Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Matthew Keij

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Matthew Keij »

You are making some good progress!!
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Getting there Matthew! Day by day... I have one more day off, then back to work for two days before the Fourth of July. I hope to tackle the door handles and locks tomorrow.

I installed Vincent Van Humbeeck's power switch housings today. Along with my rebuilt switches, they worked like a charm! Also installed the weatherstrip rails for the top of the windows, and the console arm rest. Nibbling away at it...

IMG_9902.jpg
This housing in particular was fried
IMG_9899.jpg
IMG_9901.jpg
I had read that someone had to trim the housings a bit to get the wires to fit. I had no such problem - it was so much easier than I thought!
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Handles are on, and locks are in! I fretted that this might be difficult - and, indeed it was. But a little caulk on the nuts kept them in the socket while I threaded a thin extender through the gaps with a swivel adapter, and when I felt the nuts snug up I knew I was in business. Also finished touching up the interior, it's ready to go after the trim goes on.

IMG_9904.jpg
IMG_9919.jpg

I guess I'm in a pretty good place, with Matthew coming to mastermind getting the trim on. Maybe I'll find time to drill the speaker holes and wire up the radio, one never knows.

(I don't expect any help from him with the skirts, though :roll: )
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Where do you want to drill the speaker holes?
Use the original location!
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Matthew, I'll be putting two rear speakers in at the proper locations on the package shelf, but the holes for the bolts don't align. Those are the holes that need to be drilled.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:48 am Matthew, I'll be putting two rear speakers in at the proper locations on the package shelf, but the holes for the bolts don't align. Those are the holes that need to be drilled.
The holes do align - I don't know what I was smoking when I concluded that I had to drill holes. I didn't have to drill the package shelf, just the holes through the foam-backed board with vinyl covering:

IMG_9943.jpg
IMG_9944.jpg
IMG_9945.jpg
IMG_9947.jpg

But man, was it hot in the garage today. And the screws were too short; even after picking up some longer ones, I struggled to get it all in place - but won out in the end. I crimped the connectors on and plugged them in, but no time left now to work on the front speaker; perhaps in the morning before Matthew arrives.

But I did take care of one other important thing:

IMG_9946.jpg

One can never have enough Yuengling timers*. Precision tools, for precision workmanship! And remember: Anything worth doing, is worth doing twice.

*Yuengling: The official timer of the '59 Plymouth Forum
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I had to drill some of the plastic surround on the front speaker to get it to fit on the speaker grille, but once I did, it bolted right in. All the speakers are in, and even the radio is now in - I just have to wire it all up. Fortunately, the rebuilt radio comes with a harness - once I make the connections, I just plug it in. And the clock is in too!

IMG_9959.JPG
counting the minutes until Matthew's arrival...
IMG_9961.JPG
He's here! And already he's inspecting Dick's craftmanship
IMG_9962.JPG
The trim starts to go on

But it's 97 in the garage, and Matthew is jet-lagged (to say nothing about his headache), so it's quits for the day.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:03 pm But it's 97 in the garage, and Matthew is jet-lagged (to say nothing about his headache), so it's quits for the day.
Or so I thought. When I woke up from my Power Nap (TM), Matthew was back at it in the garage. One side is completely done!

IMG_9965.jpg
IMG_9966.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Matthew is a Madman!! Virtually all of the trim is on now - the windshield and rear window being the exception (although he already started on the rear window). The grille is also in, and one bumper wing, just for show! We agree, we need to pull the bumper, hang the wings and reinstall with the bumper wing brackets in place. All in all, amazing progress.

Oh yeah! The radio is all wired up, and broadcasts are coming out of the speakers. Still figuring out how to use the controls for balance, fade, and "mode" (AM, FM, Bluetooth, etc.). A non-essential for Carlisle, though!

IMG_9975.jpg
IMG_9973.jpg
IMG_9974.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner is good to go for Carlisle! Er... except, for one small thing: The brake lights don't work. I'm guessing, they're not getting power from the headlight switch (that I replaced :oops: ) - because, the turn signals share the same filament, and they work. So, Ron Keij (who arrived today from the Netherlands) and I will investigate tomorrow. The switch is already hanging from the dash, time to pull out the voltmeter.

Kudos to Matthew, for completing the exterior trim, and reinstalling the interior! I wouldn't be going to Carlisle, if it weren't for him.
IMG_9985.jpg
The interior nears completion
IMG_9984.jpg
Yeah, it ain't original. So, sue me! It pays homage to the spirit of the '59 interior
IMG_9980.jpg
The Sterlings knew Faulkner as "The P" - this is a nod to them
IMG_9987.jpg
Ready to Rock 'n Roll!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Wow, he's so handsome. Can't wait to see the whole package at Carlisle. Kudos to you for the whole project and Matt for his help in bringing to the finish line.
Congratulations,
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
big m

Post by big m »

Nice to see Faulkner nearly all back together. Having Matthew there sure was a big help!!

Have fun at Carlisle!!

---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

It’s what I’m tawkin’ about.

Carlisle here we come!!

F3586245-6166-41B9-8CB4-F972A5A448AE.jpeg
0794F0F4-D1F3-4241-9CB0-57CED545A4F0.jpeg
8253A49E-404B-4332-B7B2-17816F24EA26.jpeg
895E303F-F73B-4ED2-A68D-12D1085B71DF.jpeg
5BA795DB-209B-4E1A-9D6D-F7593A039B2B.jpeg
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

George-eous. Can't wait to see in person.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan, Looks great !! Can't wait to see it. THE ELEPHANT HAS BEEN EATEN. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!