Priming motor /timing before starting

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Guyman

Priming motor /timing before starting

Post by Guyman »

Getn ready to start my '59 SF for the first time...was wondering if there is a magical solution to prime the oil pressure in the motor to get pressure before I start it?...I primed the oil pump already. Was going to pour some oil in the head chambers , fill the oil filter and fill the rest and install an external oil pressure guage (mechanical) to make sure the pressure is up when it's started.
Any other suggestions?

Timing marks
I have no timing marks or pointer on this (1960) poly 318...any idea on how to check the timing besides putting a white mark on the pulley at tdc? It's at 12o'clock now., so if it's at 12 o'clock with no pointer..how the heck to you install something?..or check the timing.? May be a silly question?

Thanks., Guy
RICKYMOPAR

Re: Priming motor /timing before starting

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Guy,
There is a priming 3/8 hex shaft that is about a foot and a half long available or make your own. You pass it through the distributor opening and into the oil pump drive hole. I use a drill to drive it clockwise (on A Engines) until resistance is felt as the oil circulates through the galleys into every lube passage. then install the distributor.

I have made my own timing pointer out of heavy wire or welding rod. I will check if I have a spare original stamped sheet metal pointer. Rick
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

Do I have to take out the gear drive I already installed that drives the cam? Assuming I need to
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Yes, you are correct.
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

Got engine fired tonight...purrs like a kitten...20 minute break in went well.

Thanks for the help.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Fantastic, Enjoy the drive.
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

still have brakes to do (bleed and get correct master cylinder) and figure out why my transmission is in reverse right now when it should be in neutral.