Colorado Belvedere Convertible progressing

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Fins59

Re: Colorado Belvedere Convertible progressing

Post by Fins59 »

I wish I could weld like that. I usually warp or burn through, but I got a cheap wire feed...we'll blame it on that.
Back in 2004 I replaced part of a rocker panel and the dog leg section just behind drivers door. I didn't trust my welding so I used 3M panel adhesive to attach the new metal to car. That was 6 years ago and everything is holding up good. Cannot see where repairs were made. So for you non-welders that's another way to go. Some of my old school buddies scoffed at that technique but like I said, it's holding up and I did it myself and probably saved a few $$.

Talked to a few body shop guys before I did this and got their advice. One shop guy said his guys did not believe in this stuff so they "glued" two pieces of sheet metal together and then tried to pull them apart with a frame straightening machine and it couldn't do it, the adhesive held.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Roger, I am using the 707 fiberglass engine compartment shroud. Which I have been told by someone at the FL site that I have a Deluxe heater box. The area on the box stretchs to the 2nd upper mouting hole (from the Drivers side) versus going to about the 2 1/2 hole beginning before the box swing out as my original box went. (see page one of this thread for a view of my 707 Heater box in one of my engine shots)

My original box had a huge hole in it and birds had made a nest around the fan unit. See pictures below. I had purchased a new to me, but used fiberglass box a couple years ago off of Ebay, it just happened to be this 707 casing. I don't know what was deluxe about the heater because it has the same surface area as the original heater core. Just that the flat steel exteded further to the drivers side and sealed this area up a bit. Maybe making more efficient. See a photo of the two heater cores below.

In answer to your question...I don't know why the HCV would show a different Part number for it over a std. Heater core. Perhaps with this more effecient Heater core with the bigger flat support structure the HCV may have been slighly bigger in diamenter or even in flow rate. I have a 60 Chrysler HCV and it is a Ranco H16 also but the inlet and outlet are the same size as a 59's is. I did not get the HCV that was original to the 707 shroud and heater core.
100_3925.JPG
Standard and Deluxe heater core, same finned area but metal extension went further and blocked more of the area of the fiberglass box.
100_3926.JPG
100_2137 - Copy.JPG
Hole in fiberglass box made a nice condo for the birds to build a nest.
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Fins59 wrote:I wish I could weld like that. I usually warp or burn through, but I got a cheap wire feed...we'll blame it on that.
Back in 2004 I replaced part of a rocker panel and the dog leg section just behind drivers door. I didn't trust my welding so I used 3M panel adhesive to attach the new metal to car. That was 6 years ago and everything is holding up good. Cannot see where repairs were made. So for you non-welders that's another way to go. Some of my old school buddies scoffed at that technique but like I said, it's holding up and I did it myself and probably saved a few $$.

Talked to a few body shop guys before I did this and got their advice. One shop guy said his guys did not believe in this stuff so they "glued" two pieces of sheet metal together and then tried to pull them apart with a frame straightening machine and it couldn't do it, the adhesive held.
John, I almost went this route with the adhesive but actually wanted to learn how to weld these panels on. I did have a lot of burn thru as I learned how to adjust the weld temperature and wire feed. I had invested in a copper paddle tool that acts as a backing device when filling the burn thru areas with additiona weld.Then grind it down flush.

Todays adhesives do work fine and will try this on my 69 charger when I get around to putting on full quarters to the car.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

The birds' nest photo is priceless, but I think you veer off topic...the water valve.
Since the water valve PN is different for A/C vs. non- A/C, and my memory is fuzzy, all I can guess is the A/C valve has some added sensor...for what, I can't imagine.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

rogerh wrote:The birds' nest photo is priceless, but I think you veer off topic...the water valve.
Since the water valve PN is different for A/C vs. non- A/C, and my memory is fuzzy, all I can guess is the A/C valve has some added sensor...for what, I can't imagine.
Veering is my middle name. (Segway is my confimation name) I was commenting on the 707 etc heater boxes and my H16 will work fine on it. I think you are right on the AC part with more sensors.

The fan motor that surrounded the birds nest was imbedded with straw and twigs. Had to pick it out with tweezers. But it is a classic photo. Should make that my Avatar for a while...

