Side trim install

Got a question? This is the place to ask
batmobile

Side trim install

Post by batmobile »

As i'm sure ya'll know that the side trim is attached by the thin wire clips, and pushes through the holes in the car body. what is supposed to keep water from going behind the trim and depositing itself in the interior of the vehicle? is this also y so many of the trunks r rusted out? i'm thinking of maybe taking double sided tape to the back side of the trim as to keep the water out and reduce rattling. what has eveyone else done with their trim? --j
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

They used clips with a rubber over it so when you push the clip in the hole the rubber is pushed against the paint and keep all the water out
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

:? hmmmm, guess mine have long since rotted away Matt. does they also keep the trim from rattling? are they on every clip or just the ones that go into interior compartments? can u find new ones? what exactly do they look like? i would think it would be hard to 100% seal the way the clips r designed with the 2 prongs and all.-- jeremy
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

What I do is take Plumbers Dum Dum which is a kind of soft putty that never really hardens and form it and push it around the wires protruding through the holes. Also, where there is a nut with the putty inside I add a little Dum Dum before screwing it on the clip. Works for me.
Dick Koch
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

that's a good idea. i'm familiar w/ plumber's putty. i might just use it when i reach that point. thanx dick -- jeremy