convert and would like to know the easiest way that the Forum members has used to re-assembly the glass in the doors.

Do I put the vent window assembly in first? Or do I put the main door glass in and then the vent window assembly?

And on the door window main glass is it easier to put the sizzor window arms attached to the bottom of the glass and drop it in or don't do that but keep the widow assembly sizzors in the car, raise that assemby from within and attach?

I have read the plymouth Service manual and on it and can follow that procedure but in the 57/58 FSM they don't mention the removal of the vent window assembly at all, but the picture shows it off... :?

Just want to find out from prior real world installation by you guys!

Thanks in advance!
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Window installation procedure..

I guess no one can remember how they put in their window or it has been so long since they did it ... :o Sooooo.... I went ahead a figured it out, or at least for me that is. It is exactly how the FSM showed it to be. Though they left out taking the vent window assembly out. The FSM did have a picture of it out of the way but did not mention to do so and that is very important aspect in taking the glass in or out from the door.

After removing the Vent window assembly,this gave ton's of room to have the sizzor arms to be attached and the base of the glass assembly and for this assembly to be moved around left to right. Actually it went very easily. The window regulator has to be in the all the way up position for these two mounting arms to be captured by the glass assembly.

Then there was numerous adjustments in and out to positon the glass in the door and put in the up stop and adjust the down stop and Voila!...It works!

Don't forget to lube the internal horizontal welded on channel that the sizzor arms move in. Easier to do this now then later wen the glass in the door..

Hope this helps others who might attempt this in the future.

Now onto the other side! :P

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

Thanks John-Was pretty sure this should be done without vent window in place as this has always been the case on other cars i've done, but didn't want to lead you astray.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Congratulations John, on figuring out yet another procedure for the benefit of the List!
Yes, it's true, I have forgotten how to re-assemble a Plymouth window :(
I upgraded to power windows at the time, so I'm sure there are even more steps I've forgotten.
It took me ten years of on-and-off weekends to restore my car, and I think as it neared completion, as it happens to so many, I backed off from "perfection" and accepted "good enough". Matthew can attest to the fact that the windows do not line up well either with each other or with the top. Me not taking the time to get this "right"' resulted in a overly drafty and leaky car.
remember how Stefan rebuilt his engine, and documented the processs on the lIst, with photos? It would be great if more of repair work would be posted on this List- (sigh) :)
big m

Post by big m »

I know when taking them apart, it's easiest to remove the vent window assy. first. Seems to me this was also the easiest way to reassemble as well, reversing the procedure.

---John
In rust we trust!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

It had been so long since I had dis-assembled them I just could not remember what I had done eitheron the dis-assebly part. But after re-installing the vent window assembly in the door and then I put the door glass up to the sissor arms and said "this won't work at all!!! ":lol: So out came the vent window!

The vent window assembly in and out is easy once you know all the points it is attached to. Then It was easy. I appreciate everyones comments about it. It is not something you do a lot of and figured someone would know.

Now "Eye Bee and axe-pert on it!" Or at least till I forget again! :P I had better do the passenger side this weeked ASAP or I will be reviewing this thread again!

John Q
"Forgetful in Colorado" :?
100_4140.JPG
Drivers window glass in! YaHoo! I know, I know! The glass is smudgy & dirty! Sheesh!
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I WILL suggest this:
get the top assembly up and completed with canvas, etc, before installing your inner door panels. Between window and top there are a million adjustments possible.
John, the gap between windshield stainless and vent frame looks to be very "even"...a good sign.
But at this stage you cannot accurately tell if your door glass is tipping out of level (I am assuming your garage floor is not perfectly level). And you don't have your quarter glass in yet.
Quarter glass is a whole 'nother story. It's gotta rise up high enough to clear the quarter panel just at the right time, while not dragging too hard on the top's channels. Then it has to travel just far enought forward to engage its' weatherstrip to the door glass...You are gonna have FUN with all this :D :D !
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Roger, Good suggestion on not putting on the door panels, Which I am temporarly using a used set of a 59 Chrysler 2 door panels, (with some color sprayed on them to somewhat match...)

I did not take our the quarter window glass in the car but I might have to to put in the cat whiskers and just the glass and the frame up a bit.

The car is still up on 4 jack stands in the garage and is not level (a little nose high) but I spent a lot of time on the vent window assembly orientation trying to get it close to the correct gapping I see on everyones cars.

I am in a holding pattern on the convert frame re-assembly due to having my top pieces needed as a pattern for the Keij's Convert frame re-fabing. I was going to hold off on it for a while anyhow till all other bugs are worked out on the car. I still have the fenders off but the inner fenders and radiatior support is installed and working to center that as much as possible before the fenders.

The Hood will have it's sound deading pad glued on this weekend and if my 21 year son is around. We can install it on the hood hinges, Rather do this now when the fenders are not on the car. Then a lot of adjustments will be coming I am sure to balance the front clip to the rest of the car and hood.

I am learning so much on this car, my next one will be a lot easier..... or at least not as confusing to do!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hey John, I feel the excitement level building! All the better to have a family member working with you! I had no prior experience setting hoods, doors or front fenders.
I operated with some basic suggestions regarding proper gaps and all that stuff.
In retrospect, with my limited experience, I should have somehow got a professional restorer involved. "on my next car...."
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

John, trying to do these things by yourself can be disasterous! Believe me... I know. If your helper is busy, I Will Volunteer Abagayle. Just kidding, Call me, we can drive a few, and help out.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Thanks Rick, I did not want to bother you by my constant need for assistance. And you volunteering your 3 year Grand Daughter to help me is touching...It's bad when she knows more then I do is embarrassing! :oops: But she sure is cute!!

I was able to stand in the car and lower it down into place so the shoulder was not a problem. Thank goodness for Convertibles!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)