The roof goes on

Your banter here!
Faulkner

The roof goes on

Post by Faulkner »

Disaster struck -- in a classic battle between Winter and Spring, icy sleet turned to snow and dumped six inches of ice and hard-packed snow in my garage. And I had a lumber delivery lined up, and a carpenter coming...

Fortunately, I had the good sense to lay down tarps. I was out there 6am this morning, shoveling -- by the time the carpenter arrived to help unload the truck, the snow was in garbage-can-size snow men, lining the alley! And now the carpenter is going to town... Says he may even lay some plywood today!

Dan
0316071743.jpg
0317070742.jpg
0317071259.jpg
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The roof should be completed early this week -- h*ll, it's almost done now! Then for the vinyl deck, then the mason comes back to put on the cap, then the garage door and alley door goes in, then the steps to the deck and the deck fence goes in, then....

Faulkner comes home to stay!!!
img_3310.jpg
img_3309.jpg
Last edited by Faulkner on Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

then ... the bar for party is missing and a pool table perhaps - where have you been with your thoughts? :lol:

Meanwhile in Portugal:

sunny with temperature around 22º C. (very warm - whatever this is in Fahrenheit) - The perfect time to go skiing - water skiing :D
100_2562.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The plywood is all down... If the weather can stay dry long enough, the roofer will come out next week and glue the vinyl decking material down. But the block has to be good and dry -- the contact cement they use when they wrap the vinyl up the wall, won't stick to wet block (although the latex cement for the plywood is fine). Here's some pix, with Bailey enjoying his new habitat... You can see I have to move some cable television wires, too.

Meanwhile, the garage door is a bit of a mess. The floor isn't level, so a strip of cedar needs to be fixed to the bottom panel. And the side boards need to be replaced with non-pressure treated (it will corrode the metal rails, I'm told); and they need to go all the way up, and tie into the rafters. Furthermore, because they used extra-heavy angle iron for the header (it's a 12 foot garage door, doncha know!), the block sticks out further than it should on the inside, and needs to be ground down...

Well, no project is without its travails, and I've had my share of 'em. But we're getting there!

Dan
0324071116.jpg
"Don't pee there, Bailey! That's a good boy..."
0324071115.jpg
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Dan - 12' door?? Is that 12 foot high? In one of your pictures I counted 14 courses of block. That should be plenty high for a car lift :) . I'm still thinking of getting one but the hard part is deciding who to buy it from. Backyard Buddy wants $5200 for a 4-post with a few accessories and other companies are around $1500 to $2400 for a 4-post. In BYB advertising, they show competitors lifts collapsing. That wouldn't be good. I think I will inquire on the FWDLK site for opinions.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

How strange Dan. Out here we are REQUIRED to used galvanized nails, straps, and bolts when contacting trstrf lumber.
A 12' high door?! What are you gonna do, park a moving van in there? Seems like a lot of wasted space-
If you go with an 8' foot door now, you' have to fill inthe upper area with studs and siding or windows, but you'd solve the prodruding block problem.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Oops -- Sorry, guys, for not being clear. The garage door is 12' WIDE (to allow the cruiser to turn into the garage half-sideways from the alley. It would never make it through an 8' door. And the door is 7' high.

I was thinking about using four garage door openers for a lift from the ceiling, what do you think? :lol:
Roger wrote:How strange Dan. Out here we are REQUIRED to used galvanized nails, straps, and bolts when contacting trstrf lumber.
Yes -- but the side rails of the garage door are steel, and get bolted right to the framing, which right now is PT. According to my garage guy, the rails will corrode unless I replace with untreated wood.

It's a beautiful day here in Philly! Now to get to work, filling the seams with floor leveler...

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Sounds like a Catch-22 situation... so your raw steel rails won't rust, but the untreated wood at the block wall will eventually rot. Is there a Plan C?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:Sounds like a Catch-22 situation... so your raw steel rails won't rust, but the untreated wood at the block wall will eventually rot. Is there a Plan C?
I painted the face of the untreated wood with a good coat of oil base primer. It should last the rest of my days...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

the overhead door tracks simply HAVE to be galvanized..nobody does anything other. So you are getting it done.
My roof is leaking,,the headaches are coming steadily
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Faulkner wrote:Here's some pix, with Bailey enjoying his new habitat... Well, no project is without its travails, and I've had my share of 'em. But we're getting there!

Dan
Bailey sure looks happy :D But he'll be happy when the garage is finished and you will have time again for long walks with him (through the alley to admire your garage!)

You certainly had your share of problems but it starts to look like a real nice garage. You have seen mine so you know why I envy you.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks Ron! You and Matthew and Stefan and me sitting out there, sipping mint juleps this summer, while the women folk are out shopping. Ain't life grand! (Oh right -- forgot. Matthew will be in the garage, under Faulkner.)

Here's a couple more pix -- we're waterproof now (or, as we say in Fildelfya, "wooderproof"...) 8)

Dan
IMG_3318.JPG
IMG_3317.JPG
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Looking good Dan - I'm jealous, one question, I don't see any drains on that roof. splain me!
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote:Looking good Dan - I'm jealous, one question, I don't see any drains on that roof. splain me!
Dick.
I'm counting heavily on evaporation, Dick.

:D

There's a scupper through the wall just to the left of the bay window. (There's a couple "crickets" in the sloping roof to direct water to it.) I still have to tie it into the drain, but at least the water won't stay.

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: There's a scupper through the wall just to the left of the bay window. (There's a couple "crickets" in the sloping roof to direct water to it.) I still have to tie it into the drain, but at least the water won't stay.
Dan
I realize you can see the hole for the scupper in this post, the second pic...

http://59sportfury.net/59forum/viewtopi ... =4427#4427