New Fury owner in scenic Granby MA.

ratchet1568

New Fury owner in scenic Granby MA.

Post by ratchet1568 »

greeting everyone, i have just recently purchased a 1959 plymouth Fury 4 door with a 318. i came across it on the internet, all the way out in ohio, contacted the guy, and set up a time to meet him out there. My dad and I rented a uhaul trailer, and set out on the voyage, a solid 775 miles from Granby Massachusetts. we made it out there a few weeks later, and we were extremely satisfied, and gave the guy the cash, changed the title over, and put it on the trailer, and off we were. 38,000 miles on it, extremely beautiful frame, still had most of the original undercoating, almost no rust on the darn thing, its been in a barn for years, and when it was driven daily, kept in a garage, over all extremely beautiful, and solid car for the price, runs beautiful, transmission is great, original interior, seats need a good cleaning, it was a loved car, waxed soo much, it needs a paint job, the primer is showing through. very near road worthy, broken spedo, and head lamps only work in high beam mode for some reason, but over all, im not complaining for the $3,000 i got it for, i got some rims that are similar to Craiger mags, that i traded a friend of ours a case of beer for, those might look pretty fly on it, we will see...
DSCF6717.JPG
me with my grandfather's old IR race jacket on
DSCF6694.JPG
2 am, made it back
19591.JPG
front
19592.JPG
interior
DSC02610.JPG
just washed
DSC02652.JPG
dash shot
DSC02651.JPG
passenger door panels
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: New Fury owner in scenic Granby MA.

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Welcome aboard Ratchet man! Looks like you scored a nice 4 door Fury that has survived well. Look forward to seeing more photos of you and your Fury in the coming months.

I think on Ebay right now there is an NOS spedometer needle for sale and an entire gauge cluster to boot. Put together a list of much needed parts and we can help you locate them or even pull them out of our stash's we all have.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

PS, take some pictures of your engine compartment for us. A low millege Fury's engine compartment would be a great time capsule for us to mimic on some points.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

Looks like a fun car. Good to have another Noreaster aboard.
big m

Post by big m »

Nice looking car you've picked up! You got a really good deal on that solid of a car also.

---John
In rust we trust!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

welcome to the Board! That's quite a trip to make for a car! Great price too! :)
Dont think I am being critical; but I am a bit skeptical that the mileage is that low.
For example, I've never seen a paintjob wear off like that on low-mileage car. Over-waxing did that?
The car seats have long ago been re-upholstered in non-original material. Why?
Finally, you reported the speedo/odometer "isn't working". Is it deliberately disconnected? (Check the connections, then check the cable for breaks).
I see the car is missing the stainless "eyebrows", front valance, original radio, and windshield wiper switch.
I would love to see pics of the engine compartment!
The high beam filaments may be burned out, or the headlight switch may have corrosion on it, but most likely the floor switch or connection to it is messed up.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Welcome to this forum!
rogerh wrote: The car seats have long ago been re-upholstered in non-original material. Why?
Finally, you reported the speedo/odometer "isn't working". Is it deliberately disconnected? (Check the connections, then check the cable for breaks).
I see the car is missing the stainless "eyebrows", front valance, original radio, and windshield wiper switch.
I would love to see pics of the engine compartment!
The high beam filaments may be burned out, or the headlight switch may have corrosion on it, but most likely the floor switch or connection to it is messed up.
Roger,

I think this interior looks original and it might be the original material too imho. Speedos and cables are on Ebay every now and then and pricces are not that bad, but maybe it will work again after lubing it. The high beams are working according to his story so the floor switch probably has nothing to do with it, my guess is that there is corrosion on the headlight switch. You missed the non original antenna :lol: But it is a great car for a great price, even has the torqueflite where most Savoy's have a powerflite.

Good luck on with the car! Make it road worthy beffore next July and come to Carlisle to show it!

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Then why does the upholstery seem to clash with the door panels? Is that because the green color has faded out of the seats? I'm sure they were color-coordinated.
Do you have the original Fury fabric sample sheet?
Looks like the eyebrow areas have been repaired from rust-thru. Headlight buckets are painted body color.
Yep, I goofed up on the headlight topic...but since the high beams work, I would suspect the floor switch (more likely the plug connector to switch), which routes power to either high-or lowbeams.
Last edited by rogerh on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

The fabric looks like the fabric in Mike Weddle's car, when you check out his interior pics they very much look the same http://59sportfury.net/showcase/weddle.html It seems like the green is almost tan because of the angle the light falls in the car but it sure looks greener in the shaded part of the picture. I have seen 2 Savoy's with original fabric and they sure look like this one.

You could be right about the floor switch failure, hope so for Ratchet as these are easy to find on very cheap 8)

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Mike Weddle's car is a Savoy. The Granby, MA. car is a Fury.
Whle I think I detect some green in the Granby car's fabric, the fabric pattern is unfamiliar to me. I guess I need to cross-check with other Furys in the Showcase before I make any more comment! :D
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Ron, you are so right!
I went to the Showcase and looked a t Leon Walker's Fury pics. Sure enough, the fabric is exactly like the Granby, MA car. Thank you for your sharp observation skills! :D :D
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

I had that problem with the headlights, i replaced the dimmer switch ( they are usually available at NAPA or on ebay) and that solved the problem.

Bob
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Per the odometer, on the '59's; isn't it a simple task just to reach under dash and unscrew (disconnect) the knob on speedometer/odometer cable and screw it back in when you want to.? (not saying that was done) I never checked this out on my current '59 but back in '60's thought I discovered this.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

that's the way I remember it :)
ratchet1568

Post by ratchet1568 »

thank you all for the advice, it will be a slow process, but it will be fun, i have all the chrome in the trunk, and a set of new eyebrow chrome, i will have many more pics to come, and i think the connection between the trani, and the dash is severed somewhere close to the spedo, because when moving, i hear a soft metal scratching that varies with the speed of the car, sounds like a bad cable, i will look into it, thanks