New to the Forum

clayba0850

New to the Forum

Post by clayba0850 »

Hello from Don Claybaugh.I live in Alabama and i'm retired from Ford Motor company where i spent 35 + years making Engines.I bought a new Sport Fury in 1959 before i went to work for ford and always wanted another one after i retired.I Bought this low milage car from Allen Faltus.The original upholstery went to pot as soon as i started to drive the car as i was working on it so that is my next project :D .i'll send post some pictures as soon as possible.I would enjoy hearing from some of the 59 Ply owners so keep in touch.
Don
Nighthawk

Re: New to the Forum

Post by Nighthawk »

Welcome Don, as you are, im a retired autoworker as well,i spent 32 and a half years with GM, first assembling Chevy and GMC vans and later on in a different plant, assembling Chev Silverado and GMC Sierra.i bought my 59 Plymouth in 2004, and i also have a 59 Chev which ive owned since 2001, both are original 6 cylinder automatic cars.
Looking forward to seeing your pics!

Bob
big m

Post by big m »

Welcome, Don!

You'll find this site to be informative, as well as meeting some great folks!

---John
In rust we trust!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Welcome! I got to see your car when Allen entered it in a show here in Western Washington a few years ago. A very beautiful example. I am sorry to hear the upholstery is giving out.
If you are planning on keeping the interior factory-original in appearance, I believe you will find the only source for re-manufactured fabric is SMS, in Oregon. The owner, Doug Pollock has a computerized loom, and when he has enough orders for material of a certain color, he will program the loom and make some yardage. (There are four Sport Fury interior fabric colors.)
Hopefully he has what you need on-the-shelf right now. There are many stories on the internet about how customers have waited several years for their orders to get filled, for the reason stated above.
Good luck with your '59!