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - Just for you, since the flash on my camera would not work I took a flashlight and got a couple of pictures, these are from a 4 dr. parts car I have. It looks like the valve operating lever is on the bottom and works back and forth horizontally. the cable snakes in from the right hand side and when the lever is all the way up the lever on the valve is to the right.

The windshield moulding clip is in the mail today. Cost is a ride in that convertible when you come to Florida or I go to Colorado, deal?
Dick.
100_2210.jpg
100_2211.jpg
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Thanks Dick! It looks like I need to flip my HCV 180 degree's. What made me stop was a picture I had taken of the interior that showed the temp control cable coming from the right and and being supported by the clip in the interior Heater housing. The way I have it in now is way to far to the center to be correct and was beyond the support clip. Your picture confirms that I had flipped it around 180 degree's.

Now after flipping back to the correct orientation I can put the dash frame in. Better to correct now with the frame out then have be upside down under the dash switching it. Here is the picture that made me stop and ask you what is correct.

You are on for the ride out here in the Belvy convert! Or I will mooch a ride off of you someday! I would probably ask you for a Diet Pepsi too! That is just how I roll!

John Q.
100_2452.jpg
This is a before picture of the interior. the Heater cable shows coming from the far right/passenger side originally not the way I had installed it.
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Here is a shot at my inverted HCV after I rebuilt it. It was off by 180 degree's in placement. Had a 50/50 chance and choose the wrong 50%. Thanks to members like Dick and actually all of you, who I ask silly questions of, I learn a lot!

John Q.
IMG00233-20101003-1611.jpg
Not in correct position, I never did get around to POR-15 the inside the upper cowl area, just surface scale for now. I will let my son do this in 20 years!!
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Wiring the car up is taking longer then expected trying to blend the brand new harness into the steering column harness. I figured it was easier to keep the steering column harness assembly together and splice into it using the old harness plug.

Easier said and done there! The newer harness (Similar to a Painless harness) just has a different way of routing thru the fused bulkhead then the old direct wiring method.

My old harness was cut up and had cracked or mouse eaten sections, so I had to go to a more modern approach. but with wrapping it in non-ahesive Year One Tape. It will look old school. (except for you guys and gals sharp eyes!)

Dash frame is in and some of the molding is on. I will get some Forward Look friends help this weekend to finish the column wiring. All other terminations are straight forward to do.

PS. Sent a $650 Money Order to Gary Goers today for a bunch of needed parts. Weatherstripping, door glass rubber, Convert top rubber seals etc.

It's just money! I am also applying for Stimulus Money from my Congressman to get the last batch of Goers parts for detailing parts of stickers etc. :lol:

Should get that in a week or two so I can populate the doors and get that sub-assembly done.

I guess I better get some snow tires at the rate I am going... :roll:

John Q.
100_4106.JPG
Spaghetti wiring. The white horns are my wifes suggestion to break up the overwhelming Turquoise color.
100_4107.JPG
The white Sport Deck is also designed to break up the Turquoise. Other wise the car would be monotone.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hey John - Looking good, you will be on the road way ahead of me. Diet Pepsi is my favorite.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Thanks Dick, I don't know about who will get done first but if I can knock out the steering column wiring issues this weekend I can put in the carpet and the seats and clear out some more rooms in the garage for the continuing saga of this rebirth of this convertible.

I have both Diet Pepsi and Diet Sunkist chilling for you and I. As long as both of us "git er' dun!" in a resonable amount of time then we both can relax a bit.

It's getting cold outside with a bit of a nip in the air...First hard frost is expected this weekend. Then it's Indian summer! :P

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

Boy-it is progressing John! Great Work!
big m

Post by big m »

She's coming along nicely, John!! Doing a great job as well.

---John
In rust we trust!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

I have been cheating and taking notes on everyones Car (and your convert restoration) to get me to this point on what goes where and how things should look. If I am stumped, I just put out a help call and you guys inform me on how it should go together and look.

So it is easy to do with the help of this Forum and its members.... And if you vote fore me this November...Opps got sidetracked a bit with all the political rabble going on. :roll:

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Never wanting to be 2nd best to Dick (though I am destined to be!) I upgraded by engine compartment Heater housing with "Dick Koch approved black paint".

Hmmmm? Dick's still looks better! :o

John Q.
100_4104.JPG
Thanks for the tip on the paint Mr. Koch!
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)