Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Faulkner

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Faulkner »

Michael's headed straight for the panhandle - I hope that by now, Dick, you are headed south to Palm Beach Gardens, and not still driving US 10. Send up a flare, will ya?!?

I think I'm going to go ahead and order those long J-bolts from Vans, on the likely prospect that your straps are not for a (rare) 23 gallon tank.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Just got home a couple of hours ago. Let me find the straps and get back to you.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Nope - Mine measure the same as yours. All you need is a coupling nut and a short piece of threaded rod. At my ACE we have coupling nuts up to 3/4" and threaded rod 3" and 6" long or longer.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks Dick! I think if I were going to use a coupling nut, I would just use a bolt at the right length rather than all thread and a nut. But I ordered the longer J-bolts before I saw your reply, so let's see how I make out with those.

Glad to hear you are home safe and sound from "Cruisin' the Coast. Post some pix in "It's Show Time"!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

There's a chance the J-bolts will arrive tomorrow. Meanwhile, some more tinkering in the engine compartment...

IMG_8044.JPG
I backed out the fitting and put in a close nipple, in hopes I could turn an elbow without having to remove the thermostat housing; no such luck
IMG_8047.JPG
So, off it came - here's everything back together
IMG_8050.JPG
Before I installed the recently rebuilt heater valve, I wired it closed - I need to rebuild the heater assembly under the dash, but I don't want to commit to that before Carlisle. There's enough gasket fragments to make a template for a replacement I'll make from a neoprene sheet
IMG_8051.JPG
Getting there! A busy day tomorrow, but maybe the radiator goes back in on Sunday
IMG_8048.JPG
What's the fitting for?

Oh yeah! What's this fitting for in the last pic? I seem to recall it from before, and wondering what - if anything - goes there. Is it for servicing? I don't think I had anything connected to it.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Rechromed. Rebuilt. Renewed!

bezels.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

(*Tap*, *Tap*...) Hey, is this mike on?!?

What's this fitting for?

fitting.JPG
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

It's the vacuum connection to the vacuum advance on the carburetor. This picture is from the 2 bbl. On the convert.
Dick
20181014_133834.jpg
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

This is a picture of Greenies 361 four barell carburetor, it's the vacuum connection to the vacuum advance.
Dick
20181014_140215.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

D'Oh! But of course. I have to hunt around in my stash of parts for that male fitting, and replace the rubber tubing. Here I was thinking this doodad - a thin little tube off of the rear vacuum line for the power brakes- was where the vac advance had been plugged into. But now I realize, that's for the dashboard heater control switch. I'll have to put a cap on that until I'm ready to redo the heater controls.

vacuum.jpg

I never got to hang the radiator today, but I did finish the power brake hoses and install the radiator core. In the process, I also managed to snap a bolt :o :shock: It's in an inconspicuous spot, and wouldn't be noticed - but it's bothering me now. I guess I'll drill it out... (*sigh*.) Nibbles of the elephant.

core.jpg
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I would suggest that instead of rubber hose you use the white poly tubing, thats what is on Greenin and zero chance of collapsing. Can be sourced at ACE.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

More nibbles. I'm beginning to like the taste of elephant!

IMG_8087.JPG
It turned out to be quite easy drilling the bolt out with a hardened bit.
IMG_8088.JPG
Ran a tap to clean out the threads, new bolt is in, Voila! Now I have a clear conscience 8^)
IMG_8090.JPG
Radiator's in, some more of this and that.

The J-bolts arrived from Vans, and they are quite longer! Now to reshape the straps, and bolt the tank in.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:38 pm The J-bolts arrived from Vans, and they are quite longer! Now to reshape the straps, and bolt the tank in.
Yeah. Well, maybe tomorrow - the best laid plans, and all that.

I did find the vacuum fitting for the carb - and it was attached to the metal vacuum tube! I bought some of that white poly tubing to make up the connection to the vacuum advance - I recall it being black, but I think I tossed it because it was dry-rotted.

vac.jpg

I expect in a week or two, I'll be firing up the 318 - after I crank it for a while with the coil wire disconnected to get the juices flowing. I plan to first strategically put drops of oil on the valve guides before lashing down the valve covers. Hey, should I also put a few drops in each cylinder? It will make for a helluva smokey mess when I fire it up - but maybe it will be so loud without exhaust, I won't even notice :twisted:
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

...and the tank is in! Those extra long J-bolts were what I needed.

tank.jpg
A little paint touchup here and there, but all hooked up. Notice my Gary Goers ground strap to the frame! A little obsessive, mebbe...

I think next weekend is the big crank - first without a coil wire. What do folks think of my "oil in the cylinders" idea? Not particularly helpful?

Oh yeah - question #2: How many inch-pounds on the valve cover bolts?
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Do it...but just ground the coil wire, do not leave it out.
valve cover bolts are torqued to 50 inch pounds.