Rear brake help

Got a question? This is the place to ask
PlumGr8SRT8

Rear brake help

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Ok, so i did search and tried using the info available but had a difference/question. My rears, like my fronts, don't have studs/nuts to hold the wheels on. They have stud/bolts. The fronts were easy took them off, separated the hubs from the brakes nice and easy. Why you may ask? I saw some people posting looking for good stock drums, and as i am not going to use them figured i would remove them, leaving the spindles so i can keep it rolling and maybe make some money off the brakes/drums.

But, unlike some posts, my rear also have stud/bolts. I tried bolting the puller on to them, took off the axle nut sprayed it and heated it up, but no joy. Am i missing something silly? I actually did start to "spread" apart the end of the shaft as well, so not sure if its just REALLY rusted on there and i need a bunch more heat or what. So just asking for any other insight thanks
Faulkner

Re: Rear brake help

Post by Faulkner »

To keep the threaded end of the axle from spreading, loosely put the crown nut back on backwards. Did you back the shoes off all the way? Heat may help, but there's a reason there are anvils on those pullers - it takes some whacking to get them off.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Hmmmm my hub puller doesnt have an anvil to beat against. I rented it from Carquest and already messing up the threads. I did heat it up, maybe should do more?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

You need to get yourself a puller that looks like this:

2.jpg

Nothing else will do. You won't mess up the threads, if you put the crown nut back on the threads backwards, without tightening down.
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Yea i don't have that kind of puller, i have a similar one but not that exact one. Wonder if i just need more heat ?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I dunno. Some folks have had luck by putting the crown nut on loose, and driving fast around a corner - it occasionally pops off.

But I would ask around old shops, or tool rental companies. Or consider buying one - here's one on eBay.

For MoPar owners, it's an essential tool in your arsenal.
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

I got another puller also, going to try more heat and seec if she comes free. If not illl buy that one. Unless someone in Vegas has one 😊
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Actually, Ken Josephson is in Vegas - he has (or, had) three '59 wagons in various states of repair. I bet he has one. Do you have contact info for him? I can try to put you in touch.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Buy one of those pullers!!!!

Do not use heat. There are 2 seals, 1 in the axle behind the bearing and 1 on the backing plate. You don’t want to melt those
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

What Matthew said! And the other thing about putting the crown nut back on, backwards: Besides protecting the threads, it protects the family jewels when that drum comes flying off :lol:
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

All good points for sure. I am not too worried about the seals as the rear will need a complete overhaul and i am not using any of these brakes anyway.

I do not have his contact info. Feel free to pass mine along, would be great to meet some other people that are in the Vegas area.

Email is aaron.vogel69@gmail.com and cell is 2679703591.

Gonna give it another shot today, we will see how it goes haha
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I don't have a current email address for Ken, so I contacted him on Facebook. I asked if he had a puller, and if he did if he might be able to lend it.
Ken Josephson wrote:A friend broke mine working on his ‘61 Chrysler and I never replaced it.
(*sigh*...) Sorry. At any rate, if you're looking for fellow MoPar enthusiasts in Vegas, reach out to him on Facebook - "Kenneth Josephson".
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Will do, thanks for all the help
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Now I remember! You are going for discs, right?

Will told me about it. What parts are you going to replace?
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Yea thats the plan. Replacing everything from the axle out. Replacing every part of the drum setup with the disc. Not going to get to that for a while though. Also plan to rebuild the rear as it needs it anyway.