Removing instrument cluster

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Matthew Keij

Removing instrument cluster

Post by Matthew Keij »

I want to start on this but don't have a clue how to do it.

I know there are 2 screws on top but that is about it.
What do i need to do?
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Removing instrument cluster

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Having just put mine back in I can tell you that there is two threaded post on the bottom of the inside area of the space where the Instrument panel goes. that is the two points of the 4 that secure the panel. You can see the two scres on the top

But first make sure the battery is disconnected before messing around back there! And lower the steering colume for needed clearance.

There are also two nuts that goes on those two studs that snug up ans support the bottom of the Instrument panel. The bottom of the instrument panel has two u shapped tangs that rest on the two welded stud You have to reach around and back off those two nuts on the lower mounting area, You don't have to take them off all the wa, just back them off an inch or so.

While you are there, unscrew the speedometer cable too!

When you do all the above, you can tilt back the instrument panel to the front of the car and lift off the panel of fthe two bottom locating studs then twisting the panel a bit you can pull it out sideways on a sight tipping to the right or left as you do it. All the wires are connected so you don't have much wiggle room. Get some tape and mark where the wires go for reassembly ease. Or refer to the wiring diagram for the correct clor of wire and locations.

I will take some pictures tonight for you of some of the assemblies. Do you have the old instrument dash assembly off you old Fury? That would help you see how it all goes together. :ugeek:

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - You be da man.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

instrumant panel.PDF
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Roger should be a graphic artist!!! Exactly!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Here is a picture of the lower U shapped ear that Roger drew and showed in the pdf of the manual. (I failed in art class!)

John Q.
100_4131.JPG
Sorry the picture is a little blurry on this close-up of the Instrument panel lower mounting ear. The stud it rests on is right underneath it but can't be see at this angle.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I'll go to graphic arts school if Yugo to camera school :twisted:
Daniel Harris

Post by Daniel Harris »

Matthew,
Take extra care when removing the two nuts from behind the dash, when I did mine they were frozen tight with rust and started to twist the metal attaching points of the dash (very thin) :evil: I ended up spraying them with anti seize and let them be for a day then they came off a little easier but I still had to reshape the tabs....Hope all goes well for you
Dan

Yesterday once more
Denver 59 Fin Convert

For some reason the camera and I can't seem to get into Foucs these days! :lol:

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

I am going for this next weekend.
Want to install the autronic eye and check the speedometer as it's pretty positive. Says 70mph when you are doing around 50-55
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Matthew,
The reason the speedometer reads HIGH is because it is a 1961 Chrysler transmission, connected to a 1959 Plymouth Speedometer.

Talk to Tom Fox. He found a source for the plastic gear used (in the transmission, I think) which will calibrate the speedometer.

As for the Autronic Eye, you ought to make sure it works first. That is, unless you are installing it just for looks. IIRC, that Eye came from a 1959 Imperial...hopefully the "brain" still works, and is the same for Plymouths and Imperials alike. Looking at the Parts numbers printed in the 59 Mopar parts Book, those numbers are new for '59.
I think I pulled that device out of a '59 Imperial, but I have no way of knowing if Imperial and Plymouth shared these devices.
Are there any parts numbers on them, Matthew?
tomf

Post by tomf »

The in line adaptor is the best way to correct a speedometer. They are available from most speedo shops. If you give them the speed difference numbers, like what what your speedo actually reads when you are driving 60mph (a mile a minute) They will load the proper gears in a little housing than goes in line right at the transmission between the drive gear and the cable. Very easy install and cost me about $60 ten years ago. If you don't find a local supplier let me know and I will check today's price here in Portland.
Tom
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Neat and informative info Tom.

If the tranny came out of a 61 Chrysler that was running 15 inch tires likely, Are you running 14 inch or 15 inch Wheels/tires on the convert? If so that is why it is off a bit the tranny is set up for 15 inch wheels. If you are running 15 inch wheels then Tom's fix is the one to use

I also am running a 1960 Chrysler Cast Iron TF tranny, and will probably face the same MPH errors too. So I am also interested in the fix for this.

On later Mopars (late 60's and 70's cars) it would be the replacement of the plastic speedo gears that have a certain tooth count in the side area of the trans. But it sounds like this is way different to solve on these Cast Iron TF's.

learning everday about these 59's.....

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

tomf

Post by tomf »

The reason my Belvedere convertible's speedo was off, is the rear end ratio is 318 instead of 331. It came out of a later model Chrysler.

Tom
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

You are brilliant, John! I never considered that a 61 Saratoga may have rolled on 15" wheels.
I simply assumed the speedo gears in the tranny (if there are any) were changed from 59.
I remember having trouble hooking up the ebrake, as the 59 cable wouldnt fit the '61 e-brake assembly. I can't remember if I changed the entire cable, or the e-brake housing.
(Matthew, I included an e-brake housing with the car, but which year it fits i don't recall.)
John, you may face the problem of hooking a '59 PB cable to a '60 tranny.
Last edited by rogerh on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.