new member from western nc

skyhawk61

new member from western nc

Post by skyhawk61 »

Hello everyone,
New member here! I bought my black and white 59 Plymouth Fury 2 door hardtop, (red interior) in June of 1967, when I was a sophomore in college. It had 82,000 one owner miles, 318, Powerflite, power steering with the clear steering wheel, AM radio, sport deck, and the dealer-installed 2-4 barrel intake and hi-po cam kit . I painted it in 1976. I still have it, although it's been stored inside (running when I parked it) since 1992. I 've been accumulating parts for 15 years, and I plan to start the the restoration this spring. I changed it over to a Torqueflite in the early 1970s. It's still the best car I've ever owned.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: new member from western nc

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

SkyHawk61, Glad to have you aboard! Send some pictures if you have some available of your beauty! We have a lot of people on this forum that can help you with any answers to your questions or even to locate some parts you need for your 59.
Skyhawk? do you have a Buick or a Cessna 172? :D

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Welcome!
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

welcome - sounds like a great car. I didn't know Power Flights were available in 59. Steve
skyhawk61

Post by skyhawk61 »

Denver 59 Fin Convert wrote:SkyHawk61, Glad to have you aboard! Send some pictures if you have some available of your beauty! We have a lot of people on this forum that can help you with any answers to your questions or even to locate some parts you need for your 59.
Skyhawk? do you have a Buick or a Cessna 172? :D

John Q.
I owned a Cessna 172D from 1984 to 2005 that was full IFR...sold it, hoping to upgrade to something a little newer--still hoping! Skyhawk61 was my call sign back when I was flying search and rescue/surveillance missions for local law enforcement. Dennis
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Figured it was a 172, My parents had a 1968 172 ((N7300R) can't remember the Letter designation) Full IFR, DME etc. They were mostly VFR flyers, I have my Multi Engine and Instruments ratings. The Instrument rating just in case I had to Skud run in marginal VFR. Other wise I was strictly VFR.

In the 80's I flew for a while with the Confederate Air Force, I was Air Show director here in Colorado for a couple years with our local wing, I was able to log some B24 and B29 time,L ooks great in the logbook to have 4 engine time. I have about 100 hours of C-310 besides my single engine time.

Getting back to 59 stuff, looking forward to a seeing some pictures of your 59 very soon once you dig them up!

John Q.
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Steve Storey wrote:welcome - sounds like a great car. I didn't know Power Flights were available in 59. Steve
Powerflite was the base automatic transmission, if your car, like mine is equipped with a 6, if its an automatic Powerflite was the one you got, Torqueflite was only available with a V8.

Bob
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Welcome to the site! It's great to have another member..we will bug you to get that car out of mothballs and into the sunlight again!
It is always interesting to me to hear of the various combinations of options..unusual to hear of a Fury 2ht fitted with a powerflite. Equally interesting is your memory that the dealer installed the 2x4 intake AND hi-po cam. What carbs are on there? Carters? What are their part numbers?
We all want to see a picture of your car...does it have a white roof on black body,.... where is the white?
skyhawk61

Post by skyhawk61 »

Here's a 1976 photo of the Fury just after I painted it. It still looks pretty much the same except for a thick layer of dust and the occasional surface rust. Notice the Magnum 500s from my old 68 Road Runner, and the lack of headlight eyebrow trim. (It was yet to be installed after the paint job) The dealer that sold the car new was right across the street from my dad's place of employment...Hickory Motor Sales was still a Desoto-Plymouth dealer when the secretary for this dealership ordered the car new. My father knew the sales manager, who told him the car was ordered with a two-barrel 318, and a 3:31 Sure Grip;within a month or so after delivery, the woman's husband had the 2-4 carburetor setup, dual exhausts, a dual point distributor, and the hi-po cam installed for more go. With 2-4s and a Powerflite, it had an extraordinary Low range but it didn't change into Drive until about 55mph if you kept your foot in it.
By the time I got it from the same dealer ($550.00!) in 1967, the small round air cleaners installed by the dealer had been replaced with the "football" shaped air cleaners from a Chrysler 300E, it had been fitted with a set of red protective seat covers (original covers underneath) and a full set of Dodge Lancer "knight's head" hubcaps. The carbs were small Carter AFB's (I don't have access to the carb numbers at present). I loaned the car for a while to my sister, who drove it to high school from 1969-1971--I removed the 2-4 setup and replaced it with a single 4 bbl to keep things sane,(Still have the setup, however) then switched it over to a 61 Torqueflite when the Powerflite gave up the ghost. Sorry, but I can't find a picture of the engine compartment.
Dec05#03 59 plymouth Fury.jpg
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Love it! Looks great!
skyhawk61

Post by skyhawk61 »

You can't tell it from the photo, but this car has a gold anodized grille; the 59 Fury 4 door that I have has a silver anodized grille. I don't know if this was a production change or what.