Tunes!

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

Tunes!

Post by Faulkner »

I finally got around to wiring up my recently-repaired radio, on the carpet floor -- it does indeed work! So we'll have tunes for Carlisle!

I think I'll try to patch in an audio jack to the input of the audio amplifier, so we can take the iPod with Fifties tunes. If I'm successful, I'll post a pic of what I did, and where...

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Re: Tunes!

Post by rogerh »

"recently repaired"...what did you have done? New tubes and a tuning?

Wishing to stay totally authentic with this car, I had my radio cleaned, some new tubes installed, etc by Frank Worsham. He added a switch and jack so I could connect a portable CD player (remember those?) Frank did a fantastic job, however the weak point in the whole system was the original amplifier (tube) just could not generate many watts. We are all accustomed to more watts these days. I could not hear the music above the wind and road noise.
So last fall I spent $400 on a RadioConversion by RadioRoy. This conversion radio has 2 channels w/fader control, all modern transistor circuitry, AM, FM stereo, and input jacks for iPod or MP3 (neither of which I own!), all inside the original radio. I chose the 2 speaker version rather than the 4 speaker option, because it is already a challenge to locate a rear speaker in a convertible!
Frustratingly, I have NOT had the chance to install/test this radio. First I need to figure out how to wire up the firewall fan. After that, I need to troubleshoot the tiny vacuum tube controls so that each flap opens and closes when it is supposed to. When all that is squared away, THEN I can install the radio..........Matthew, are you available? (Sorry, stealing Dan's joke...)
roger
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:"recently repaired"...what did you have done? New tubes and a tuning?
I took it to a local radio shop, Roger -- it had a bad coil, that's all.

Hmmmm.... I had a chat with Frank a couple of Carlisle's ago, and I was going to do what I suspect he did with your radio. So you say it doesn't produce much volume? Maybe I don't want to go down this path...

I see they make mini-AM transmitters, into which you can plug an iPod. Perhaps I should investigate that, rather than risk damage to my now-working radio.

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Well, Lookee here... Could put this in the trunk or under the seat -- operates on 12 volts, too:

http://www.hobbytron.com/R-AM-1.html

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

The original amplifier is still the weakest link, Dan. You simply can't get the volume you desire, out of one 5x7 (or is it 6x9) dashmount speaker.
I have no doubt there are other ways to get an iPod to play loud enough in your car...