Various how to's and information request

Got a question? This is the place to ask
53619PLF

Various how to's and information request

Post by 53619PLF »

Hello,

I have a few questions people on here can probably help me with. I have 2 59 Plymouths, a hardtop and a convertible. I really haven't had them that long, and there are lots of things I am not familiar with.

1. My hardtop has a RCA record player just like the one shown in I believe Tom Gerrards convertible in Montana. My question is how can I test it. It has a special plug, and presently is not plugged in and my understanding is that it has to be the fancier radio to be able to plug into it. My hardtop radio says deluxe in the backlit area and the convertible just says Plymouth, but they are both 5 button.

2. My hardtop has the windshield washer setup with 2 speed wipers, but my convertible is just single speed wipers and no washer. Anything is possible, but my guess is that it would be kind of a pain to put that into the convertible. I don't really want to cut up any of the wiring in either car, and the wiper motor is probably different as well.

3. I have never had the door handles or window cranks off, but assume there is a special tool for this ?. I see someone running a listing on ebay for one. Anyone know if that tool works or where to get one ?.

4. My hardtop has the cowl tag and a door jamb tag, and my convertible just has a welded on cowl tag. The hardtop cowl tag shows a one in the beginning of the 6 digit series number after the M1296 105xxx, while the door tag shows M1296 205xxx. Can anyone shed some light why the difference. The only reason I ask is because when I went to Chrysler Historical to get info, I was told that there are no Sport Furys that start with the 2 . They all start with a 1, which means I have to get the car looked at again by the police to get the title changed to have the correct VIN number. The door tag was obviously used for the title VIN.

5. Does anyone know of a place that does stainless work that is good as far as working out imperfections in stainless and polishing. I have seen the Frankford Plating, but believe they are just into the chrome plating.

6. I see that the 59s have no fuse block, how is any of the wiring protected against shorts on these cars ?.

I appreciate any information anyone can provide me. I may not bring any of my cars since I don't have a trailer, but I am going to try and make it to the Chryslers at Carlisle in July.

Thank You
Tim Baker
Nighthawk

Re: Various how to's and information request

Post by Nighthawk »

Hi Tim
I should be able to answer a couple of these..

Question 1, the radio that says Deluxe is an after market radio that was made by Automatic Radio Company here in Toronto Ontario, the one that says Plymouth was a factory one or at least one supplied by Mopar for Plymouths, i dont know of a radio that has an outlet that you can use to plug in the record player.

Question 2, the single speed wipers had an optional foot pump setup for the windshield washers.

Question 3, yes you do need a special tool to get the window crank handles off, if you see one on ebay, grab it!

Question 6, they have circuit breakers instead of fuses, they are located behind the switches apparently, (so i was told anyway)

Hopefully someone else can add to what help ive given here!

Bob
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Here's a note about removing door handles:

http://www.59sportfury.net/59forum/view ... 5263#p5263

I thought there was a picture somewhere on the website, but I can't seem to find it now.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Hi Tim,

I am not a mechanical wizard but let's give it a try:

1 With the RCA record player you only need the antenna connection to play your 45's. You can either remove the antenna cable and connect it or find a splitter for it. You will have to find the "station" by tuning the radio.

2 Bob is right about the foot pump.

3 My son Matthew takes them of by just using a single srewdriver. Once you know how to do it it's a piece of cake.

4 The last 6 digits are the production number. If the number starts with M1 it was born as a 6 cyl car and M2 was a V8. But there as no combination M1296, M296 is a Sport Fury built in Evansville.

5 there is a place in Califonia I have heard about, they do a good job for a reasonable price. I can't think of the name right now but I will check and post the info here soon.

We will be there too and we look forward to meet you! And it is OK to go to Carlisle without your car, I have been doing that for years :lol:

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Regarding the record player, try looking at TheImperial Pages.com.(I do not know if you will find the answer there)
My 59 Supplement must be in the garage, or I'd try to answer your question #2..can a 2-spd wiper w/ washer be swapped into a car having only 1-spd wipers.
#3...window and door crank/handles...I imagine the tool would be very helpful, but I have always used my knee (to push and hold the panel in) and a screwdriver to release the hardware.
#4...the cowl tag...converts emerged from teh facotry with a cowl tag only. Either you are mis0reading teh tag. or someone has altered it...as Ron said, there is no such thing as an M1sportfury.
#5 stainless polishing...well, I havent had much done by them but there is a place near me (Seattle, WA) that is set up for all that.
#6 Fuse blocks...NO, there aren't any. Either the cirsuit has an in'line glass fuse, such as the radio, or a circuit breaker (on such things as power seat, cvt top)...otherwise there is no protection. The ignition has the ceramic fuse on the firewall.
I hope this helps.,
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I reteived my Supplement, and the answer to #2 is easy...you need a dash-mount variable switch to operate a variable-speed wiper. The chassis harness is the same for either...one single black wire feeds the switch. After the switch, you use teh harness that comes with the wiper motor. And yes, it may have the washer feature, which is a group of wires running to the footpump.
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

Thank you for all the replies on my questions.

