any modern updates?

Got a question? This is the place to ask
narleycharlie

any modern updates?

Post by narleycharlie »

Is everyone here all stock or have any updated mods to driveline or whatever?I found a 60 dodge wagon I snatched the 4 brake drums off of.This enabled me to get away from the lug bolts and go to the lug nuts.And for the kicker got larger brakes in the front,on the front I took the backing plates to accomadate the wider brakes.Stops a lot better.Just recently I found an e body(73 challenger) rearend.Bolted up perfectly,did this for ease and availability of modern brakes.Disc brakes are in the far off future.I drive my car all the time,it is very dependable so for dependability I chose to do this.Also has an alternater,when I first got the car the armature in the gen was cracked and the cost was thru the roof,so I rode around for almost a year on a hot battery and a jumper box in the trunk.Stayed close to home during those days.No mods that can t be reversed.I see the bidding wars on e bay,and to say the least I can make due with what I can find.I am far from a butcher,I will not drill holes in my dash for cheesy accesories.My car would have been parted out by a lot of moneyhungry e bayers,but because it ran and drove I figured it was worthyof keeping it together.Well whats your story,we would like to know,or at least I would.Later Charlie
If you don t ask for it,don t whine if you don t get it.(This goes for anything in life.)
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Charlie, I definitely see disk brakes in my future. I'll probably get a kit, though, I'm nowhere near as ambitious as you :P

My interior bears some semblance to the original, but it's definitely not factory; and it's now painted red, where it once was bronze. I won't drill any holes in the dash, either! (But I will drill a hole in the radio, for an IPod jack :wink: )

Dan
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

The only thing we did is an amplifier in the glovebox and a discman and 2 speakers in the back. That's everything
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
safetymike1977

Lots of changes

Post by safetymike1977 »

My car is nearly perfect body and interior wise, but when it comes to the engine, I usually bolt on speed parts and keep the old ones, unless they are worth enough to sell. Mine has an MSD box, different distributor, coil, master cylinder, disk brakes, intake, carb, air filter and a few other small pieces.

Post by Guest »

I HAV E A BOX OF DEAD GENERATORS LAYING IN THE DriVEWAY...
if there is something you can use ,let me know or they go to the dump
JSSuper

Post by JSSuper »

My car is %100 ok well more like %99.2 original. I am still using everything factory save for a stereo that was installed in the late 80's. I still have the old AM radio sitting in a box in the garage. The dash was not modified in any way though. If I get ambitios with it again this winter I'll re-install the factory radio and install a CD player in the glove box or under the dash somewhere that is not intrusive/noticeable. I'll also be on the lookout for old speaker grills because there are 2 6x9's installed in the rear deck. Really won't be too hard to make look old and or hide the speakers and re-cover the deck again because I have the material.

Your care is a driver? I complement your saving the car from "parting out" and driving it. Me, I drove mine almost solid for 1 summer about 6 years ago, then I put it away again and simply put it in shows now. Its not worth the chance of something happening to it. Lots of sentimental value besides monetary. I thought about getting another '59 Plymouth or '60 Chrysler or other Forward Look car as a driver, but honestly they are a little too old for me as a daily driver.
Cody C.
The prowd owner of a 1959 Iceberg White Sport Fury 318 TqFlt.
Fins59

Updates

Post by Fins59 »

I have a AM/FM CD hidden in my glove box. I use a remote to operate it. Have to have glove box door open though. Fwd Look Frank said one time you can buy some kind of device to hide in your dash so you just aim remote at it and not the radio, thus you can leave door closed. I asked at a few radio places and they can't help. I'll have to ask Frank for more details. Disc Brakes - Front - I bought the basic kit ($189) from AAJ. Bought the rest of parts from local parts store to save on shipping. Used a master cyl/power booster and brake lite switch from a '75 Ply Volare. Rear hubs - separated rear drums from hubs so now do not need puller to service rear brakes and can now use lug nuts instead of lug bolts. Going to go with rear discs one of these days. Radial tires - car was absolutely no fun to drive with bias ply tires. 110% improvement in handling/steering and ride comfort with the radials. Just using the narrow whites for now. Plan on springing for the WWW soon.