My '59 Sport Fury

ChippLake1

My '59 Sport Fury

Post by ChippLake1 »

New member here- I actually bought my Sport Fury in spring 2017, just now joining here. Not new to the Forward Look, I once had a '57 Chrysler Saratoga 2-door hardtop and a '56 Dodge Coronet Lancer 4-door hardtop. Looking forward to spring and getting my Plymouth out- '59 has always been my favorite! Oh, and I am dire need of the lower front bumper stone guard, the one I have I've been told can't be repaired... Anyway, glad to join and more pics this spring.

Regards,

Steve
IMG_6736.JPG
fullsizeoutput_18c4.jpeg
IMG_7078.JPG
IMG_6733.JPG
william0431

Re: My '59 Sport Fury

Post by william0431 »

Hello and welcome Steve!

That is one gorgeous SF!!! I love the color combination and she looks to be in fantastic shape. Looking forward to seeing some more photos.

-William
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Welcome aboard Steve! Yes, a classy looky 59SF, indeed.

A valance is hard to come by - they are like hen's teeth. Do you mean to say you have one, it's just ripped up? Here's the miracle that Dick Koch worked with mine. I seem to recall that John Fowlie had one that was flat as a pancake, and he somehow brought it back. Perhaps all is not lost...

At any rate, whatever advice you need, or parts - you'll find it here. Thanks for joining!

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Hi Steve; Nice ride!! The valance can be repaired, I know I had mine done. They are hard to find but not impossible. Good bunch of guy's on here and have alot of skill and ideas. Welcome!!!!!! Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
ChippLake1

Post by ChippLake1 »

Faulkner wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:26 am Welcome aboard Steve! Yes, a classy looky 59SF, indeed.

A valance is hard to come by - they are like hen's teeth. Do you mean to say you have one, it's just ripped up? Here's the miracle that Dick Koch worked with mine. I seem to recall that John Fowlie had one that was flat as a pancake, and he somehow brought it back. Perhaps all is not lost...

At any rate, whatever advice you need, or parts - you'll find it here. Thanks for joining!

Dan
Oh wow, that looks great! I do have one, it is in similar shape. I took it to the guy redoing my air cleaner and he said it was in too bad a shape, maybe I can find someone else to do it. Here's some pictures of mine.
IMG_1841.jpeg
IMG_1842.jpeg
IMG_1843.jpeg
IMG_1845.jpeg
ChippLake1

Post by ChippLake1 »

Thank you everyone for the kind words! I definitely fell in love with the colors- mainly the interior being the spring color of turquoise, really pops with the white exterior. I also verified it is the correct color combo via the tag on the firewall and the build sheet I got from Chrysler. The car looks good, but I definitely have some bugs to work out on it- turn signals aren't working right, driver door doesn't close quite right, and then the middle section of the headliner missing, and the radio is not hooked up. Thinking about doing the conversion with the original radio, I saw a post about that on here. More to come as soon spring has sprung!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Steve, I'd say that valance is definitely salvageable. Now, I know a guy... :wink: Yo Dick, you lurking in this topic? :o :roll:
william0431

Post by william0431 »

There is definitely enough left of that valance to work with. Much better shape then some of them out there. Being that low they tend to always be dented / Smashed. Wonder what the story is on it being red? From a donor car maybe? I believe they were all argent silver from factory... either way with a little hammer and patch work I'm sure it can be saved. Also, fully agree on your taste in color! :mrgreen:
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Nice Sport Fury!!!

Share some more info about it!
Post that build sheet if you can, I can decode that :D
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
ChippLake1

Post by ChippLake1 »

william0431 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:55 pm There is definitely enough left of that valance to work with. Much better shape then some of them out there. Being that low they tend to always be dented / Smashed. Wonder what the story is on it being red? From a donor car maybe? I believe they were all argent silver from factory... either way with a little hammer and patch work I'm sure it can be saved. Also, fully agree on your taste in color! :mrgreen:
That is good news, hopefully I can find someone to repair it and bring it back to life! It is from a donor car that came with it when I bought it, so it's not the original one. I was wondering why it was red, too- must have been painted at some point many years ago.
ChippLake1

Post by ChippLake1 »

Matthew Keij wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:36 am Nice Sport Fury!!!

Share some more info about it!
Post that build sheet if you can, I can decode that :D
Hi Matt!

You were an amazing help last summer, you already decoded my sheet and I thank you again! But here it is with your comments:

312- accessory group which included back up lights, windshield washers and variable speed windshield wipers $27.85
305- front and rear rubber bumper guards (don't see any holes in your front bumper so it's been changed over time, your rear guards were missing if I remember) $1350
373- Golden commando $86.50
345- hot water heater $74.40
403- remote control mirror including a matching passenger side mirror (also known as the deluxe mirrors) $26.25
301- power steering $76.60
302- power brakes $42.60
441- radio $73
13- 8.00x14 white walls $41.75
293- torqueflite 3 speed automatic $226.90
502- undercoating including fiberglass hood pad $12.85
533- axle ratio 3:31 (standard was 2:93)
602- sold car, your car was a car that was sold and the ordered

With the price of the Sport Fury hardtop $2927.25 it's a total of $3629.45 back in 1959.

Also, a pic of my plate I had engraved with my name (since it was blank):
fullsizeoutput_17fc.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1821.jpeg
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Damn! I beat myself to it :lol:
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
ChippLake1

Post by ChippLake1 »

I got the air cleaner all ready to go.
FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_8234.jpeg
william0431

Post by william0431 »

That cleaned up beautifully!!! Love the look of the satin gold!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Classy! You deserve an atavar on your posts - and so it is done!

Dan