Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Mark Merritt

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan; I know the feeling. When I got mine to body shop for paint it did stay inside, but I got a lot of yada yada as well. Body shop owner is A friend of my nephew and was always bugging me to paint the Plymouth. So at my nephews wedding we set the deal, Long story short it was weeks and then months of nothing. I would check up about every week (was supposed to be done in A month) stop in and touch base. My car was turning into A garbage can, taco bell wrappers,coffee cups,used sand paper,bondo lids/cans,body part boxes,etc.etc.etc. I made A surprise visit and took it back home. Not saying you are going to have problems but stay involved, remember, they work for you !!!! Nothing done and no respect will never fly with me. Just my thoughts. P.S. A shop about A mile from my home did it with NO PROBLEMS. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

When putting on the front brakes, the shop broke a retaining spring - so Monday morning, I'll be calling Bernbaum/Kanter/usual suspects for a set to FedEx directly to Drexel Automotive. But they put me on alert - they want to give Faulkner a driving test, and the Dick Koch patented milk crate seat (TM) won't do. They want a bona fide seat. So, I spent today cleaning up and painting the front seat frame, even though I still have to replace two broken mounting bolts. I'll take care of that once Faulkner is home.

IMG_8328.JPG
Note to self: This is how the springs go. The "poor man's bead blaster" to the rescue in cleaning these up!
IMG_8340.JPG
It was mild today - cooler in the Faulkner garage than outside! A little heater help with drying the paint
IMG_8342.JPG
Seat frame all spruced up

Tomorrow night I'll slap everything back together, and deliver Tuesday morning to the shop.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

What the hell - might as well drill the bolts out now, right?

IMG_8351.jpg
No square pegs in these round holes - 5/16" cap bolts will do
IMG_8354.JPG
Glad I took pichuhs of the springs
IMG_8355.JPG
all the pieces parts back together
IMG_8356.JPG
The Plymouth seat goes to the shop in a Chebbie?!? Oh, the ignominy...

Bernbaum was fresh out of the brake retainer springs, so I had to go to Kanter - it cost me as much to overnight them, as it did to buy them, but it's done; they should arrive tomorrow. Tomorrow morning, I'll drop off the seat at the shop for them to bolt in for a test drive. If I can nab some pix, I will.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Those square holes are designed for carriage bolts that have a square under the head!
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I know they are, Dick - but did you ever try to punch one out?!? They won't go. I just drilled through it; and I don't own a drill that drills square holes. Maybe for Christmas. :roll:
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

They make em you know, google it.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I'll be danged! A combined auger/chisel. That's pretty spiffy! I learn a lot from hanging out with old Ace Hardware guys.
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Dan, the seat hardware is looking good as new, whats the plan for the upholstery and door panels?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks Will! The upholstery and door panels aren't original, but still in very good condition - and they pay homage to the form of the original. But a red interior in a bronze car won't cut it, so I'll be painting them with vinyl paint, black with bronze accents. When the weather warms back up again! :o :D

IMG_0102.JPG
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The brakes are done, they were working on the exhaust yesterday. They're working from the rear forward (because they have to make up the lead pipes), and they wanted to know the placement of the tailpipes. There's no bumper to guide them! I sent the following two pix of a fellow member's car (guess who), and offered to bring the bumper over - but they said no need, the pix tell the story. Thanks Dick!

IMG_8363.JPG
IMG_8364.PNG

They put the seat in, maybe Faulkner will get his road test today and come home tomorrow.

If I pay up, that is. :? :o Ka-ching, Ka-ching!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Not having any toys to play with, I spent some time in the garage tidying up and vacuuming. It sure is lonely in there...

IMG_8370.jpg

(*sigh*...) And no Martha parked in the driveway. Will they be home for Christmas? Or only in my dreams?

Hit it, Frank.

I'll be home for Christmas
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan; I had the same exhaust tip question when I did mine. I went with straight out the back only because I was, and already had exhaust tips. Otherwise I would have gone the way Dick did his, it looks great. To each his own. I have seen some angle to each side as well. As for the empty garage that is only temporary, sit A spell and have A Yuengling or two. Later Mark. P.S. President George H W Bush's funeral train (locomotive) is an EMD SD 70 AC They go back to the early 90's when they went from DC to AC traction motors. It was General Motors answer to G.E.'s Dash 9 They look similar to ours. We did A presidential locomotive in the early 70's, don't know what become of it ?
IMG_0006.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Those tips look sweet, Mark! Yeah, for activities of longer duration - like, waiting and waiting - I switch to shiraz timers. They help me forget all sense of time... :cry:

I saw pictures of 4141 going by the crowds... Pretty impressive.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner comes home tomorrow! They did a lot of work - brakes all around, including master/wheel cylinders, exhaust, wheel bearings, U-joint and idler arm bushing. At surprisingly less than what I expected to pay. I'll be taking pix.

They also flushed the power steering, to no avail. It still steers like a truck. Apparently, the rebuilt pump is defective. I hope to be able to pull it tomorrow and return it to the shop for repair.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner's safely ensconced in the garage once more! I found the receipt for the pump rebuild, pulled the pump and returned it to the shop.

IMG_8412.JPG
IMG_8413.JPG

Drexel Automotive will also do the brakes on Martha. If, Martha ever comes home... ( :o :( :cry: ) The broker who was handling the deal for transport, seems to have fallen off planet earth. I might be back to Square One again.