Items needed and HELP! -> general wellness questions..

Got a question? This is the place to ask
JSSuper

Good news, Good Finds!

Post by JSSuper »

Ooo excellent guys, thanks a TON! :D

Roger, to test them you can take them to a local radiator shop, they usually won't charge anything to test, but they pressure test them usually in a tank of liquid and then pressurize it with air.... if they see airbubbles escaping.... then you know where and how bad it leaks. There is probably a way you can rig this up at home....

I appreciate the help and parts location. I'm not exactly sure wich it is just yet, that was my next step after I get the engine back together. I will hopefully have time to check into that tomorrow.

I finally have GOOD news! The car runs like a scalded dog. I felt no miss whatsoever and %95 of the power is there. The rest is carb tuning and slight timing adjustment wich I hope to get finished up tomorrow after I replace the valve-cover gaskets and get it back together again. The passenger side was just as off as the driver side. I'm also getting close to getting the accellerator pump issue worked outl, but it RUNS! :D :D

I was ecstatic to finally have it running right. Now I will get to the shows I missed last year, the first is coming up on the 17th.

Roger, for now you can hold off on the test, especially if they want to charge you. Let me get it apart tomorrow, if I can, and we'll see exactly what is wrong, but I will likely work something out with you for that core anyway, it never hurts to have another lying around.

I also found a stock air cleaner I can use for the shows if I cannot find me one in the mean time. I have a house going up in central UT and just through the block there is a old house. Right in the front yard under the tree sits a 1959 Sport Fury Hdtp :shock: Its been there for years and the condition shows. It actually sat for so long it had a tree growing up through the floor... :( Anyhow my father and countless others have tried to get the guy to sell it for quite some time. He purchased the car new and simply doesn't want to part with it. He has always insisted he was going to fix it up, but what with a oak growing up through the floor I had my doubts. Finally my father convinced him to move the car so now it sits near the road, but still under the tree and it atleast has a tarp over the top/glass. Its pretty ragged really, but its all there and I think it could be fixed.

Anyhow we talked to him again today and even though I doubt the car will ever be "saved" I kind of understand why he doesn't want to let it go... its a link to the wonderful memories he had when young.... (Oh to be young again, as the saying goes... :?) Anyhow he agreed to let me use the air cleaner for the shows until I can get a replacement. He was a pretty nice guy, even though he won't sell me the car :wink:

This brings up another point.. on the Poly 318 4bbl, what was the original color of the air cleaner? Black would look the best, or grey in my opinion, but his is red....?
Here is a photo of the car:

Sad to see it rotting though :cry:
Cody C.
The prowd owner of a 1959 Iceberg White Sport Fury 318 TqFlt.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

how neat to have a ghost from the past just down the street. I too had a ghost...this convertible sat outdoors, un-moved, for 24 years. The fellow wouldnt sell, gonna fix it up...finally gave it away last year.
I see your neighbor's car has the desireable front bumper "wings".

The correct aircleaner color for the 318 is red.
I do have a barrel I could fill with water and pressure-test the heater cores. Dan Morton wants the other one. Just a matter of finding time to DO all these things!
Roger
JSSuper

Post by JSSuper »

Roger, I'll send a private message with my e-mail and mailing adress. Calculate shipping and let me know what you want for that core.

That car is not in that bad of shape really, all of the chrome is strait and really good, but there is a lot of cancer in places. The interior is rotten though.... Anyhow red was the color huh? well red it will have to be then :) Thanks for the info and help.
Cody C.
The prowd owner of a 1959 Iceberg White Sport Fury 318 TqFlt.

Post by Guest »

Cody,
Please give me your street address again, as I cannot find it in the "system". I have your heater core boxed and ready to ship. All I ask is $10 to cover shipping costs.
Please send your address to me at:
roger.d.howard@comcast.net
Dick Koch

Engine miss at speed!

Post by Dick Koch »

My 59 Ply SF with 318 engine and 60 Desoto with 383 both developed a miss at speed. The shaft of both distributors had a lot of side play (worn bushings) replaced with rebuilt distributors from local NAPA dealer. Problem solved. Remove the Cap and rotor, move shaft back and forth, any movement is not good, check it out.
Dick.