Australian 59 plymouth update

aussie59plymouth

Australian 59 plymouth update

Post by aussie59plymouth »

Hi I have just got my car back from trimmers. Very happy with the job. Thought I would share with you guys. All my mates from our car club are going to America in August unfortunately this car in its final stages has cost me my plane ticket. I would have tried to meet you guys at some show over there if I was going. Oh well lets hope I will be driving it here when they visit your Country. Cheers Deano. I know you guys dont like modified 59 Plymouths much but the car was pretty stuffed when I got it. (No Barn Find) with missing bits lost over 25 years of sitting around in storage, and in Australia extra hard to get bits, but I have done the car as best I can to original with my little modified twist.
003.JPG
005.JPG
014.JPG
017.JPG
018.JPG
034.JPG
036.JPG
037.JPG
038.JPG
039.JPG
rogerh

Re: Australian 59 plymouth update

Post by rogerh »

Deano,
Sorry you got the idea "we" don't like the modified Plymouths...of course "we" do! I gotta appreciate the hours of time, skill and creativity to put together a customized car. I was first struck with seeing the right-hand drive, then the automatic shifter on the floor. What sort of dashboard is in there? I do not recognise even the general shape :?:
Next I admired the beautiful interior (no tuck-and-roll..hooray!), and the added shoulder belts in the back seat (for your son's safety, no doubt).
Are you having some stainless or aluminum pieces made up for the outsides, or do you have those already?
The license plate reads Hemi, and the rear tires look really wide. Show us what's under the hood!
Are you missing the stainless trim for the rear (back) window (windscreen)?
It's very close to completion!
aussie59plymouth

It is an Original RHD Australian Import. They used these dash boards on all 58 and 59 Dodge, Desoto and Plymouth model Imports as RHD. Yes it's a 392 Hemi. All Plymouth Imports in 1958 and 59 were 4 Door Hardtop Belvedere's. There were under 200 imported so they are rare over here. I don't see many 4 Door Hardtops in USA. I have all the Stainless trim polished ready to fit in the next few weeks. The interior pattern is as factory accept I gave it leather. It has been hard getting parts over here.
Some suppliers are good. Gary Goers has been fantastic.
Some suppliers are not so good. Andy Bernbaum sent me wrong bits and flawed bits was very Arrogant when when contacted for assistance. He upset me a bit I must say. So I had to throw his stuff in the bin and order from Gary Goers.
And Mopar Mel he was hard work as well. Oh well nearly finished.
001 - Copy.JPG
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

You found out what we here in the States already know, Mopar Mel is a disaster (crook?)
and Andy Bernbaum's phone man is an ass. If only it all could be changed.
Awesome Hemi there! I couldn't tell it was a leather interior (is that for a better "feel"? than vinyl?).
aussie59plymouth

Yes leather for the better feel, smell and also not so hot on the boy's backside during our hot summer. My mates all chipped in a bit for a surprise 40th present. They told me it had to be leather. Thanks Deano.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Deano, the car looks great! Give us a list of hard trim parts you are still needing. A lot of us have extra parts laying around.

Roger is right, we do like a modified 59 as well as a bone stock one. we like " All thinkss 59 Plymouth!"

Keep the pictures coming!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Great looking car. Nothing wrong with "personalizing" your car a bit the way you want it.
Sometimes restoring a car back to its original configuration is the easiest way, because you just follow the manufacturer's pattern, providing you can get the parts of course, but "modifying" it a little bit permits you to use your own creativity and imagination. Good job.
duggar

Post by duggar »

Don't feel bad. I can't even find parts here in Oklahoma for my Plymouth. Your Plymouth is really fixed up nice. Gary Goers is really great. I have never had a problem with him. It would be nice to be able to buy more reproduction parts.