GAS FILL TUBE BLOW BACK

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Dick Koch

GAS FILL TUBE BLOW BACK

Post by Dick Koch »

Every time l fill my gas tanks on all three cars l have quite a bit of gas blowing out of the tank. I'm curious, is it just me or how many of you have the same problem. I have rubber diverters (GRIOT) that fit around the top neck of the tube, then l use a couple of paper towels under that to catch the gas. The fill tube has a curved piece of metal inside to allow air to escape as the tank fills, l assume.. Should that relief channel be at 12 o'clock or 6 oclock. I even bend over with my ear close to the tube listening for that gurgling sound so l can stop before the gas blows out, success rate is about 30 percent.
HELP,
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Mark Merritt

Re: GAS FILL TUBE BLOW BACK

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dick; My Buick does it too. If you don't stop it in time it will puke up some gas. I think it caused from the fill tube being much larger than today's cars and the flow rate is much more faster than the pumps of yesterday.Everyone is in A hurry and wants to gas up quicker.On the Buick club website someone made A restriction that was just big enough to fit today's nozzle.I heard of one made of rubber and another made from A beer can. Some one else made some kind of rubber shield that fit over the gas nozzle and then covered /sealed the fill tube. Could make A few bucks tackling that problem. In the mean time I do as you do and listen for the sound when it gets near the top. Mine is at 12:00 clock. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Yes, 12 o'clock makes sense.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Same here!! I spill around $2 every time.

Gas is expensive over here so I try not to spill any
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
schlaaj

Post by schlaaj »

I cannot solve the problem of lost gas in the filling process, but have a solution to any gas running out of the filling tube during a fill up. Bob Hinds (Previous Owner of my car) utilized a funnel with a hole cut in the side of funnel near the top. (See attached photos) Hole should be larger than car's filler tube. Before inserting the nozzle, hook the funnel over the neck of the filler tube and then insert pump nozzle. Funnel will catch overflow gas and direct it away from the side of car onto the ground. Otherwise overflow gas will run down the side of your car and behind and along the chrome trim below. (You can wipe off the gas on the side of the car but not the gas that runs along the backside of the chrome trim. Consequently, that gas will run horizontaly behind the chrome strip and then drool down the side of the car creating and unsightly mess.
Gas Tank Filler Tube -1.JPG
Gas Tank Filler Tube Funnel Attachment.JPG
Gas Tank Filler Tube Funnel with hole cut out..JPG
Gas Tank Filloer Tube Funnel -redirects gas overflow away from car..JPG