radiator hose replacement

Got a question? This is the place to ask
eroomas

radiator hose replacement

Post by eroomas »

I recently replace my bottom radiator hose. I've been having trouble getting it so seal. I removed what was left of the old hose. put the old clamps on the new hose reconnected the two ends, tightened down as had as I could. Thought all was good till after driving the car I heard fizzing coming from the engine compartment. The bottom seal was leaking. let it cool off. loosened the clamp moved it around a little and tightened it back down, thought I had the problem solved drove the car about 60 miles. parked her, no hissing sound thought I was good. The next day I find antifreeze all over the floor. How hard is it to change out a radiator hose for Christs sake. WTF am I missing? do I need to replace the clamps? is there some kind of sealant I need to coat the hose or knobs with? I appreciate any help or advise. thanks in advance
Mark Merritt

Re: radiator hose replacement

Post by Mark Merritt »

ALL I can say is make sure the surface is clean, no dents or deformity and the hose fits snug not over size or too big. I like wire clamps if I can find them as opposed to band type. Are you sure it is not leaking out the radiator neck/brazed joint? It may look like the hose but may have A small hair line crack at the seam. Seems to leak under pressure when it gets warm. Do you have the correct pressure radiator cap? I think it is 7 or 12 lbs. Temp gauge is working and the engine is not over heating? Old clamps may not torque tight enough if they are rusty as well. They will "feel" tight but are still loose. Just my thoughts, let us know more what you find. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

It's better to use new clamps with a new hose, gasket maker or sealant is acceptable and required often. Make sure the weep hole on water pump is not weeping. Pressure test your system and check. Keep up the good work. Rick
eroomas

Post by eroomas »

Thanks Rick, thats helpful.