differential fluid change

Got a question? This is the place to ask
rogerh

differential fluid change

Post by rogerh »

Has anyone tried to do this?
I drained the old oil.
Manual says it will take 3.5 pts. Fill until it spills out or is 1/2" below fillhole.
So I put in 2 qts (4 pts.)..Still no spill-over, and putting a pinky in there, I can't really tell...
whaddya think? call it good?
narleycharlie

Post by narleycharlie »

Hey Roger,my opinon is if you can t touch it it s still low.I just checked a 59 rearend in the yard,if you notice, the fill/check hole is up by the axel tube.The tube always holds a little oil but if the fluid level is low the outer bearings may not get enuff juice.Hope that helps.Charlie
If you don t ask for it,don t whine if you don t get it.(This goes for anything in life.)
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I tend to agree..I don't see how I can hurt anything by filling JUST to overflow, as there is plenty of space in the differential.
It was CarTalk where the calleer wanted to know if the consistent overfilling of the oil by the lube shops was going to damage his car...and Click and Clack said as long as it isnt WAY over the dipstick line, all is well. If you go way over the line, the crankshaft? starts to foam up the oil and you get engine breakdown...
tomf

differential oil level

Post by tomf »

I would fill it until in starts to run out the filler hole. By the way the wheel bearings do not oil from the differential, they need packed like a front wheel bearing. Tom
rogerh

rear axle bearings

Post by rogerh »

What, you didnt do that before I bought the carcass from you? Well, now I have to figure that one out...har har...
darn p/w master switch keeps falling apart...I just dont want to deal wtih it!
I ordered the control arm center link bushing from Dawson...$2 for the part, and $10 for shipping...gotta have it