1959 Fury Steering Wheel

Looking for something? Post it here!
builder

1959 Fury Steering Wheel

Post by builder »

I think I may have posted this in the wrong place the first time. Sorry. Senility is my only excuse.

I have a friend that needs a steering wheel for a 1959 Fury. It's the one with the clear grip on top and the padded grips on either side. His is cracked up and sun-damaged. I offered to repair it (no, it wouldn't end up with CLEAR grips) for him but he doesn't have any other wheel so it would disable the car for longer than it can happen.

I'm thinking that I need to find another wheel that's either in good shape or one that can be refurbished, get it done for him, and then send it off as a gift. He's a great guy who often helps people out of his own pocket, so he's worth treating well.

Alternatively, if I got a wheel that is junk or just cheap enough that would fit his car I could get his and re-do it without disabling the car.

Anyone out there have such a thing or could help out?
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Ive seen steering wheels on ebay from time to time,and there may be someone on here that may have one around!

Bob
Faulkner

Re: 1959 Fury Steering Wheel

Post by Faulkner »

builder wrote:I have a friend that needs a steering wheel for a 1959 Fury. It's the one with the clear grip on top and the padded grips on either side. His is cracked up and sun-damaged. I offered to repair it (no, it wouldn't end up with CLEAR grips) for him but he doesn't have any other wheel so it would disable the car for longer than it can happen.

I'm thinking that I need to find another wheel that's either in good shape or one that can be refurbished, get it done for him, and then send it off as a gift. He's a great guy who often helps people out of his own pocket, so he's worth treating well.

Alternatively, if I got a wheel that is junk or just cheap enough that would fit his car I could get his and re-do it without disabling the car.

Anyone out there have such a thing or could help out?
You might consider picking up a stock (non-SF) Plymouth wheel to put on the car temporarily while you get the wheel rebuilt. Perhaps "Big M" could help you out with that -- but at least one of our members (Ron Keij) had his steering wheel rebuilt. I'm sure he can provide you with the details. It ain't cheap!

Does your friend know about our website? Please have him contact us -- we'd love to see pix of his car!

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

I had my steering wheel recasted in 2004 and I am still very satisfied with the result. It did cost a lot of money but it was well worth it. Most of the money was spent on our trip to Colorado Springs to pick it up :lol: BTW I bought a steering wheel to have it restored and sold my own steering wheel when it was done.

For details you can look at another thread on this forum http://59sportfury.net/59forum/viewtopic.php?t=44

If Big M doesn't have a steering wheel for you, maybe you should try http://www.fremansauto.com/ he is supposed to have 17 1959 Plymouth's for parts.

Ron

P.S. Please show us some pictures of your friends car!
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

if u want, i've got a base model steering wheel (cracked) that is extra w/o horn ring, i will have to remove from steering column. send it to ya free minus shipping. let me know--jeremy
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

you are very mysterious...good luck finding what you need!
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

I just got off the phone with Mr Dalinis in Bloomington Illinois tonight. He posted an ad in a national Plymouth magazine listing two 1959 Plymouths that he is parting out.

Good news is that one is a Sports Fury with the steering wheel (all cracked and missing plastic). He says he needs $25 for the steering wheel.

I would not hesitate calling him at (815) 476-2292.

Curt in Ellicott City, MD
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
builder

Post by builder »

Thank you, gentlemen. I want to compliment you on a well-run forum with lots of quality information and posts. I also want to say that you have been very helpful and courteous and that's something we're all too short of these days. It's obvious that you are serious people and interested in actually building some interesting cars.
I use another site that may be of interest. Lots of tech articles (3400 pages) about a variety of subjects - some of them MOPAR. A decent generalized forum. It's free. They have a bunch of articles on early Dodge hemis for example, but obviously it doesn't specialize in these great Plymouths - how can you NOT love these cars? I almost forgot just how cool they are and I grew up with them.
http://www.webrodder.com/ I hope it is helpful to you.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

How does one navigate this site you mention?
builder

Post by builder »

Not sure what you mean, but it has a row of navigation buttons across the top area including the one for Tech Articles. Hit it and there's a list of Categories. You can pick a category or type in a search word to get to each article. I just did it for Hemi and got this: http://www.webrodder.com/index.php?sear ... howStories
Then I selected an article on Dodge Hemi valvetrain on page two of the listings for Hemi: http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=171&SID=60
You can read them there on the site but they require a small payment for printed hard copies that they snail-mail to you.
It's all drag and drop stuff. Just play with it a little and you'll get it. It only took me a couple minutes to sort it out.