Fuel tank sending unit

Looking for something? Post it here!
batmobile

Fuel tank sending unit

Post by batmobile »

i'm currently restoring my fuel tank. i have it sand blasted and most of the cancer cut out and patch panels ready to weld on. i have just a little body work left to do (sagged and buckled in the center) before i can seal it up. but i'm getting there. the sending unit i took out is way beyond repair. the winding fell out of one of the holes at the top.
what size did the 361s have? did they still have the 5/16 diameter fuel line?. i would like new, but the one on ebay for $90 is a little steap for my taste.
what paint should i use? not sure if i want to go rattle can rustoleom silver, or the zinc silver paint (gas tank specific) in my eastwood catalog, or just spray it with my gun to get a good healthy coat of silver on it.
i am also not sure how to reattach the filler tube, it came off w/ the vent thing sitting vertically, but one would think it would work better if that was on top (horizontal). the tank was coated in wd40 and set aside, gotta do a engine rebuild on a 97 f-150 (gots to make money for "save the plymouth fund" ;) ) --j
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Jeremy,

The diameter of the fuel line for the 361 is the same as for the 318 or the slant 6. If it’s possible to restore your fuel sending unit, then you need a 0.003“ resistance wire a big magnifying glass and dammed calm hands. I did this job a couple of weeks ago and I had to rewire it several times to meet the same resistance as the fuel indicator mounted in the dash cluster. I couldn’t buy the 90$ unit on e-bay because my gas tank is not original but after the work I had with rewiring, I strongly recommend you to go for it.

About the filler tube: As far as I remember Roger posted some pictures some time ago. The vent hole was on the top.

Stefan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Jeremy - The gas tank filler tube has an O ring on the bottom where it fits into the tank. I got mine from Frank Mitchell in Georgia. Also make sure the vent pieces inside the tube are in the up position. Even then it doesn't help much and you get a lot of spill over. I will e-mail Mitchel e-bay store to you seperately.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

when i removed the filler neck it appeared to be soldered at the base. perhaps tank had been out prior to my knowledge?. also what about the rubber flap inside of the filler door that goes around the tube, i hope there is a repop? i accidentally tore mine pulling it off. :( what about the paint issue, what have ya'll used, pleased/ not pleased w/ the results.
i ordered some lead from eastwood yesterday, so i can smooth the remaining dimples. can't wait to finish the tank - will seem like a sign of progress. :lol: . i hope it turns out good. i wish i had more time before tulsarama. :roll: i am almost to the point of giving up hope of even having the frame and drivetrain ready by then, let alone the car. :cry: well see how well it goes..... thanx for the advice dick and stefan- i want my mopar to be the best that i can make it. btw, found another mopar nut here locally. he is into 60's iron, but he's got a couple of motors. a smog 360 basket case and a "running" '69 318 in a plymouth scamp- he offerd to let me listen to it run, but i'll take his word on it. he is upgrading to a 440. the price on the 318 is $200, i think i may offer $250 for both, never know when i'll need another engine. no luck on a 5-speed tranny as of yet, maybe i will have luck soon. i may check out the local pull a part sunday when i'm in OKC at the gun show buying more toys :wink: . will talk to everyone soon --j
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Jeremy - Goop it, The torn filler tube flap can be put back together with Goop, It' the mostest wonderfulest stuff I have it my arsenal. They make automotive Goop, Marine Goop, All purpose Goop, it's all the same. It's really good stuff. I even use it to repair my car covers when they get a rip in them, once it's together it's together. As far as painting the Gas tank I don't know what the factory did, the tank on my Green car is black but that tank has been out, cleaned and resealed. I worked for a Ocean Freight shipping Company for 22 years and our primary paint used to protect metal, superstructures, decks, deck machinery was cold galvanizing zinc paint (salt atmoshere) that's what I am going to use on my red cars tank (if I ever get back to it, I know your frustration) and then paint it black. I have seen the Goop and Paint at Home Depot or any marine store. Keep us posted on your progress.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

the fuel tanks were zinc-plated steel..giving it a dull silver finish.
Eastwood sells a zinc spray, but think you might be okay with your locally available cold galvanizing spray rattle cans. I'd orient the vent "up". The filler tube fits into the tank using a rubber "O" ring. The rubber boot at the top,,,dont know if Gary Goers makes them, as I am not at home right now to check the catalog.
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

is it a special o ring or just a run of the mill one? i will check on that cold galvanizing spray, i don't remember ever seeing any before, i will check wal mart, maybe we sell it at oreillys, i will have to check. - not sure if i still have all the pieces for that flap, i think i do, 1 or 2 chunks tore off.
-i was suprised when i removed the tank, the underside of the trunk pan looked brand new (shiny grey paint). u could even clearly read the manf. stamp on the top of the tank! i guess that tar paper protected it better than i thought i would. - i need to buy a digital camera and a new printer. hope i can get some pics before i seal the tank up (with the holes i cut still visible) so i can give a before and after. well somewhat before, wish i took a picture of the tank when i took it out, it was rough. it took a while just cleaning the rust off. well thanks for the info, keep it coming. :) --jeremy
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

FWIW, whenever I remove a gas tank I clean off the loose rust with a wire brush, wipe it down with lacquer thinner, and apply a couple coats of POR-15. Before second coat completely dries, (still tacky) I spray paint it. That tank will look like new for years. You can even seal pin holes by applying one coat of POR, then apply a layer of fiberglass cloth, then another coat of POR-15. One tank I had, I counted 13 pinholes and this method did the trick.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Speaking on sending units... I just pulled my tank and completed my POR-15 cleaning and sealing as it had some major "gunk" in it from sitting so long. Luckily, NO rust/pinholes on it tho! Here's my delima (and yes, I've emailed John but haven't got a reply yet)... I somehow misplaced my sending unit retaining ring which was WITH all my O-rings and drain petcock so I don't know how this happened but now, I can't put my tank back in until I find one... I've scoured the internet to no avail so if anyone has an extra one or knows where I can get one, PLEASE gimme a holler as I really want to try to keep moving on this... Oh, I asked John for a core support too... FINGERS CROSSED!

On a side note, how's ur sending unit search and tank repair going batmobile???
Last edited by Zeus on Fri May 04, 2007 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary "Zeus" Smith
Four Oaks, NC
'59 Plymouth Savoy
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

a drain petcock? That is an after-market item. for sure.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Yeah, I figured it might be but it appears "factory". Although, I'm not sure why anyone would do it. I bought the car in 1987 from an old lady and the car was sitting for years (husband died). It even still had Seiberling bias ply tires still on it and I didn't have the petcock put in... I knew YOU all would know if it was factory or not! Thanks Roger...
Gary "Zeus" Smith
Four Oaks, NC
'59 Plymouth Savoy
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

tank project has been setting stagnant for a while. i have been busy. my workshop keeps flooding so i am having to do some renovation/ upgrades so i can work in it. it is almost empty at the moment. gonna leave my gas tank and any related tools and maybe get it patched up this week. was gonna do it last week but i pulled a back muscle mowing. we have been getting tons of rain here so the grass is super thick. i did find some cold galvanizing spray at wal mart, it was like 2 or 3 bucks, not too bad. i will get a sending unit from john. i also bought a 360 and 340/727 torq a little while ago, picking them up this afternoon. the latter is a deadman's drive train (so i'm told), came out of a wrecked '69 dart that got t-boned on pass side. sorry i haven't been around lately, been super busy and the past week my comp has been down. this thing is not even 90 days old yet, but the modem has already craped out! bought an external one, that's what i'm using now. guess that's what u get with wal mart fall-apart.--j