Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
big m

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by big m »

I'd be happy to let you use the tools, do you already have the slide hammer?

The brake drum trick works on conventional axles, but our tapered axles I do have doubts.

---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks John - I could have rented the slide hammer, but there will be no need! You will see from my next post.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

T.W. Sam took a crack at pulling the axle today. Here's a shot to start me off (so I remember to put the springs back on the right way :roll: ):

IMG_2185.JPG

The hardest part of this whole initiative, was loosening the brake fluid line. The guy who replaced my lines really locked the sucker down; I'd say it was overtightened. I brass wire-brushed it all up, tried Liquid Wrench and tapping, but I was in danger of rounding the hex. I briefly considered disconnecting the other end of the line, but gave it one more college try with vise-grips. "Crack!!" It came loose. No need to be that tight.

IMG_2186.JPG
And here we are with the backing plate removed. A single shim for end-play
IMG_2187.JPG
I had three deep well sockets of different sizes, but same height - I packed them with newspaper to keep them in place, but also to move them off-center so they would not occlude the bearing. The author of the article did it with just two, but I went with three for tripod stability
IMG_2188.JPG
IMG_2189.JPG
IMG_2190.JPG
At first, it seemed to easy to be true. But then I realized the differential was turning; I hadn't put the drum key back in, all my tires were off, and the driveshaft was out. D'Oh! So I disassembled, but the key back in, reassembled, and starting cranking down on the crown nut.

It slooooowly eased its way out! But, I ran out of play with the race most of the way out - in fact, I had to use the drum puller again to get the drum off of the axle - but after I removed the drum, I put the crown nut and washer back on, slid an open end wrench behind the washer, gave it a couple taps and the bearing was out.
IMG_2191.JPG
And my good fortune! The race and bearings are in perfect shape, no burning at all. The bearings are soaked with gear oil, of course, I'll have to flush that out (what should I use?) and pack it real well with grease.
IMG_2195.JPG
IMG_2196.JPG
The backing plate is full of grime, bigly. Should be easy enough to pop the outer seal out
IMG_2197.JPG
IMG_2192.JPG
But the inner seal is going to be a challenge. You can see here where there's a little ding in the seal face. Looks like they damaged it, putting it in - I wonder if the neoprene was slightly out of round as a result, and if that contributed to its failure
IMG_2198.JPG
I've tried tugging on it with this seal remover, but it doesn't seem to want to give. The rag is an attempt to protect the well the race sits in. Any ideas for me on how to get that sucker out?
IMG_2199.JPG

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Using the Harbor Freight Weenie Hammer (TM) and a socket extension, the outer seal easily popped out of the backing plate. All cleaned up, ready for mineral spirits and Ospho. Oh yeah! There was another shim glued to the backing plate, it slid off when I started wire brushing. Into the box o' parts for safekeeping.
IMG_2202.JPG
IMG_2203.JPG
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

It looks like the "Ampro" hook-style seal remover is better suited for seals that are more or less flush with the surface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05We3l4hthE

For a recessed seal, such as the inner axle seal, I'm guessing I need something more along the lines of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxuGKx8Y8Aw

There's a second part to that article that demonstrated how to use sockets and a brake drum to pull axles - in the second part, he reverses the feet on his slide hammer and uses that to pull the inner seal. I'll check out Auto Zone again, to see if they have a slide hammer puller with an attachment like that.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Found this in my tool stash. Hmmm...

IMG_2204.JPG

You thinking what I'm thinking? Washers on those bolts make nice enough feet... And this part is threaded. Maybe I can get the washers to catch the lip of the seal, and with a flat piece of metal across the face of the axle housing as a surface to turn the center bolt against, I can fenagle my own seal puller.

But, for another day. I'm scrubbed up, and it's back to work tomorrow.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote: Dan - l rented one of these from Advance Auto Parts one time and then bought one later. They make the job very simple.

https://www.carid.com/powerbuilt/master ... 48611.html

Dick
puller.JPG
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Coming from a Scottish heritage, and not wanting to shell out 130 bucks to pull out a seal that cost 13 bucks, I attempted my Rube Goldberg puller:

IMG_2209.JPG

...to no avail. The washers, they found no purchase. So, that's a failure.

Here's a success story:

morahdojopic.jpg

Time keeps on slippin'... Into the future.

Guess I'll shell out those $130 bucks now.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - Why spend that kind of money when you can rent the tool set at Advance, Autozone, O'Reilly or NAPA. Since you are at it do both sides an use the money saved to buy new bearings and never have to worry about it again. Then you won't have a tool you will never use again.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Oh, who's the cutie.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

That would be Princess Morah, my granddaughter. Her old man called me "Egon" (Spengler) when he was a kid and we played Ghostbusters. When she was about to be born, and my son asked me if I wanted to be called Grandpop or Pop Pop - I replied, naturally, "I want to be called Egon".

And, so she does.
big m

Post by big m »

That was an ingenious way to remove the axle, Dan!!!!

---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks John!

And this morning, back to Auto Zone, where you can rent tools for free. Not a bad deal!

IMG_2210.JPG
The right tool for the job
IMG_2211.JPG
IMG_2212.JPG
A couple whacks on the slide hammer (also free to rent), and out she comes. Clean as a whistle!
IMG_2213.JPG

But it's my last weekend with Princess Morah, for a while - my son is moving to Austin for a job. I'll pick up next week.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Back to work. The inner seal set in place, my custom-made seal set (rotated judiciously with each tap of the Weenie Hammer (TM)), and fully up against the stop.

IMG_2242.JPG
IMG_2243.JPG
IMG_2244.JPG
IMG_2245.JPG
I decided that the bearing was OK, I packed it real well and set the axle back in place. And if it ever fails, it will be documented in this thread that Dr. 59 recommended I replace it. I put the race in place, and with light taps, set the race partially in. As suggested in the article, I would let the backing plate with the shims push it in to the right depth.
IMG_2246.JPG
IMG_2247.JPG
All cleaned up and ready to go, and with the outer seal set. It's actually set a bit deeper than the well, so I went around the perimeter with a socket extender and the Weenie Hammer (TM) to set it flush.
IMG_2248.JPG
Backing plate and shims in place, i went every other nut around the axle, giving a turn with the socket wrench, and snugged up the nuts. The axle turns freely, with no perceptible end play. Noice!

But, Oh Noes - the new cylinder fits fine, but the shoes are 2.5" wide (police car?!?), not 2". They're the wrong size - back to the eBay store from which I bought them. A perfect excuse for a Power Nap.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The right brakes haven't arrived yet - so, back to the salt mines. I still hadn't brushed the area above the rear axle, that I saved for today - and all around the rear spring brackets.

IMG_2269.JPG
IMG_2272.JPG

Everything rear of the transmission core is now brushed, with the exception of between the frame and the rockers. Some remains to be osphoed, and everything except for the trunk area needs painting. As I slide down the bannister of life, I will always remember this job as a splinter in my *ss...

...But, it's getting there. Just ask the old man.

IMG_2273.JPG
Safety first! Wear your goggles