Colorado Belvedere Convertible progressing

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Colorado Belvedere Convertible progressing

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Thanks Dick and Roger for the kind comments, yes it was like Christmas for me the last two days in getting it up and running and presentable. I will be doing a much cruising in the next couple of months till the weather turns on us. Colorado as many states are, is really stunning in the fall with the turning of the Aspen and all, So I can't wait. The Disc brake conversion has worked well and am pleased with this conversion.

Roger, On the AC part, the 413 RB (1960 vintage) had originally been equipped with a Mopar dealer installed "Cool Aire by Mopar" AC compressor and outlet box and the enigine brackets you see here on the motor. I put it back together again to have AC back on it. I scored a couple years ago on E-Bay, the correct used Mopar AC under dash/ Floor mount Unit. We had talked about Dealer installed and after market AC in a tech thread previously.

I have not had time to have the AC hooked up but it will go with my "non-day one " look of what an owner would do after 6 mos. to two years after getting a 59. Some would have decided to get the AC when it was not ordered from the factory originally others would have saved their money and bought it later on as the heat would get to them. That is what I am doing. I have not mounted the AC unit that will go on the inside hump tunnel till I can get to an AC shop later on this year.

It is so hard to find the original factory installed AC stuff, I thought this would be what an owner would do later on in ownership.

I have a big grin today as my ship has come in and docked!! :wink:

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Please don't be the apologist, I think what you are doing is fabulous! I only asked because I ddin't see the "yet to be installed" aftermarket underdash blower.
While I have realised I am not a "convertible" person, instead wanting a bit of "privacy" as I drive, I still admire the cvts, and those foks who DO enjoy driving them.
Last edited by rogerh on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

I am waiting to ride in the Quinn's Belvedere I have a superstition about riding in the vehicle before Pam drives her, Strange I know, I have some interesting stories. I am excited to finally see the project become a beautiful operational and safe unit.
A cruise to Glenwood Springs in the fall would be one of the best I could think of. An overnight stay at the hot springs and scenic mountain aspen cruise top down of course if possible.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - Maybe I missed it in the discussion but what is that gauge on the left corner of the dash?
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Roger no worries at all.

Dick, you have sharp eyes! That is a Altimeter! It was an Brand new Air Guide unit I found on E bay last year, seaching for an Air Guide Compass. It was New in the Box unit that is perfect little piece of accessories that someone in Colorado would buy and use when driving in the mountains. Neat thing is that it did not require any new holes to be made as it fits on one of the "A Piller" trim screws locations.

The altimeter functions a little different then an aircraft version, as there is no "Kollsman Window" to set current local barometric pressure, so you have to set it for your actual field elevation of your house and then it is manually calibrated for a short time for any trips in the hills of Colorado.

Can't shoot instrument approaches ( :lol: ) with it but it is a fun little item to have when you live near the Mountain's . My buddy who has the De Soto convert wants one since he has mountain home and thought it would be a neat aftermarket option for him to have without it being permanently mounted with a new hole in the dash.

A lot of people at the show yesterday were interested in it too and never new that a device was made for cars. I will take a close up picture of it later. The car is still in the trailer parked a few miles away but I will retrieve it this AM since neighbors and Rick Clapham have not driven it yet, I have 10 mins. in the car myself, so I get some more driver time logged too. But only nearby streets as I need to finish the license plate part this week. But a sneak a few laps around the subdivision.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

John,

Your car looks great, congratulations! And it sits at "just the right height."

Bernie
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Thanks Bernie! We had last week lowered the front end an inch because we thought it was riding to high, even with a big block in it. Just adjusted the torsion bar bolts till we got to the right height.

Coming from a long term Convert owner that means a lot!

John Q.
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dick Koch wrote:John - Maybe I missed it in the discussion but what is that gauge on the left corner of the dash?
Dick.
I took a close up of the Altimeter that eagle eye Dick Koch spotted. I am not into fuzzy dice but thought this is a neat item to have installed that is unique to Colorado or other mountain area's in th US.

The other picture is of the Cool Aire Mopar dealer AC unit. I just kinda laid it on the tunnel for the look of it. I will have to re-paint the outside shell a bit and fashion some drive shaft tunnel mounting brackets but the location is pretty close.

I did drive the car for about 45 mins today as different neighbors around and even gave my wife Pam a ride, She liked it, but wanted the seat belts installed soon!

John Q.
100_4501.JPG
Altimeter
100_4500.JPG
Dealer installed AC system
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Denver 59 Fin Convert

some how duplicated the posting above. I have no idea how I did that...
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Have zip ties will travel.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

RICKYMOPAR wrote:Have zip ties will travel.
Great! When will you arrive in Brussels?
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
big m

Post by big m »

Congratulations on getting your car on the road, John!!

Must say, she looks wonderful!

---John
In rust we trust!
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

I was lost in Brussels.. So I zip-tied up all the loose wires and left.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Thanks John F. I am exited to have it drivable. There are a lot of paint faults and small dents that did not get taken care of before the paint went on but that can wait for a bit to fix up. Just want to enjoy the late summer and fall months and we will continue fine tuning the details of the car over the winter. :D

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Deb my wife and I went for a drive with John and Pam. Wow I am imperssed, in the short drive we saw the police twice.But when the go pedal went down, crisp firm shifts and accelleration like a bowling ball decending an elevator shaft. Look out Carlisle here come the Frau. :o