#!%!!# OIL LIGHT!

Got a question? This is the place to ask
eroomas

#!%!!# OIL LIGHT!

Post by eroomas »

Driving my car home from St. Louis. The dreaded OIL light came on. The engine was rebuilt by previous owner mileage on rebuild is unclear although I believe that it is very low. Oil level is perfectly on the full line, oil looks a bit dirty needs to be changed. I have ordered a oil sending unit ( hoping thats the problem.). I know it could be anything from cam bearings to oil pump to clogged filter. does anyone have any insight specific to the 59 Plymouth more specifically the 318 engine with this problem?
Mark Merritt

Re: #!%!!# OIL LIGHT!

Post by Mark Merritt »

$$#%^%^&&%$ I put A brass "T" and run the light as well as A gauge,I have A rebuilt 318 poly and have not or know of any problems with that engine.Could be as you say A pump problem or A bad sender{simple fix},hook up A gauge and run both,those are very good motors.Mine runs at approx 50/55 psi at operating speed,25/30 at idle. Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
eroomas

Post by eroomas »

55 survivor wrote:$$#%^%^&&%$ I put A brass "T" and run the light as well as A gauge,I have A rebuilt 318 poly and have not or know of any problems with that engine.Could be as you say A pump problem or A bad sender{simple fix},hook up A gauge and run both,those are very good motors.Mine runs at approx 50/55 psi at operating speed,25/30 at idle. Mark M
Thanks 55 Survivor, I'm having it looked at, I hope its not too serious. I asked at Autozone if there was a oil pressure gauge I could buy to check the pressure my self but they said they didn't have one and I haven't had time to look elsewhere.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

I run Auto Meter brand,like I said put A "t" where the sender goes in and run both,that way if you are not always looking at the gauge the idiot light is right in front of you and is easily visible,plus with the gauge you can see what the engine/oil pump is doing.Good luck Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!