Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
william0431

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by william0431 »

Im glad to see Faulkner back at home with a little more progress done. I have had the worst luck with auto shippers, I shipped two of my cars from NC to CA and when they arrived my 61 Ford had some really bad door dings from where they had opened the door while it was on the car hauler and the doors hit the structure of the hauler :evil: ohh i was mad! the second time i tried to ship a car, haulers kept flaking on me so much and for so long i wound up just taking leave, bought a plane ticket and then rented a uhaul and trailer to get a car home. Hopefully your luck turns better with your shipper.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Martha? Did l miss something, tell us about Martha!
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick! You know about Martha:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=3296
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

It's not very balmy in the Faulkner garage - 45 degrees, really too cold to rustproof the door skins. I don't know if there will be a warm spell coming up, but I'll need a break in the weather before I can really finish preparations for taking Faulkner to the body shop.

...and I'll need my power steering pump back! It's been a month now. I'm starting to get ticked.

Meanwhile, I set to work on removing the door lock and handle from the passenger side. The clip that slides over the lock didn't want to budge, so I figured I'd concentrate on removing the handle, and maybe get to the clip once the handle was off. But unlike the driver's side - where there was enough room to get a socket on a 1/4" extender with a swivel adapter - there was no room on the passenger side between the outer door skin and the glass. So, I removed the two bolts that hold the rear track in place, and the glass moved to where I was able to make some room.

...and it's a good thing I did! I dropped the track and removed it - the glass channel whiskers are completely gone. I didn't realize there was glass channel here, it was completely invisible inside the door. Oh, well; I have to replace the vent channel on the leading edge anyway, I bought a pair from Goers years ago, and only got around to replacing the one on the drivers side. So I'll be ordering more channel (Bernbaum has it, ask me how I know (Martha!)). So, I guess I'll remove the passenger vent and replace the channel now. Can you say, mushroom factor?

IMG_8716.JPG
IMG_8718.JPG
IMG_8725.JPG

At least the handle is off! And through the hole in the door, I was able to give a couple sharp taps to the clip and budge it to remove the lock. All without Matthew being here! And, a factor of 4-5 times the effort and time to do it... :oops:
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Yay! You have 178 days left.

We did the drivers side vent window in 2006, I still remember that!
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Matthew Keij wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:13 pm You have 178 days left.
Matthew, if I get Faulkner's interior all put back together before Carlisle - X-Mat, carpet, windlace, seats, radio, etc. - could you help me that week with the trim? A week from today I plan to take the aluminum for reanodizing (except for the toilet seat trim - I love what Dick did with that).
william0431

Post by william0431 »

very interested in how your re-anodizing goes. 173 days ta go. Ya don't need trim to drive it to the show ;) just say'in lol! I am sure once all the pieces are shinny and new they will practically install them selves. And if Matthew is there giving a hand how could it not be show ready in time :D Looking forward to seeing it all together :D
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

william0431 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:58 am Looking forward to seeing it all together :D
Yeah. That will make two of us, Will :shock:
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I dropped the aluminum off on Monday for reanodizing - $350 for everything, I think that's a decent price. The power steering pump is done, and back on the car - but, I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. It's just too damn cold in the garage! And it's going down to 8 F this week...

Sometimes - occasionally, not often - I wish I lived in Florida. Usually, in the winter.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

COME ON DOWN!
DICK
william0431

Post by william0431 »

HA! Dan, Dick that sounds like pretty good idea! Seeing how I have received orders to the USS Iwo Jima, Home port Mayport FL (Jacksonville Fl area), Dick sounds like were practically gonna be neighbors! :D :D :D I will be heading that way in June, cant wait to experience a little bit of the Florida sun shine and if its ok with you Dick can I come down and see your beautiful cars in person some time?
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Absolutely, we can do some car shows.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Polar Vortex be damned. I saw the warm temps coming, and scheduled today off. And it hit 60 in the Faulkner garage today! I finished rustproofing the interior door skins, and the rear interior panels. I scraped the ancient caulk off the roof rails, and rustproofed the trunk weatherstrip channel. And I sprayed rustproofing in the trunk lid lip, because I always do everything Dick tells me to do.

I also cut and scraped out all the old trunk deck padding - I have replacements:

IMG_8862.JPG
IMG_8863.JPG

And I finally took Matthew's suggestion, and used a Dremel to cut grooves in the license plate light security screws so I could remove them with a flatblade screwdriver. Whoever painted Faulkner painted right over the lens; but, it cleaned up nice with a little hot soapy water and some fingernail action:

IMG_8865.JPG
IMG_8866.JPG
IMG_8867.JPG
IMG_8869.JPG

I don't want to fool with window channel after the car is painted, for fear of scratching it - so I've got to install that, and also a rear window whisker needs replacing. A few more odds and ends, and off to the body shop. I stopped by there today, and gave them a heads up - the owner suggested that they could make a "house call" to give me an estimate. I'll be scheduling that for my next day off.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Poor Faulkner, bout time he got some attention. He's really shaping up! Martha, like all females always demand attention, the hardest job you have is convincing her and yourself that she will have to wait before it's her turn at the beauty parlor.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Disaster strikes.

I've been so upset about this, I waited a day before posting. Yesterday, I went and picked up the aluminum from the reanodizer (Industrial Metal Plating, Reading PA). The inserts came out well enough, but you can still see the marks of where the stainless held it in place. I suppose if I line everything up perfectly when I put it back on, I can get by with this:

IMG_8935.JPG
IMG_8936.JPG

But the other pieces came out badly. While one headlight ring looks OK, the other looks far worse than when I dropped it off:

IMG_8937.JPG
IMG_8938.JPG
IMG_8939.JPG

And the grilles! There was some road tar on the one, it's still there! They reanodized it without even properly cleaning it first:

IMG_8944.JPG
IMG_8940.JPG
IMG_8941.JPG
fowlie.JPG

They are a mess. Compare to the last picture - that's one piece that came to me from John Fowlie. It was perfect when I got it, I would have done better to clean it up with a stiff brush (you can see the road tar in that pic too).

I'm duking it out right now with the company, asking for my money back. I don't know how that's going to go. But I'm reading that you can reanodize pieces that have been reanodized, so I'm going to give that a shot - I can't go with what I have.

John, I read on Forward Look where you had asked around, and folks recommended Bowers Manufacturing - did you give them a try, and were you pleased with the results? I have an inquiry in to them now.