PUSHBUTTON SHIFTER.

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Mark Merritt

Re: PUSHBUTTON SHIFTER.

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dick; Starting at the top (D) and going down (N R 2 1 ) does the cable length keep increasing? Or does it go out then pull back A little on one of them? Just trying to remember how it worked,I thought on one of the button pushes it retracts A little .It is funny the two that are off are the ones next to each other. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark - Put the seat back in and took a drive. Pushed neutral and took off, shifted where supposed to, the buttons all feel about the same pressure when pushed. drives beautifully, I may just leave it alone and drive it like it is. The drive button should be in the 3rd. detent and the Neutral button should be in the 4th. detent. Mine is just the opposite.

Looking at the pictures drive is in the 3rd. detent, neutral is in the 4th., reverse is in the last, 2nd is in the 2nd., and 1st. is in the 1st. So the shifter cable pin should move toward the driver when pushing 2nd. and a little bit more toward the driver when pushing 1st.
Now that you are as confused as I am, I'm going to go take a power nap.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dick; there must be some kind of play at the striker bar(the part goes across the two sides of the assembly and attaches to the cable).When the button D is pushed in how far is it sticking out of the trim garnish,and when N is pushed how far is that one in/sticking out? Pics are not to good but #5 and #6 are in N, #7(last shot) is in D I was thinking of taking mine out and lubing it anyway,the car is not going anywhere,I do notice that the striker bar when D and N are pushed moves very little,A little play would not be good.Hope this helps A little, Mark
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark - Strangely the buttons protrude the same amount from the faceplate and have a definite click or clunk when engaged unlike Charlene that has no feel when pushing reverse or neutral but is in gear. Drove the Convert 40 miles to a show yesterday in neutral with no problems.
Merry Christmas,
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dick; that is indeed odd,that one is A stumper,anyway HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you, your family,and all others on this site. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Dick Koch wrote:Mark - Strangely the buttons protrude the same amount from the faceplate and have a definite click or clunk when engaged unlike Charlene that has no feel when pushing reverse or neutral but is in gear. Drove the Convert 40 miles to a show yesterday in neutral with no problems.
Merry Christmas,
Dick.
Dick, you have a One of One 59 Plymouth Hybrid if you can drive 40 miles in Neutral...This changes everything! :P

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/