Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Mark Merritt

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan; Looks like the elephant is getting smaller. Looking good !! Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Dan,
Just in case she gets back up... I can bring the .460 Weatherby Magnum . I have only fired her once, kills in one direction and wounds in the other.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Bring it on, Rick! And don't forget to bring the Colorado Native.

Native.JPG
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Dan,
I am thirsty.. I better bring extra. We have good beer, because we have great water. just not too much of it.
Post script... We also higher muzzle velocities being we have less atmosphere to interfere.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Has anyone had success with Gary's rubber door wire tubing? I have a pair of tubes - I'm thinking, this is the time to pull the wires back into the passenger compartment, and install them with the wiring after the car is painted.

wiretube.png

My grommets are still there, but the original tubing is split in places. I could remove everything now - I also have Vincent Van Humbeeck's door switch housings to install after I reinstall the wires in the door.

How do the tubes stay on the grommet - does the grommet actually fit inside the tubing, and you insert the tubing inside the hole where the grommet holds it in place? Anyone have pix?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

No pix today - but, Forward (Look) progress! I bought a bunch of fluids today at AutoZone, and prepared for the big crank. Filled the radiator with antifreeze, no leaks! Same for the power steering. Of course, running under throttle will tell the tale.

I oiled the valve stems and pushrods, then locked down the valve covers at 50 inch-pounds (thanks, Ricky). I then parked the battery (purchased from 2002!) on the shelf; I've kept it on trickle charge these 16 years. It will soon be replaced, but still useful for the big crank. I'll be dripping some oil in each cylinder tomorrow, before I fire it up. I tapped the positive cable to the battery - no sparks, a good thing! I cabled up, and turned the ignition switch to the run position - AMP and OIL lights lit up, as expected! And, with no gas in the tank, the gauge was parked.

I then filled the tank with fresh gas from a 2.5 gallon container, and again switched the ignition to run - and the gauge moved off the parked position! This is great news - regardless of what the new gauge reports with the tank full, it will be important to know when I am low on gas, and this test confirms it.

I've primed the gas line with my pump. Tomorrow, I prime the engine for oil - then, fire it up! And, hope to see that the AMP light goes out, before the neighbors call the cops :shock: :evil:
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Super exciting!! She will be making power in no time :D
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I so sited, GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I have a new distributor cap, rotor and wires - but I decided to use the old ones, in case it didn't start. Problems would be easier to diagnose that way. It occurred to me that I could crank the engine with the ignition off by jumping the contact on the starter relay, so that's what I did. I nearly ran the battery down just cranking it, and I could tell by the speed of the engine that the juices were flowing, so I prepared to start it. But wait! Why the strong gas smell?

My fuel pump and filter assembly had at least three leaks. First, the clamp I put on the flex line to the pump was defective, and I replaced that. And the pump was leaking from the bottom! I think the diaphragm is in there, and I could see there is a neoprene gasket. I tightened the big screw at the bottom and that leak stopped, but I'm guessing there will be a rebuilt fuel pump in my future. And there was also a leak from the output fitting of the glass Carter filter. I backed it out and took a good look at it, but the seat doesn't seem damaged in any way. I put gas teflon on the other end of the fitting (no, I know not to use it on the compression side) and put it all back together - nope, I still got a leak. But not enough to blow myself up, so I decided to try starting it up.

I switched the ignition on, and cranked the starter from the engine compartment.

Yeah, after she starts, remove the starter relay wire, Dan! That's the whine after the first attempt
Success!! And look Ma, no engine lights!

Somehow, I miraculously got all the wiring right, including my home-made wiring harness. I didn't take the engine to temperature to see if I have any coolant leaks, but that can wait until after the shop puts on the exhaust system and brakes.

I still have to put the drum on where I had redone the axle seals, I think I'll do a half-hearted bleed on the cylinder. Who knows, maybe I won't have to rely on the emergency when I back Faulkner down the drive to the waiting tow truck. And of course, it will help to put the driveshaft back in (after I replace the universal joint) :P But it's close enough now, that I can taste it.

What are folks recommendations for my fuel problems?

P.S. In case you were wondering! I have a small radiator overflow tank, the basket for which made a convenient hanger for my iphone
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

(*tap*, *tap*...) Hey, is this mike on?!? Faulkner's 318 is running again!

I'd like to keep the glass bowl Carter fuel filter, but I think I need new fittings. And, is there anyone out there that makes custom flared fuel line tubing?

And what about the wire loom tubing, a couple of posts up? Has anyone replaced these?

Sigh... :cry: The Forum is mighty quiet these days.

80555-full.jpg
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Congratulations, engine sounds good.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan; the motor sounds great, you got it right. I was looking at past posts what is left? Looks like paint and interior? Did you get A painter nailed down? You have come A long way. It is going to be A nice ride!!!!! Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks Mark! I'm running out of time, so I'm going to farm out the brakes and exhaust to a local guy who does my daily driver inspections, but also works on classics. And the body work and paint will come from the body shop that repaired my hood. Then, to slap it all back together before Carlisle...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I ordered an Airtex 711 fuel pump from Amazon - 10 bucks cheaper than Rock Auto, and free shipping! You gotta love Amazon Prime...

61gD7Pi6XNL._SL1485_.jpg

I'm thinking the culprit for the leak is the brass fitting on the output side of the filter, which I've removed to match up at the local NAPA shop. I plan to redo all the connections - replace the rubber tubing and clamps, yellow gas teflon tape all but the compression fitting, and hope that the steel flare on the tube to the carb is intact. Time will tell.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick, did you replace these?

wiretube.png