I think I may have added to the confusion with my question about the cowl and door tag numbers. The 1 and 2 I was talking about were the beginning numbers of the last six digits which is just the production number. Right ?

The cowl tag and the door jamb tag on the hardtop, specifically the production number, is where the difference is. The cowl tags last 6 digits start 105xxx, and the door jamb tags last 6 digits start 205xxx. My door tag looks like this 2 M1296 205xxx. I don't have the hardtop right here to where I can tell you exactly what it says on the cowl tag. I think it says M296 105xxx, but will have to verify this.

Thank You
Tim Baker
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

The audio cable connection from the HiWay HiFi needs to (I believe) connect to a radio so as to have amplification of sound, and speakers to produce sound. I can see no reason why the antenna needs to be hooked up to a phonograph. I did not find any precise information on which radios had this plug-in.
There are a few folks on www.forwardlook.net who I am sure could answer the readio question.
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

That doesn't sound too bad as far as the wiring involved with the washer pump. I will have to check it out. That brings me to another related question of the wipers. That cowling cover will have to come off to get to the washer nozzles, but at my first look, I don't see what holds that on. I'm sure it was right there in front of me, but I don't see any bolts on that piece.

Thanks
Tim
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I would copy it here if I knew how, but I don't so I will type it out:
From the 59 Parts Book, Page INF-05, I get this:
"1959 Passenger Car Serial Number Designation
The new serial number coding system will be uniform for all car assembly plants.The code breakdown is as follows:
The serial number will consist of a ten digit alpha and numeric number sequence number. The first digit being the alpha designation for model year - "M"
The 2nd digit is the numeric ID for car line used in the uniform body codes:
1 Plymouth 6 cyl
2 Ply 8
3 Dodge
4 Desoto
5 Chry
6 Imp
The next digit is the model series identification used in the uniform body code:
0.Coronet 6
2 coronet 8 Firesweep, windsor, imp
2. Thunderbolt
3 Savoy, Royal, Firedome, Sara, Crown
5.Belv, cust, flite, NY, LeB
6 Fury, Dodge 6 taxi Desoto 6 taxi
7 wagons
8 ply 6 taxi, Ply 8 taxi, all 8 cyl taxis
9 special models, incl sport fury
Fourth digit is .....production plant #1-8
The last six digits will consist of a six digit sequence number. The sequence numbers will all begin with 1000001. Each nodel series for each car line will begin with sequence number 100001."
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

To remove the cowl vent grille, use a plastic or nylon lever 9gentle on paint) to pry it up and loose. It is held in by spring clips,much like the door panels.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Thanks for trying to dis-confuse me as to the cowl and door tags...something is still noto right...Sport Furys are M29---------------Furys are M26...........wagons are M27............
These are SERIAL numbers. The data tag will read MP2-P.....for sport Fury...
( I think I have this right, the book is right in front of me, but it is Late..and I am going to bed)!
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

rogerh wrote:I would copy it here if I knew how, but I don't so I will type it out:
From the 59 Parts Book, Page INF-05, I get this:
"1959 Passenger Car Serial Number Designation
The new serial number coding system will be uniform for all car assembly plants.The code breakdown is as follows:
The serial number will consist of a ten digit alpha and numeric number sequence number. The first digit being the alpha designation for model year - "M"
The 2nd digit is the numeric ID for car line used in the uniform body codes:
1 Plymouth 6 cyl
2 Ply 8
3 Dodge
4 Desoto
5 Chry
6 Imp
The next digit is the model series identification used in the uniform body code:
0.Coronet 6
2 coronet 8 Firesweep, windsor, imp
2. Thunderbolt
3 Savoy, Royal, Firedome, Sara, Crown
5.Belv, cust, flite, NY, LeB
6 Fury, Dodge 6 taxi Desoto 6 taxi
7 wagons
8 ply 6 taxi, Ply 8 taxi, all 8 cyl taxis
9 special models, incl sport fury
Fourth digit is .....production plant #1-8
The last six digits will consist of a six digit sequence number. The sequence numbers will all begin with 1000001. Each nodel series for each car line will begin with sequence number 100001."
Looking at Rogers stats, My Belvedere is a Canadian made one built in Windsor Ontario with a VIN of M159100559, so i guess "9" is the code for the Windsor plant......
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

INteresting! My book doesn't mention the Windsor plant, nor the M159xxxx. I believe you are correct.
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

Thanks again for the information. I never would have known about the clips on the cowling. I definitely don't want to damage or scratch anything.

Something else I was thinking about was which fender mirrors are correct for the 59 Plymouth. I know there are different ones or at least mirror parts with the twin tower setup. Some just have a round mirror, and some have like an eyebrow over the top. The eyebrow type is what is on my convertible. I know they were added on that car. My hardtop has a single mirror, not twin tower, and has almost like a gunsight behind the mirror.

Thanks
Tim