Inherited 59 Fury, need a title.

bustionironi

Inherited 59 Fury, need a title.

Post by bustionironi »

Hey everyone,

I inherited a 1959 plymouth fury 2 door from my father that passed away. It did not come with a title. He purchased the car from the original owner abour 30 or 40 years ago. How can I get a title for this vehicle? I'm not sure if I will be selling it or keeping it. The only paperwork I have is the owners manual. By the way I live in Albuquerque, NM which is in the USA.

Ted
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Inherited 59 Fury, need a title.

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Ted, Each state is different, but you can get a bonded title for your car after an inspection of the car by a law enforcement official and then a surety bond to protect you from any claims of ownership. Your local DMV should have info on how to do this.
Go to your local DMV and get a request for a VIN search. In Colorado, it cost $6 to do this. This will show if the Title is still on the rolls or not.
Was the original owner (or seller 30 years ago) from "the Land of Enchantment" too? The title would have been purged years ago from the state DMV rolls with no registration done on the car.
There are companies that will do this for you, They advertise in Hemmings and Mopar Classified guide. One company comes to mind is :International Title Sevices, out of Las Vegas, Nevada (www.its-titles.com) will get you one after some documents are provided and fees paid. Approx 300 dollars I believe.
Maybe others have other methods to obtain a title. Or I could come down from Denver with $500 and just pick up the vehicle from you so you don't have to worry about it anymore. :lol:

Post some pictures of the car, We would love to see it. :D

John Q
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Denver 59 Fin Convert

ps Bugs Bunny always liked the phrase " Alburquerque" in his cartoons :lol:

John Q
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

bustionironi

Post by bustionironi »

Thanks for the help John Q. The vehicle was purchased in Albuquerque, NM by a man who lived in Las Vegas, NM (same little town my father lived in). It was restored about 20 or 30 years ago, then sat for a while. My dad was working on it before he died. It is down to the bare metal so I have it in my garage right now. I would like to get a title so I can start working on it or get rid of it, it's been taking up a spot in my garage for over a year now.

When I talked to the MVD the lady acted like she didn't know what to do. So to be clear the things I need to do are...

1. Get a request for a vin search.
2. Contact a company like International Title Search to get a bonded title?
3. Register the car in my name?
4. Fix it up and bring my girls to get ice cream from Sonic every Sunday after church?

Thx Ted
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Ted, "Now your are cooking with Diesel! "

Yes, if you are having problems with your local DMV then go to the International Title Services link and download the form. I believe they need a Police or Deputy Sheriff VIN verfication, Some Bill of Sale note, (make one up if you don't have one, but you did not hear that from me) Since it is an in the family transfer it should not be a problem.

And if you are ever needing any help with your restorations or in locating needed parts, we have a lot of experts in the forum to help you out. Just ask and you will get lots of advice.

And by all means, take the kids to Sonic when you are done with it and treat them to a shake and a cool ride in Grandpa's old 59!! :D

Looking forward to assisting you if you want and hearing more about your 59.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

bustionironi

Post by bustionironi »

Where is the VIN located? I checked the usual places but found nothing...

Ted
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Ted, On Hardtops, (sedans,club coupes too!)The VIN plate is on the drivers side hinge jamb, There should also be a P & T (Paint and Trim) rectangular tag on the upper Cowl passenger side. On later cars 60's 70's and 80's they are called Fender tags.

All 59's start with the letter M and the next digit is either a one or a two (6 cylinder or V8) the 3rd character is the trim/Price class level: 2 for Savoy, 3 for Belvedere (most coveted! LOL) 6 for Fury and 9 for Sport Fury, 7 for Suburban SW.

4th charter is for which plant it was assembled at. 6 for Detroit, 3 for Evansville, IN, 4 for the LA plant and 5 for Newark , NJ plant. The rest of the vin 6 digits is that plants sequential production number, All plants started at 100001

hope I did that right....

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I missed this thread when it first came out...
Here in WA, , you'd go to the local DMV, and apply for a Lost Title.
You get a temporary title after an officer inspects the car and enters the VIN number into the stolen cars search. I believe after one year passes, if nobody comes forward to claim the car, the new title gets issued in your name.
Car auctions deal with this all the time. They acquire cars which have been abandoned for a wide range of reasons. They want to turn around and re-sell them ASAP...I think they follow the routine I described.