fitting a 440

Got a question? This is the place to ask
matty

Post by matty »

Ok this is were im at, i have the motor now and a box both items are from a mid 70s cordoba, i also have the rear axle from the same car body .
The axle looks like it may fit very easily, i have noticed that b body rear springs will mount with not too much bother i think?
My problem is parking brake?
Prop shaft?
I was going to use some sort of header on my engine, it does appear that the chassis could get in the way to some degree, all this is a way off yet as i need to get some funds together for the engine build but all information will help me one way or another. :)
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

what is ur problem w/ the parking brake? doesn't the newer rearend have an integrated p/ brake? i will have to do the same conversion to mine, i don't think it's gonna be too hard, just fab up so mounts on the undercarriage for the cable to go and hook it up to the '59 handle. -- not sure about the length of ur driveline but u probably will have to have one made. - what size is ur fuel line? if it is the common 5/16 u will want to upgrade to 3/8" to be able to fead that large motor. --j
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
matty

Post by matty »

I have no problem with any of this really i am just feeling around to get good advice as i have not tackled anything like this before. I do understand the project i just want a clear vision of the way forward, i want to improve the car not dammage it if you see what i mean?
I am building this as a street strip car so i want the car to handle as well as move. :D
safetymike1977

More info

Post by safetymike1977 »

Yes... do the parking brake on the rearend, although... if the trans is from a mid 70's cordoba, you will have the parking pin built in, but you will have to make an adaptor to use the push buttons. There is a thread on how to do that on the forwardlook site. Otherwise, you will have to do a floor shifter. If you do that, it doesn't much matter, because you will be able to use the park function of the trans. You will have to custom make a driveshaft. To save you a little money, get one from a car and have a new tube put in, or the existing tube shortened depending on what you have to do once you get it all together. K... Next questions?
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Just another suggestion...

I was able to determine the driveshaft length from my car with a 1976 Volare 318 to the 1976 Volare 323 positraction rear and then search the yards/literature for a shaft that is already the correct length.

In my case a late 1960's Road Runner Drive shaft was the perfect length and not too pricey.

On the emergency brake - it was suggested to me that I may need a dump truck cable for my car since most car emergency cables were too short. So I don't have an Emergency Brake at this time.

Curt in Ellicott City, MD
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
safetymike1977

Post by safetymike1977 »

Well, you could use wire rope rigging to make your own cable to match up with the stock cable from the rear of whatever car you got your rearend from in the back...